Damn you Apple!

madlaw1071

Sep 1, 2010
Visit site
Went to Best Buy last night fully intending on buying the 8.3. Since I was buying my wife an iPad Air, I decided to pick up the Mini Retina. Big mistake.

I use my tablet primarily for web browsing, gaming, watching movies and Facebook, Twitter etc. With that in mind, I loaded a few different web pages, 2 different games and 2 HD movies trailers.

I did the identical functions on the Mini Retina and the 8.3. The Mini was noticeably smoother in web browsing, smoother in gaming and the trailers looked better. As many reviews have pointed out, the LG is a bit dim and dark colors tend not to be distinguishable. This was apparent in the trailers.

So I walked out an Air and a Mini Retina. I'll keep rocking with my N5, S4 and One but Apple still rules the roost IMO on tablets although they are ridiculously over-priced.

stujoe

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
I am just the opposite. I will probably never buy anything but an iPhone for my phone but, for tablets, I want Android and have no interest in the iPads.

Just bought a g pad today and it should arrive by Christmas. Currently use a Kindle Fire 1 with CM11.

codeda

Jan 28, 2012
Visit site
I've been so tempted to get the iPad mini this go round.I haven't owned an apple device since an iPod mini back in 2004 but I've been tablet hopping this month and not satisfied with any of them. We shall see.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using AC Forums mobile app

Aug 1, 2013
Visit site
the LG is a bit dim

I have to say I really cannot understand why people say the LG G Pad's display is dim?
I've had this tablet for almost a month, and I usually keep the screen at about 40% (or less) brightness when inside in artificial light, and at about 60 to 70% when outside in daylight. It IS BRIGHT! And if you go anywhere close to 100% you may go blind. So I really do not get the complaints. Either everyone else is blind, or I have hawkeyes... ;)

xchange

Banned
Dec 15, 2013
Visit site
For just another $50 the mini retina simply out performs the gpad in every way. Of course if you can't abide iOS that won't matter. Now if we're talking a $230 n7 and $400 mini price difference, choosing the mini becomes more difficult.

rjl2

May 4, 2010
Visit site
I really wanted a tablet in the 8" range and was looking for a replacement for my Nexus 7 (2012). I was seriously considering the LG when I received the iPad mini retina as a gift.

It is the first Apple product I have ever owned and I have to admit it is very nice. Like the OP, I mostly use my tablet for web, movies and email (no gaming for me). So far, the mini has been great. The screen is awesome, it is very fast, and with the Google apps I use loaded on it works fine for my needs.

I'm sticking with Android for my phone, but I think the iPad mini is a keeper, though as noted the price of entry is quite steep.

dwd3885

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
I would get an iPad, but price too much more than a great android tablet, and the fact that I buy an app on android it'll work on my phone and tab is huge. Don't have to purchase on iOS and Android. That sealed it for me.

Sent from my LG-V510 using Tapatalk 4

dwd3885

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
For just another $50 the mini retina simply out performs the gpad in every way. Of course if you can't abide iOS that won't matter. Now if we're talking a $230 n7 and $400 mini price difference, choosing the mini becomes more difficult.

I'm not sure how it would "outperform the g pad in every way."

xchange

Banned
Dec 15, 2013
Visit site
I'm not sure how it would "outperform the g pad in every way."

It doesn't

Sent from my HTCONE using AC Forums mobile app

• I It's faster than the gpad: The A7 64 bit CPU and PowerVR G6430 GPU are faster than both of what's inside the G Pad. And it shows. The Mini 2 destroys the G pad on benchmarks.
  • has far more tablet optimized apps and a far better game selection
  • a better resolution (2048 x 1536 at 324ppi pixel density vs. 1920x1200 with lower 273ppi pixel density. The Gpad currently has the lowest density of all between these two tablets, the Fire HDX, and the N7), 450 nits of brightness for the iPad Mini 2 against the G Pad's 345 nits
  • iPad's TV connectivity is simply easier than pretty much any Android device, however LG decided to make it worse by going with the Slimport Adapter method rather than the more widely adopted and available MHL standard. (I'm assuming because they wanted to cheap out by not paying MHL licensing fee. Slimport is open license, but the lower quality than MHL is obvious)
  • Mini 2 has twice the headphone voltage output, while the G Pad only offers slightly higher speaker voltage output.
  • Mini 2 is rated 9-11 hours of battery life while G pad is rated at 7-9.
  • More expensive construction quality

[understatement]To name a few... [/understatement]

Price tag is only $50 difference, which makes the G pad the tough one to choose in my books. I'd much rather buy a N7 with the bigger price difference to make it worthwhile. The most I'd pay for a G Pad would be $300 tops. If you can get one of those sales or less, then the list above becomes more irrelevant. As it also does if you simply can't abide iOS, but I already mentioned that point earlier. Personally I'll never pay more than $300 for any tablet at all because I switch them once/year and consider them disposable. I invest more $ in laptops instead since I keep those longer.

Last edited:

cbb77

Nov 27, 2010
Visit site
The g pad is under $300 again. Go buy one :)

Agreed. I just can't see the value in the iPad mini. I think Apple screwed up with that one. Too me, if you are going to spend close to $400 on the mini, then better off spending a little more and getting the iPad Air. You can get the Air for $479 at Walmart and I have seen some specials for $459. Thus to me that is a better spend than $400 on the mini. In any case, as mentioned, the G Pad is currently available at $279. I would bet this will continue to be discounted over the coming months and eventually settle in at at $250 - $280 price point permanently. This way they have a little swing over the GPE version. And at the lower price point, a much better buy to me than the mini.

xchange

Banned
Dec 15, 2013
Visit site
I agree as well, there's not enough difference between the mini and air to go with the mini unless fitting in a jacket or cargo pocket is a big preference.
And at the 270 price you mentioned the g pad becomes better as a choice than their original 350 although I'm biased towards the N7 with a higher ppi at that range

stujoe

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
I would not have paid 350 for the g Pad just as I would not pay $400 for a mini. But, at around 275 vs the current competition, the price for the g Pad is just about right. 400 is way too much for a mini compared to the competition (Air and Android)

erwaso

Mar 11, 2011
Visit site
I agree as well, there's not enough difference between the mini and air to go with the mini unless fitting in a jacket or cargo pocket is a big preference.
And at the 270 price you mentioned the g pad becomes better as a choice than their original 350 although I'm biased towards the N7 with a higher ppi at that range

Thats $199 now plus google play credit lol

dc9super80

Apr 30, 2013
Visit site
I am just the opposite. I will probably never buy anything but an iPhone for my phone but, for tablets, I want Android and have no interest in the iPads.

Just bought a g pad today and it should arrive by Christmas. Currently use a Kindle Fire 1 with CM11.

Why? What's your reasoning? I am the same but only because the nexus is perfect for what I use my tablet for reading and browsing more the former than the latter. Why do you prefer android tablets. If the iPad mini was narrower I would go for it though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

clemson77on

Jun 3, 2013
Visit site
I have the G Pad and my wife has an iPad 4 and there's no way in Hades I'd trade. It's not the hardware (although I actually prefer the screen ratio and width of mine to a mini), it's the walled garden of iOS. Also, when we go on trips, we only need to take mine because she has her own user account on my tablet. Try that on an iPad.

stujoe

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Why? What's your reasoning? I am the same but only because the nexus is perfect for what I use my tablet for reading and browsing more the former than the latter. Why do you prefer android tablets. If the iPad mini was narrower I would go for it though.

My tablet is purely for entertainment and fun. I like to be able to customize it and add widgets and wallpapers or a new launcher or even root and rom it. Android fits that. My phone just needs to work. It can be boring and utilitarian as long as it is rock solid and completely useful and reliable when I really need it. iOS fits that. I will say that, if I needed a tablet at work, I'd buy an Air.