Tablet confusion

SiBlackwell

Jul 2, 2013
Visit site
Given the amount of tablets on the market, I can't believe I'm struggling to find one. I'm hoping the forum collective can help me figure it out!!

My phone of choice is a Nexus 5. The best phone I've ever owned (had the N4 before that, and iPhones previous to that).

Tablet wise I had an iPad 2 and then a 64gb iPad Mini (gen 1). I've lost my Mini to the wife and kids and now need another tablet for work at under the ?250 price point.

Despite my love of Android I always felt Apple was the way to go with tablets given the absurd fragmentation and version control issues I witness with Android tablets that results in a lottery as to whether an app will work correctly. This would be a no brainer and I'd go straight in for another gen 1 iPad Mini (the gen 2 Mini and Air pricing is insane) but there's an issue - iOS7. On the Mini it created 2 big problems for me on what at that point was the best tablet I had ever owned; it slowed the device down massively and worst of all the change in font size and type on the non retina display makes reading email or documents on it a disaster. But that said, given the stable ecosystem and pricing, I have to consider a 32gb version as a contender.

I should however be looking at Android as that would be my preference. There is another issue - I want something between 8 and 10 inches. That rules out the Nexus 7 which is an amazing tablet with totally the wrong size screen size. Here's hoping the 8 inch rumours are true. So I've been considering the LG G Pad (which I could root to stock 4.4 if I really felt I needed to) or the 8 inch version of the Samsung Galaxy Tab 3. At the moment I'm favouring the G Pad as the size looks great and I really feel LG are going in the right direction.

I know I'm asking an Android biased audience, but I'd be keen to hear what the concenscious is for Mini gen 1 versus LG G Pad versus Samsung Galaxy Tab 3.

Posted via Android Central App

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Given the amount of tablets on the market, I can't believe I'm struggling to find one. I'm hoping the forum collective can help me figure it out!!

My phone of choice is a Nexus 5. The best phone I've ever owned (had the N4 before that, and iPhones previous to that).

Tablet wise I had an iPad 2 and then a 64gb iPad Mini (gen 1). I've lost my Mini to the wife and kids and now need another tablet for work at under the ?250 price point.

Despite my love of Android I always felt Apple was the way to go with tablets given the absurd fragmentation and version control issues I witness with Android tablets that results in a lottery as to whether an app will work correctly. This would be a no brainer and I'd go straight in for another gen 1 iPad Mini (the gen 2 Mini and Air pricing is insane) but there's an issue - iOS7. On the Mini it created 2 big problems for me on what at that point was the best tablet I had ever owned; it slowed the device down massively and worst of all the change in font size and type on the non retina display makes reading email or documents on it a disaster. But that said, given the stable ecosystem and pricing, I have to consider a 32gb version as a contender.

I should however be looking at Android as that would be my preference. There is another issue - I want something between 8 and 10 inches. That rules out the Nexus 7 which is an amazing tablet with totally the wrong size screen size. Here's hoping the 8 inch rumours are true. So I've been considering the LG G Pad (which I could root to stock 4.4 if I really felt I needed to) or the 8 inch version of the Samsung Galaxy Tab 3. At the moment I'm favouring the G Pad as the size looks great and I really feel LG are going in the right direction.

I know I'm asking an Android biased audience, but I'd be keen to hear what the concenscious is for Mini gen 1 versus LG G Pad versus Samsung Galaxy Tab 3.

Of your choices, I would say the G Pad. I have seen a fair number of threads involving construction flaws/problems with the Tab 3. Now, I do realize a place like this is where rarely anyone posts 'I have no problems with <random device>. Just wanted to say I like it.' So, you may get a good one.

I have another to suggest, and I don't believe it is out yet. http://forums.androidcentral.com/samsung-galaxy-tab-pro-8-4/351369-8-4-tablet.html

SiBlackwell

Jul 2, 2013
Visit site
Thanks for your thoughts. That Samsung does look nice. You just know they'll be charging $$$$ for it though.

SiBlackwell

Jul 2, 2013
Visit site
I need to come in at sub ?250. I've seen the G Pad for as little as ?205, but from online retailers with delivery timelines that lead you to believe you might end up with a grey import that comes with some Japanese plug. To play it safe with a retailer where I know I will get UK spec stock I would be looking at about ?229.

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
I need to come in at sub ?250. I've seen the G Pad for as little as ?205, but from online retailers with delivery timelines that lead you to believe you might end up with a grey import that comes with some Japanese plug. To play it safe with a retailer where I know I will get UK spec stock I would be looking at about ?229.

Give the G Pad a shot.

From a Sprint Moto X using AC Forums app

stujoe

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
For me, it came down to one of the Samsung eights or the LG. I just liked the LG better for the interface. I have an iPhone but have never been interested in an iPad. I like the customization of android for tablets. If I used a tablet for work I might feel different but I find android a lot more fun and that is what I use a tablet for.

Easy4Rider

May 23, 2011
Visit site

Try Electrical 1 2 3 They do a "Free" Next day courier Price is ?195.95 --- I paid ?229 last week!!!!!

Nychotxxx

Jul 26, 2012
Visit site
The samsung galaxy 3 8.0 is slow. Otherwise its nice. The lg g pad stock is great -- i have two. The VERY best samsung is the Note 8.0. On a par with the LG but with the benefit of the S Pen. Both run 4.2.2.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
w8wca