How does the Stock LG G Pad 8.3 Compare to the GPE version?

gorgalis

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
I am looking to buy this tablet, but is it really worth paying $350 for the GPE when you can find the LG skinned version online for $250 to $300?

benhaube

Jan 1, 2014
Visit site
Re: How does the LG version compare to the GPE?

U have the GPE model and I'm exceptionality happy with it. For me personally I hate manufacturers skins on android. They are so obnoxious. For me it was well worth the extra cash for vanilla updates, KitKat, and quick updates in the future.

Posted via Android Central App

boxer2

Oct 15, 2010
Visit site

I'm happy with the LG version, I considered the GPE but decided I wanted the "knock on" feature and some of the other add on's. I don't think knock on is available on GPE but I could be wrong. Knock on is awesome! I think others will copy eventually. It is so convenient, especially if you have a case on the tablet. The tablet is slim so there is not a lot of extra space around the controls, makes it hard to adjust volume while wearing a case.

The native gallery is a lag fest on my device, its a shame because it looks great when it doesn't lag, so I am using QuickPic gallery. Rotation was an issue when I first bought the device but LG sent a system update and now I have no complaint.

You can always run other launchers too if you don't like the LG skin and I found knock on works too, just differently, with Nova launcher knock "on" works most anywhere on the screen, knock "off" only works at the very top of the screen.

I like my Nexus 4 with plain vanilla, I just use it for phone, e-mail, text and browsing for the most part. I like my tablets with the extras that LG offers.

The device is supposed to get KK, if it does I'll be pleased. GPE will most likely get the latest and greatest.

my2cents....good luck

gorgalis

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site

I think I am going to go with the LG version. I read somewhere that CM11 is going stable soon and it keeps the knock on feature.

ffejjj

May 14, 2012
Visit site

I have the original version and it a pleasure using. I actually like a lot of the implementations LG put into their UI

DCSholtis

Feb 10, 2013
Visit site

OG version because I heard the GPE had trouble with SD cards

zedorda

Mar 16, 2011
Visit site

I have the original bc it was on sale for $199 at the time. I will also be using CyanogenMOD once it is stable.

DCSholtis

Feb 10, 2013
Visit site

I have the original bc it was on sale for $199 at the time. I will also be using CyanogenMOD once it is stable.

Great deal. I picked mine up today for $229 at newegg

Mika Kat

Aug 4, 2013
Visit site

I wanted the GPE version but was out of my price range buying from Google with taxes and all. I love the black color of the Google version. I ended up buying mine from eBay brand new sealed in box. I'm happy with the lg version I love knock on.

zedorda

Mar 16, 2011
Visit site

I wanted the GPE version but was out of my price range buying from Google with taxes and all. I love the black color of the Google version. I ended up buying mine from eBay brand new sealed in box. I'm happy with the lg version I love knock on.

I have the LG version and it is black. What is the difference in the black of the GPE? I wanted the white one but it wasn't on sale at the time on Newegg when I bought it.

Mika Kat

Aug 4, 2013
Visit site

I have the LG version and it is black. What is the difference in the black of the GPE? I wanted the white one but it wasn't on sale at the time on Newegg when I bought it.

Wanna trade? Lol I got the white one.

I don't mind the white one though. But black is pretty awesome.

trivor

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site

I got the White for $229 and consider it a great value. Putting a new launcher (Apex) hides most of the worst features of the UI and don't really bother. Love the extra screen size over my Nexus 7 (2013) (which I still own and use).

angry english

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
For the price difference I would go with the regular G Pad, CM11 is more than stable now. I get great battery life, the speakers are much louder, the screen is much brighter, seems 4.4.2 did wonders for this little tablet. Also you get to keep the knock feature going this way.

I've had a few g pads and always changed to try something else. But no matter what I always comeback to it. The G Pad with CM11 is the best tablet out there, only thing I see topping it is the new lg g pad 8.0, and unless it has at least an 801 inside I won't be changing again

Aredubu

Jan 11, 2013
Visit site
For the price difference I would go with the regular G Pad, CM11 is more than stable now. I get great battery life, the speakers are much louder, the screen is much brighter, seems 4.4.2 did wonders for this little tablet. Also you get to keep the knock feature going this way.

I've had a few g pads and always changed to try something else. But no matter what I always comeback to it. The G Pad with CM11 is the best tablet out there, only thing I see topping it is the new lg g pad 8.0, and unless it has at least an 801 inside I won't be changing again

Same here. I have owned 1 LG-skinned G Pad and 2 GPE G Pads. Sold them all and bought a Nexus 10, and currently have a Xperia Z2 tablet. Decided that I am going back the the G Pad and just bought a new one from Amazon. It's really an awesome tablet. Tried to stick with a 10-inch tablet but they're really too large for my needs. The LG-skinned version is really nice and the perfect size for me. If the new G pads offer better specs or more memory, I'll go that route soon.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
johndoe11