Verizon LG G Pad 8.3

Ravynmagi

Nov 11, 2010
Visit site
I ordered the Verizon LG G Pad 8.3 last week for $99 on contract. At $10 a month for 2 years, this LTE model still ends up costing me less than Google Play Edition or wifi MSRP (though I see the wifi model is on sale sometimes for about $250). After buying the Dell Venue 8 Pro, I've been itching to get an 8 inch Android tablet. I also already have the Nexus 7 2013 and iPad Mini with Retina.

The tablet has a great feel in the hand. I love the 8.3 inch size, I can easily wrap my hand around this and use it for one handed reading without fatigue. The aluminum is nice and doesn't slip, the build quality is pretty good, only minor creaking on my unit if I push on the corners, which only happens sometimes when picking it up by the corner. But otherwise feels very solidly built.

Apparently there are a couple of differences with the Verizon model besides the obvious LTE radios. First the SoC is 200MHz slower at 1.5GHz instead of 1.7GHz. Second the Verizon model appears to be thicker. LG lists the G Pad 8.3 at 0.33 inches, but on Verizon's website it's listed at 0.35 inches. It's possible Verizon just made an error in the specs, but on Amazon and XDA people have mentioned cases don't quite fit properly on the Verizon model, like the tablet is a bit thicker.

I'm not impressed with the display, but I call it good enough and it hasn't bothered me. The issue is the black levels are not good causing a crushing effect in dark scenery or lack of detail. I used the display tests at LCD monitor test images and the black levels show very little distinction between the boxes, the white saturation test also shows a similar problem. Most of my everyday usage of the tablet doesn't involve dark scenery where the crushed blacks are noticeable, so I can live with the problem. And the colors at least look correct and the pixel density is nice, so it's satisfactory.

The sound quality from the speakers also trails behind most high end tablets like the Nexus 7 2013, iPad Mini with Retina, Fire HD, or Dell Venue 8 Pro I've used. However I'm pleased they are at least very loud speakers and find they sound to be good enough.

Apparently the existing root methods for the G Pad 8.3 do not work on the Verizon model and no one has come up with a working root solution yet. And there appears to be little to no development activity on XDA for the Verizon model. So for now I'm stuck with the LG/Verizon experience.

The first thing that bugged me about the LG UI was the white button bar. I looked around the settings and saw there were themes, but it didn't seem to let me change the button bar. It took me a day or two before I stumbled upon the Front Touch Buttons setting under Display (have to scroll down to advanced settings). It lets me choose between black or white and flat or gradient effects. There are also some different button layout options, but I stuck with the default, they don't have an option to add the Recent Apps button. I'm liking the UI more now that I have a flat black button bar. Wish I could kill the gradient effect on the top system bar too, but can't.

Another UI issue I had is the UI looked bigger than normal. I thought this was a DPI setting issue I could only fix with root access. But found the problem was really with the default font size LG is using. Back in Display Settings, I changed the font size from Medium to Small. Now the UI looks normal sized, the Chrome browser bars take up less screen space for example. I also changed the Font type to Roboto since that's what I'm used to seeing on my Nexus 5 and 7. Looking a bit more normal now.

The tablet seems to have a bit more lag than my Nexus 7 2013, despite having the very same SoC. But it still feels pretty fast, so not complaining too much. The main thing that bugs me is the rotation animation. It's slow and very jerky. I almost feel like I'm using a Honeycomb tablet with this animation. Also often when I rotate the wallpaper disappears for a second and then repaints itself. It's ugly. I definitely hope someone comes up with a ROM or something that allows for a more GPE like experience.

It's got some imperfections. But it is a rather cheap 8.3 inch LTE tablet and feels like a pretty good value. And even the wifi model on sale for $250 looks like it would be good if you really don't want to spend $400 on an iPad Mini or Galaxy 8.4 Pro. So I'm happy with the tablet.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Do you think that the g pad is worth it at $50 over the Nexus 7 on contract price?

dpham00, Android Central Moderator
Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 3 via Tapatalk Pro

Haalcyon

Banned
Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
I had a Nexus 7 LTE and it was just perfect. I didn't keep it but I should have kept it. I would recommend it over the G Pad for its dev support. Funny enough, I have the G Pad which has been handed down to my 4-year old. It's a nice tablet too, very nice indeed.

4 of IV

Ravynmagi

Nov 11, 2010
Visit site
Do you think that the g pad is worth it at $50 over the Nexus 7 on contract price?

It's hard to say. I think it'll be a matter of screen size preference. The Nexus 7 is definitely a better tablet, better display, speakers, build quality, operating system. But some people, myself included, find 7 inch tablets a little to small and 8 inches to be a better size. And the G Pad 8.3, while not as good as the Nexus 7, is still a pretty good tablet.

I have both tablets in my hands... and if I had to only pick one... it's tough because I really do like the 8.3 inch size, but I think I'd still go with the Nexus 7 because it just feels like a better quality product and I like have Android 4.4 on it, having a rooted tablet, and the large developer community that makes lots of customizations and ROMs for the Nexus.

popezaphod

Nov 13, 2010
Visit site
Over at XDA it looks like you can Kingo root it if you're willing to risk using Kingo. People have removed VZW bloat, but no loader or custom ROMs... yet.

Krazyhaze

Apr 13, 2011
Visit site
Does anyone know how much ram the verizon model has? It shows only one gig on the verizon website. The wifi model being sold offers two gigs. Also verizon has it for 49.95 with 2yr contract right now.

anon(20073)

May 2, 2010
Visit site
Does anyone know how much ram the verizon model has? It shows only one gig on the verizon website. The wifi model being sold offers two gigs. Also verizon has it for 49.95 with 2yr contract right now.

I think it's 2gb, i just bought 2 on Friday they are nice tablets.

popezaphod

Nov 13, 2010
Visit site
Running my VZW G Pad 8.3 with Nova Launcher and having removed cruft with Titanium Backup after rooting with Kingo. Work on getting TWRP installed is going slowly, but the tablet is still delightful even without a AOSP KitKat ROM on it.

jeremy81

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
Besides the obvious LTE Radio it has a slower processor Snapdragon 400 1.5GHz(same as Nexus 7 2013) versus the Snapdragon 600 on the Wifi version.

Haalcyon

Banned
Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
Besides the obvious LTE Radio it has a slower processor Snapdragon 400 1.5GHz(same as Nexus 7 2013) versus the Snapdragon 600 on the Wifi version.

Really? I wonder why they gave it less of a CPU. Battery life is the only reason I can think of. I have the WiFi version and it's lagg is palpable.

Sent from 1 f IV 🔘

Scott8881

Jun 5, 2012
Visit site
I've been considering the VZW Gpad 8.3 as a replacement for my Xoom LTE. The Xoom has become agonizingly slow, do you think I'm going to notice a massive improvement with the Gpad?
I had been looking at the Note 10.1 2014 edition, but it's hard to part with that kind of cash. I'm used to a 10" tablet, and this 8.3" size is the only smaller one that feels useable. While I love Nexus, the 7" tablet is just so small in comparison IMHO.