I've got the LG G Watch R, you've got questions. Let's do this.

Alex Dobie

Executive Editor, Android Central
Dec 20, 2010
Visit site
I've got the LG G Watch R on my wrist (black, US version) ahead of the global launch.

We'll have a full review soon. In the meantime, drop any questions here and I'll do my best to answer. (Obviously leave any battery life questions for a couple days.)

wm-gwar.jpg

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
How's the battery??!!! Oh, right... wait for those haha.

Umm, I guess I'd like to know how bright it is outside and how do you cope with this not having the ambient light sensor. If possible, comparing it to a Moto360 would be nice, even if briefly. How big/heavy does it feel?

Alex Dobie

Dec 20, 2010
Visit site
Is the bezel more decorative or is functional (useful) ?

Posted via Android Central App
It's mostly decorative .... though who knows what hardware is lurking inside it — the chunkier frame means more space for battery.

How's the battery??!!! Oh, right... wait for those haha.

Umm, I guess I'd like to know how bright it is outside and how do you cope with this not having the ambient light sensor. If possible, comparing it to a Moto360 would be nice, even if briefly. How big/heavy does it feel?
It's pretty damn bright. Haven't had the chance to use it in daylight yet (it's dark now), but it's significantly brighter than the OG LG G Watch.

No Moto 360 here. Feels pretty lightweight. Lack of ambient light sensor is still an annoyance.

Abionic

Jan 7, 2013
Visit site
Why didn't they put the ambient light sensor into the bezels? They look pretty big.

Posted via Android Central App-

Via HTC One

Alex Dobie

Dec 20, 2010
Visit site
How is the screen resolution compared to the moto 360?
Moto 360 is 320x290 because of the cut-off at the bottom. GWaR is 320x320, and on a smaller screen so pixel density is greater.
Why didn't they put the ambient light sensor into the bezels? They look pretty big.

Posted via Android Central App-

Via HTC One
Good question. There's nowhere really flat around the bezel that I could see as an obvious spot for an ambient light sensor, though.

Grant Gelinas-Brown

Feb 21, 2014
Visit site
While I appreciate the aesthetic of the bezel. do you you think it will be more of a detractor for well designed watch faces who don't make use of the 15-30-45 time markers? Does this limit the watch in some way from a design perspective?

Alex Dobie

Dec 20, 2010
Visit site
In pictures it looks gigantic, how does it feel when worn and when compared to conventional watches.
I'm OK with the size. It's big, but not massively cumbersome — and I don't have gigantic wrists.

While I appreciate the aesthetic of the bezel. do you you think it will be more of a detractor for well designed watch faces who don't make use of the 15-30-45 time markers? Does this limit the watch in some way from a design perspective?
Probably. It definitely looks better with analog watch faces.

dagold99

Jun 17, 2010
Visit site
When the screen is in dimmed mode how is the screen? Is it more visible than the lg watch? Is the dimmed mode brighter than the lg watch? Thanks

Seven2k

May 17, 2010
Visit site
Moto 360 is 320x290 because of the cut-off at the bottom. GWaR is 320x320, and on a smaller screen so pixel density is greater.
Good question. There's nowhere really flat around the bezel that I could see as an obvious spot for an ambient light sensor, though.

Sorry let me clarify...how does it look compared to the moto 360? Do they look the same? Eye ball test :)

MetalMagic

Dec 23, 2012
Visit site
Does the dial bezel seem to get in the way of any swipe gesture's you're making? I feel like it would be the same issue as having a case on your phone, not able to go right up to the edge of the device

hilgerone

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
Does the bezel stand up enough to give a little protection to the lens? Some pictures make it look like it does others don't.

Posted via Android Central App

larryv

Mar 26, 2011
Visit site
The bezel (and the LG G watch R - referred to LG-GR from now on - has a massive useless bezel) is completely decorative and that is where LG is hiding their display drivers, which in turn makes for a very tiny screen (1.3" on the LG-GR vs. 1.56" on the moto 360). Moto 360 on the other hand has no bezel whatsoever, and instead has the flat tire (you have to hide the display drivers somewhere after all). Between the two I 100% prefer the bigger screen and NO bezel of the moto 360, which also makes for a much easier swiping. No question about it. 1.3" screen on the LG-GR is too freaking small and the bezel gets in the way of swiping. And if they had gone for a 1.56" screen, with the massive ugly useless bezel, would have made the watch humongous.

On the question about the ambient sensor, if LG had put an ambient sensor on the bezel, then the bezel would have been many times uglier than it already is with a empty black spot. Make no mistake about it. I very much doubt LG wanted the bezel. But they had to hide the display drivers somewhere. IMO, given the limitations, I think moto 360 made all the right choices with no bezel, bigger screen and the flat tire. Don't get me wrong. Motorola should have put a Qualcomm 400 in there and a OLED screen. But as far as the physical dynamics of the moto 360, it is perfect. I think the 2nd generation moto 360 is going to be a killer one. Qualcomm 400 or higher, better battery, sapphire screen, NFC, GPS, barometer, a few more sensors. Yes, I want it all. :)

Last edited:

jfs101

Trusted Member
Sep 17, 2011
Visit site
I have a Moto 360 and think that it is going to be a bit difficult to do swipes on the G watch R. How does it feel swiping into the bezel?

aitt

Feb 20, 2011
Visit site
The bezel (and the LG G watch R - referred to LG-GR from now on - has a massive useless bezel) is completely decorative and that is where LG is hiding their display drivers, which in turn makes for a very tiny screen (1.3" on the LG-GR vs. 1.56" on the moto 360). Moto 360 on the other hand has no bezel whatsoever, and instead has the flat tire (you have to hide the display drivers somewhere after all. Between the two I 100% prefer the bigger screen and NO bezel of the moto 360. No question about. 1.3" screen on the LG-GR is too freaking small. And if they had gone for a 1.56" screen, with the massive ugly useless bezel, would have made the watch humongous.

This

Posted via the Android Central App

malejo121

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
I'm fan of watches, I own some tags H. And other high end brands. What I look before I buy a watch is the quality feel and disigne. How's the feel in it?

thatguy97

Nov 18, 2013
Visit site
Any problems with screen quality? Would you say it looks better than the the 360s screen?

Posted via Nexus 7 2013 or verizon Galaxy S5 or maybe one day through my moto 360

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chelrie