Towel Root and help request

philosopherisdog

Dec 13, 2011
Visit site
Well, I jumped headfirst and installed towelroot, rooted my phone, and then installed :

SuperSU, G2 Xposed, and Autorec

I haven't run Auto rec, cause I'm not sure what it really even is for sure...haha

I could use some help with the next steps. I am not sure I want to install custom Roms, mostly just mods and things to tweek the stock OS.

I do know that I need to install recovery (is this what Autorec is? but then people say TWRP?) and back up my phone so that if I screw it up or it crashes or bricks I can "go back".

Am I past that or what are my next steps? Thanks (coming here as opposed to XDA, as XDA is a bit confusing at times and some of those threads seem to assume you know all the lingo)

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Well, I jumped headfirst and installed towelroot, rooted my phone, and then installed :

SuperSU, G2 Xposed, and Autorec

I haven't run Auto rec, cause I'm not sure what it really even is for sure...haha

I could use some help with the next steps. I am not sure I want to install custom Roms, mostly just mods and things to tweek the stock OS.

I do know that I need to install recovery (is this what Autorec is? but then people say TWRP?) and back up my phone so that if I screw it up or it crashes or bricks I can "go back".

Am I past that or what are my next steps? Thanks (coming here as opposed to XDA, as XDA is a bit confusing at times and some of those threads seem to assume you know all the lingo)

TWRP and CWM are two of the more popular recoveries. You will need one or the other to do most of what you said you would like to do. A backup (also called a Nandroid) is a good idea.

Can you post the link to the method you used? Sometimes in rooting procedures, flashing a custom recovery is part of the rooting process.

philosopherisdog

Dec 13, 2011
Visit site
TWRP and CWM are two of the more popular recoveries. You will need one or the other to do most of what you said you would like to do. A backup (also called a Nandroid) is a good idea.

Can you post the link to the method you used? Sometimes in rooting procedures, flashing a custom recovery is part of the rooting process.

How to Root ANY Samsung Galaxy S5 Variant (Even AT&T & Verizon) in 20 Seconds Flat ? Samsung Galaxy S5

I followed this guide, with the exception of Step 7.

Do I have to sideload TWRP or is it in the Play store?

philosopherisdog

Dec 13, 2011
Visit site
Also, what does Autorec do if it does not do what TWRP does? Guess I'm confused as to what these two things exactly are - how they are the same/different, their specific uses, and the order in which I would use them (the when...).

Thanks again.

Golfdriver97

Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Also, what does Autorec do if it does not do what TWRP does? Guess I'm confused as to what these two things exactly are - how they are the same/different, their specific uses, and the order in which I would use them (the when...).

Thanks again.

Ok, sorry for any delay. I am too accustomed to PC rooting methods so I had to do a little research in this. It appears that Autorec is an app that installs a custom recovery for you. By the description I saw, in this link: AutoRec - KitKat Recovery Installer - xda-developers
which is for the G2, you run the app and it installs TWRP, and allows you to reboot into recovery.

Edit: I clicked post too soon. Here are a couple other guides to look over about custom recoveries:

http://forums.androidcentral.com/am...recoveries-versus-stock-there-difference.html

http://forums.androidcentral.com/am...00292-guide-how-use-your-custom-recovery.html

philosopherisdog

Dec 13, 2011
Visit site
Alright, so I'm probably just going to run the Autorec app once I back up my stuff.

Would you recommend Titanium Backup? That's one I hear a lot about.

Golfdriver97

Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Alright, so I'm probably just going to run the Autorec app once I back up my stuff.

Would you recommend Titanium Backup? That's one I hear a lot about.

Titanium is a wonderful app, but it will not back up your OS, that is what custom recoveries are for. It backs up your app data and allows for freezing or deletion of apps that users can't remove. I would use this app carefully, and also if you choose to go with a custom ROM, this app may be unnecessary as many custom ROMs are debloated.

With Google starting to store game data on many games, Titanium is almost becoming obsolete.

philosopherisdog

Dec 13, 2011
Visit site
Titanium is a wonderful app, but it will not back up your OS, that is what custom recoveries are for. It backs up your app data and allows for freezing or deletion of apps that users can't remove. I would use this app carefully, and also if you choose to go with a custom ROM, this app may be unnecessary as many custom ROMs are debloated.

With Google starting to store game data on many games, Titanium is almost becoming obsolete.

Ah, okay. Maybe I'm confused. So I should just run Autorec now?

Thanks for your help. I understand that recovery is used for when you flash roms, which I may not do, but I was just wanting to be extra careful as I want to install a lot of mods, and maybe have the option to put a rom on.

I basically like the stock G2, just want some more control over it.

Golfdriver97

Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
So, I ran AutoRec and got to TWRP and am installing the backup. So far so good...

Sorry, started work for the day. As long as you have made a backup of your stock ROM, you should be free to do whatever you like. I would keep the data on your device (I don't know if you can take an SD card).

From a Carbon M8 and AC Forums app

Night29m

Mar 25, 2014
Visit site
According to the website at will root anything with a kernel built before Jun 3/14....i just ran towelroot on my SamsungGalaxy S4 today and worked like a charm...have full root access(I had supers pre-installed so I could test if the binary would install... It failed... But showed as successful after a reboot) .... Was able to set selinux to permissive.... But I am unable to change my security level from high to normal (settings..more..security..) even after freezing KNOX with titanium backup..... Haven't got that figured out yet....
Also... When in download mode it says Knox something 0x0 which I assume means it didn't trigger the Knox counter thing.... But says custom now... Not official (not that I care personally but some ppl do)... I am running stock recovery with stock ROM SGH-I337M i337mvlufne1 with sasktel ...Towelroot dot Com... I used version 2..

Last edited:

rong21

Aug 8, 2012
Visit site
Grunt;

Towelroot and AutoRec roots the G2 and install TWRP 2.7 in about 30 seconds. Rooted mine today, so much easier than rooting the S3 was.

anon(631531)

Jan 5, 2012
Visit site
Grunt;

Towelroot and AutoRec roots the G2 and install TWRP 2.7 in about 30 seconds. Rooted mine today, so much easier than rooting the S3 was.

So i can root this phone, and still use the stock OS? I'm still having fun with it as stock. Battery life is much better than the rooted SGSIII. I found Zooper weather widgets in the Play Store, and i'm busy customizing them to my liking. :p

rong21

Aug 8, 2012
Visit site
So i can root this phone, and still use the stock OS? I'm still having fun with it as stock. Battery life is much better than the rooted SGSIII. I found Zooper weather widgets in the Play Store, and i'm busy customizing them to my liking. :p

yep, that's what I did yesterday. Used towelroot and the autorec ti install TWRP. I'm still on stock, did install xposed framework and Gravity Box to do some tweaking. Using Zooper as well.

No rush to flash roms. Tired of dealing with the issues most have

anon(631531)

Jan 5, 2012
Visit site
yep, that's what I did yesterday. Used towelroot and the autorec ti install TWRP. I'm still on stock, did install xposed framework and Gravity Box to do some tweaking. Using Zooper as well.

O.K., thanks for the info. I'll do some more reading about Towelroot and Autorec.:p

anon(631531)

Jan 5, 2012
Visit site

Got a question for you. How did you install Xposed Framework & Gravity Box on the phone? When i try xposed, first it says "for Samsung only", and then it tries to install, but fails or crashes. I've deleted it for now, until i get it right. SU does grant it permission, but nothing happens.:confused:

bigjj44

Jan 27, 2011
Visit site

Sorry for hitching onto yalls thread...but since i have used towelroot, i cant get into download mode on my GFlex. Can gwt into factory reset but zero luck with download. Volume up and plug in..no luck.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kemberley1