LG G2 + Verizon + Cyanogenmod?

Dreamliner330

Sep 3, 2011
Visit site
I'm looking at picking up a LG G2 on Verizon and loading it with Cyanogenmod. (be nice if the Nexus 5 was on Verizon!).

A quick peek at the cyanogenmod download link shows the current stable build to be 10.2.0, but that looks pretty old.

3 Questions:

1) Is the most current LG G2 OTA update from Verizon able to be rooted and install Cyanogenmod 10.2.0?

2) Will the G2 ever get a new stable Cyanogenmod release, is it even worth getting a G2?

3) How stable is the most current CM11 nightly?

ol chap

Jun 28, 2014
Visit site
You might want to wait before flashing ROMs and stuff, The G2 is getting the L update and if you have a custom recovery you can't upgrade to L without bricking.

Although if you could care less I tried CM11 for a week, I started on a snapshot build and it worked great (asides the battery life which was the most disappointing part of CM11)

Then I felt a bit brave and tried a nightly and the only difference I saw was some new settings options and some fun bugs (sometimes the flashlight will cause a reboot) overall extremely stable even on a nightly.

Although after a week I got bored and flashed nameless ROM which had some very funny bugs at first but was sorted out when I went to a nightly of it.

Posted via Android Central App

Dreamliner330

Sep 3, 2011
Visit site
You might want to wait before flashing ROMs and stuff, The G2 is getting the L update and if you have a custom recovery you can't upgrade to L without bricking.

Although if you could care less I tried CM11 for a week, I started on a snapshot build and it worked great (asides the battery life which was the most disappointing part of CM11)

Then I felt a bit brave and tried a nightly and the only difference I saw was some new settings options and some fun bugs (sometimes the flashlight will cause a reboot) overall extremely stable even on a nightly.

Although after a week I got bored and flashed nameless ROM which had some very funny bugs at first but was sorted out when I went to a nightly of it.

I didn't know the G2 was getting L. Hmm...at least I know that the eventual (hopefully) Cyanogenmod will be based on a L ROM.

I just want a Nexus on Verizon. :(

ol chap

Jun 28, 2014
Visit site
Yea kinda wish I had known that before getting a custom recovery :D

Here's the download link for CM11 for the version G2 I recommend a snap shot first and if you get any persistent bugs try a recent nightly.

(I flashed a stable nameless rom but crashed any time I tired to install something of Google play but when I flashed a nightly everything worked perfectly)

https://download.cyanogenmod.org/?device=vs980 <CM11 Verizon G2

Gapps> http://wiki.cyanogenmod.org/w/Gapps

You will need root and a custom recovery.

I rooted with towelroot and got TWRP 2.7.0 with flashify.

Once you've got the custom recovery boot into it
(enable advanced reboot settings or power off hold v down and power when you see the LG screen release and do it again, A hard reset screen will pop up press power a few times and you'll boot into recovery [it won't do a hard reset])

Once in TWRP go to back up and make a backup of your current ROM. Then go to wipe (top right one) and press advanced wipe. Wipe everything except the internal.

Then go to install, find the CM11 zip and swipe to install it, once it's done wipe cache and dalvik reboot to system and then go back into recovery wipe cache and dalvik and flash the Gapps Then wipe cache and dalvik and you are done.

Might see different instructions somewhere but this is just what I do and I've only had problems when trying to flash AOKP (secure boot error easily fixed by booting into recovery and restoring back up)

Enjoy CM11 very nexus like with a theme engine, if you want to go back to stock G2 just restore the back up no wipe needed.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kerokekerol