Poor call quality on Verizon G2

Nreeldeep

Sep 9, 2010
Visit site
I posted a few days ago about having no screeching/chirping issues. In the 4 days since then I've routinely asked clients to let me know if they hear any odd noises during our conversations. I'm on the phone throughout my workdays and have yet to experience the issue. Maybe if I got another unit I might discover this screeching. I'm not sure how a few devices have this defect while others don't. Can a specific bug be found in only a select amount of devices? Can it be possibility attributed to a tower?

tomatosouplabs

Sep 15, 2013
Visit site
I posted a few days ago about having no screeching/chirping issues. In the 4 days since then I've routinely asked clients to let me know if they hear any odd noises during our conversations. I'm on the phone throughout my workdays and have yet to experience the issue. Maybe if I got another unit I might discover this screeching. I'm not sure how a few devices have this defect while others don't. Can a specific bug be found in only a select amount of devices? Can it be possibility attributed to a tower?

My microphone is fine. People hear me fine except they say they can tell I am on a cell. They don't understand why I have to keep saying what did you say? all the time because to them the line is good quality. As for towers, I tried in enough locations that it isn't just one tower but verizon is supposed to check this sometime today for the calls I made.

Nreeldeep

Sep 9, 2010
Visit site
My microphone is fine. People hear me fine except they say they can tell I am on a cell. They don't understand why I have to keep saying what did you say? all the time because to them the line is good quality. As for towers, I tried in enough locations that it isn't just one tower but verizon is supposed to check this sometime today for the calls I made.
And you've had this occur on 3 successive G2s? It's obvious that you want to keep the G2. I hope Verizon figures out what the issue is.

tomatosouplabs

Sep 15, 2013
Visit site
And you've had this occur on 3 successive G2s? It's obvious that you want to keep the G2. I hope Verizon figures out what the issue is.

I like the features of the G2 and I love the screen. I don't think I or verizon at this point will swap it again for the same model unless they figure out the problem and know they are giving me a working one. My other option is Moto X but I am very worried I'll get the mic/noise cancellation problem again, since forums are alive and ticking on this subject, and it may not be apparent right away. So I would trade I can't hear people for people who can't hear me. Or go back to my old phone and wait until fixes are in place for either phone.

This problem on this phone happens about 50% of the time, roughly speaking. I can do a back to back call at same location, where first is bad and second is fine and vice versa. It can also be stubborn and locked into a pattern of working or not working after consecutive calls. Maybe some link parameters are negotiated or established wrong at call connection time. Not that I know much at all about what I'm talking about.

ayman86

May 7, 2010
Visit site
i also have this on my tmo g2. just got it today. though my only calls have been on wifi calling. ill test out regular calls tomorrow

crimedog73

Sep 19, 2013
Visit site
Same problem here about the random screeching sound. The other strange thing is when I put the phone to my other ear the screeching sound goes away so don't know what's going on.

I had an iPhone 4S and it did the same thing. Put it to my right ear and it would have the random buzzing/screeching. Put it to the left ear and it would never have the buzzing/screeching.The original Motorola Razor had this problem, as well, but was not nearly as evident. I have had the iPhone 5 now for almost a year and it has never had this problem. I was going to order the G2 to replace it, until I saw this thread. I have bad news for you and anyone owning the G2. It's a hardware issue and every one of them will have the potential to have this issue, just like the iPhone 4S and Razor. There are a lot of things going on in a cell phone and the circuitry is very sophisticated. A lot can go wrong and things get missed or overlooked, sometimes. I couldn't wait to get rid of my 4S, because of this problem. There's no way I will touch the G2, after reading this thread. :'( And, I should have mentioned that I exchanged my iPhone 4S 2 times for this problem and the problem was the same. Also, tried some of my coworkers' and they all did the same at random.

Last edited:

Goingcarcrazy

Sep 13, 2013
Visit site
I was going to order the G2 to replace it, until I saw this thread. I have bad news for you and anyone owning the G2. It's a hardware issue and every one of them will have the potential to have this issue, just like the iPhone 4S and Razor. There are a lot of things going on in a cell phone and the circuitry is very sophisticated. A lot can go wrong and things get missed or overlooked, sometimes. I couldn't wait to get rid of my 4S, because of this problem. There's no way I will touch the G2, after reading this thread. :'( And, I should have mentioned that I exchanged my iPhone 4S 2 times for this problem and the problem was the same. Also, tried some of my coworkers' and they all did the same at random.

Here's my question. How many iPhone 4S's were sold? and how many had the problem? How many Razr's were sold and how many complained of the noise? I haven't researched either of those phones, but I've known 10-15 people with iPhone 4S's and not a single one had the issue. I've known about 2 or 3 with the Razr and nobody heard a thing. Admittedly I have a Razr Maxx HD and I've heard the noise maybe 3 times in the year I've had it, but I also heard it on my OG Droid, Droid X and Gnex; it's just a very seldom occurrence. I think that you're right about every G2 has the possibility of it happening. I think it has to be JUST the right mixture of events (signal strength, connection at tower, heck, maybe even atmosphere) to get this to happen and there will be an unfortunate few that get this. Most of us will be fine.

spdrcrtx

May 17, 2013
Visit site
I had an iPhone 4S and it did the same thing. Put it to my right ear and it would have the random buzzing/screeching. Put it to the left ear and it would never have the buzzing/screeching.The original Motorola Razor had this problem, as well, but was not nearly as evident. I have had the iPhone 5 now for almost a year and it has never had this problem. I was going to order the G2 to replace it, until I saw this thread. I have bad news for you and anyone owning the G2. It's a hardware issue and every one of them will have the potential to have this issue, just like the iPhone 4S and Razor. There are a lot of things going on in a cell phone and the circuitry is very sophisticated. A lot can go wrong and things get missed or overlooked, sometimes. I couldn't wait to get rid of my 4S, because of this problem. There's no way I will touch the G2, after reading this thread. :'( And, I should have mentioned that I exchanged my iPhone 4S 2 times for this problem and the problem was the same. Also, tried some of my coworkers' and they all did the same at random.

Very interesting. It looks like that may be the case here. I'm on my second G2 and the new one has the screeching issue as well.

Ken7

May 25, 2011
Visit site
^ Yup. You could find a million reasons not to buy any particular phone. The real question is how likely is a given issue to occur. I think your logic was well-stated.

landr008

Sep 13, 2013
Visit site
I've continued to have call quality issues digital screeching/chopping/chirping etc. at my house (doesn't seem to happen at near by locations, but i haven't tried a bunch further away) so I ended up calling Verizon tech support. The stated that they don't have any known issues on file so far and wanted me to do a hard reset (I didn't waste my time).

I ended up going to the store and swapping out the unit for another new G2. Still having the same issues. Like another user said it doesn't happen on every call and moving outside the house seems to help. I've also tried turning on and off the Voice enhancement and voice privacy settings under call settings to no avail.

I didn't have this issue on old Galaxy Nexus and I also tested my wife's iphone 5 around the house and it seems to work fine. I really like the phone, ips display, large battery, etc. It will be hard to give up, but i guess I'm going to have to eat the restocking fee. I have till Wednesday and will continue to mess with it.

crimedog73

Sep 19, 2013
Visit site
Here's my question. How many iPhone 4S's were sold? and how many had the problem? How many Razr's were sold and how many complained of the noise? I haven't researched either of those phones, but I've known 10-15 people with iPhone 4S's and not a single one had the issue. I've known about 2 or 3 with the Razr and nobody heard a thing. Admittedly I have a Razr Maxx HD and I've heard the noise maybe 3 times in the year I've had it, but I also heard it on my OG Droid, Droid X and Gnex; it's just a very seldom occurrence. I think that you're right about every G2 has the possibility of it happening. I think it has to be JUST the right mixture of events (signal strength, connection at tower, heck, maybe even atmosphere) to get this to happen and there will be an unfortunate few that get this. Most of us will be fine.

I agree with you 100%. It makes me wonder if it is just area specific and to some extent, if some people just don't hear it, or ignore it. I'm not sure. I know on the 4S that many people, although a small percentage, were having this problem, just because of the forums (Apple forums specifically). I called it the buzzing bee in my ear:). I'm sure that a good percentage of people won't experience the problem and I hope they don't. But, after dealing with it for about a year on my 4S, I won't take the chance if even a small percentage of people are complaining of it. I'm not a fanboy of any brand. If I like a phone or any product, I will get it, regardless of who's name it has on it. As long as I can hack it, I'm good. So, on goes the search for a new phone. I might wait and see what the nexus 5 looks like. I hear it may be based off of the G2. We'll have to wait and see.

Ken7

May 25, 2011
Visit site
So, on goes the search for a new phone. I might wait and see what the nexus 5 looks like. I hear it may be based off of the G2. We'll have to wait and see.

And if it is based on the G2, there's a good chance you'll still have a small % of users complaining about the noise. I suspect your search will then continue again. ;)

tx_tuff

Aug 31, 2011
Visit site
Guess I'm just one of the lucky ones (or not a unlucky one). I make and/or receive phone calls every day (not on calls all day) and I have yet to have any problem whatsoever with any noise or anything else.

Now I'm not saying anybody else is lying about the problem, I believe them. But I do think people need to hear both sides. People tend to post more when there is a problem than they do when there is not one.

philly

Sep 15, 2010
Visit site
I like the features of the G2 and I love the screen. I don't think I or verizon at this point will swap it again for the same model unless they figure out the problem and know they are giving me a working one. My other option is Moto X but I am very worried I'll get the mic/noise cancellation problem again, since forums are alive and ticking on this subject, and it may not be apparent right away. So I would trade I can't hear people for people who can't hear me. Or go back to my old phone and wait until fixes are in place for either phone.

This problem on this phone happens about 50% of the time, roughly speaking. I can do a back to back call at same location, where first is bad and second is fine and vice versa. It can also be stubborn and locked into a pattern of working or not working after consecutive calls. Maybe some link parameters are negotiated or established wrong at call connection time. Not that I know much at all about what I'm talking about.

my unit definetly does the digital screeching. was hoping this patch today would fix it, def not. It seems to go away in areas with good coverage though.

Nreeldeep

Sep 9, 2010
Visit site
Show me a Mobile device and I'll show you a bug thread associated with it as well as a wealth of threads discussing problems with the device. The two G2s in my house have flawless call quality. But I'm glad I'm aware of this screeching problem that some are having. It's obviously an issue that needs to be addressed. Should my G2 experience this screeching in the future and I'm unable to find resolution, there are other brands available.
I hope verizon/LG gets this issue straightened out.