I don't know if its just the Verizon version, but they made those rear buttons so small and nondescript that I can't feel them at all. I can't tell if I'm on the up, down or power buttons. If I run my finger up and down I can tell eventually which of the 3 I'm on, but just putting my finger up to the back of the phone I can't tell which one I'm on. With knockon I don't think I'd hardly ever use them. Perhaps the non bastardized ATT version with its larger buttons is easier to use?
    09-13-2013 10:52 AM
    Right!
    Wait till you try to adjust volume in a car dock!
    09-13-2013 12:25 PM
    I haven't tried them yet but I like that the buttons aren't sticking up like the other versions.

Sent from my A500 using AC Forums mobile app
    09-13-2013 12:29 PM
    Right!
    Wait till you try to adjust volume in a car dock!
    I can imagine!!
    09-13-2013 12:30 PM
    agreed they're pretty useless. the bright side is that i won't accidentally press them during every day use
    09-13-2013 12:49 PM
    Make sure you take the plastic protection sticker off them as well. It's bad but I was using it all day without taking the plastic off (i didn't realize it was there) and it was much worse.
    shadowsjc and Technified like this.
    09-13-2013 12:53 PM
    I guess that's what the notification volume slider is for.

Posted via Android Central App
    09-13-2013 01:05 PM
    Make sure you take the plastic protection sticker off them as well. It's bad but I was using it all day without taking the plastic off (i didn't realize it was there) and it was much worse.
    Ah, thanks for the tip! I had no idea there was a piece of plastic over them. It is better now.
    09-13-2013 01:09 PM
    Yessssssss much better! Thanks!

Posted from my awesome Lg G2
    09-13-2013 01:16 PM
    Buttons are useless, I took off the plastic and my power button came off lol

09-13-2013 02:02 PM
    Funny you say that, I just only took the plastic off about 10 minutes ago (didn't even realize it was on) and am finding it easier to find the buttons. I really think it's also a case of muscle memory and over a short time we'll get used to it. I think in theory it's a great idea.
    09-13-2013 02:56 PM
    Buttons are useless, I took off the plastic and my power button came off lol

You had an unfortunate event, but that doesn't condemn the entire line and button placement.
    KoukiFC3S likes this.
    09-13-2013 02:58 PM
    I don't know if its just the Verizon version, but they made those rear buttons so small and nondescript that I can't feel them at all. I can't tell if I'm on the up, down or power buttons. If I run my finger up and down I can tell eventually which of the 3 I'm on, but just putting my finger up to the back of the phone I can't tell which one I'm on. With knockon I don't think I'd hardly ever use them. Perhaps the non bastardized ATT version with its larger buttons is easier to use?
    Totally agree. Not sure why they made them smaller. If not for Knock-On/Off, I would be so frustrated.
    09-13-2013 03:15 PM
    They're absolutely useful. I use them for the their intended use: to power the phone off and on and to adjust the volume. The same way the buttons are useful in any other phone I've owned.
    It took a moment to get used to the rear layout but now it's becoming second nature. The buttons are small. The ends of the volume buttons protrude slightly helping me locate them and once I've located the volume down button I just slide up to the rounded power button.
    As with everything, everyone's results will vary.
    I successfully adapted.
    random01 likes this.
    09-14-2013 01:26 AM
    Are the buttons metal on the Verizon version?

09-14-2013 01:29 AM
    Are the buttons metal on the Verizon version?

Tapping on them I'm pretty sure they are plastic.
    09-14-2013 01:55 AM
    I wouldn't call then useless but I haven't used them much at all. I use Knock On so much I don't even think about the buttons. I took 60 pictures today and didn't even think about using the volume down to fast start the camera til around pic 40 LOL. But once I thought about it I used it no problem. Otherwise even when I would need volume (watching a video) I just used the on screen controls. Haven't really listened to any music yet.

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk 4
    09-14-2013 04:37 AM
    still getting the hang of them. But due to the placement of them screen shots with this phone has to be the easiest I've ever used. You make a screen shot by pressing the power button and the down volume at the same time. On other devices I would usually end up getting a screenshot of the volume slider. With this phone I can do it with one finger.
    09-14-2013 07:09 AM
    I'm glad I'm not the only one who doesn't mind the VZW version of the buttons. I'm having no problem with them at all. As others have said, I find I'm using Knock On mostly, but I was on a few calls yesterday and had no problem finding the appropriate volume key; I think the "hump" of the power button really helps differentiate vol up from vol down.

One note: I have a simple TPU case on the phone and the space for the rear keys is probably a couple mm wider than they keys all the way around, and I find this works very effectively to guide my finger where it needs to be.

still getting the hang of them. But due to the placement of them screen shots with this phone has to be the easiest I've ever used. You make a screen shot by pressing the power button and the down volume at the same time. On other devices I would usually end up getting a screenshot of the volume slider. With this phone I can do it with one finger.
    I agree: a simple long press with the pad of my index finger works great for taking a screenshot. Very convenient.
    09-14-2013 08:01 AM
    I agree. You just gotta find that sweetspot right where the power button and down button meet.
    09-14-2013 08:04 AM
    Tapping on them I'm pretty sure they are plastic.
    They look metal. They're so small it's hard to tell by feel. I'm guessing plastic based on the rest of the phone's composition.
    09-14-2013 08:07 AM
    I'm glad I'm not the only one who doesn't mind the VZW version of the buttons. I'm having no problem with them at all. As others have said, I find I'm using Knock On mostly, but I was on a few calls yesterday and had no problem finding the appropriate volume key; I think the "hump" of the power button really helps differentiate vol up from vol down.

One note: I have a simple TPU case on the phone and the space for the rear keys is probably a couple mm wider than they keys all the way around, and I find this works very effectively to guide my finger where it needs to be.

I agree: a simple long press with the pad of my index finger works great for taking a screenshot. Very convenient.
    The stock buttons do look like they might be easier to navigate due to the bigger size, but after a full day of practicing on the Verizon buttons, it's now just about 2nd nature. Actually the rear buttons are more dependable than the knock feature, which has proven to be hit and miss at this point.
    09-14-2013 08:14 AM