issues with voice mate....

Tex_Norseman

Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
I set it up to activate when I say "LG Mobile", but it isn't turning on. Do I have to open the app first, or will it open automatically when I say that phrase?

JayWill

Jun 21, 2011
Visit site
From what I understand, the "voice launch" phrase does not actually launch the App. What it does is activate the mic and sets it to "listening mode" in lieu of tapping the microphone icon at the bottom.

When you launch the App, the mic automatically starts. However, after you do a speech phrase like "how's the weather", the mic turns off. To speak another phrase, you can either say "LG Mobile", or tap the icon.

bova80

Sep 2, 2013
Visit site
I had it set to "Hello Genie" and it will only activate if the lock screen is on. At least that's how I had mine set. If your screen is off it isn't going to work.

Sep 14, 2013
Visit site
I got voice launch to work at the lock screen. If you go to settings on voice mate and check "voice launch on Lock screen" then when on the lock screen say the voice launch command (LG Mobile or Hello Genie) it will launch the app. It still is not working at the home screen or when you have any other app up.

EDIT: bova80 beat me to it! Still weird you can't launch it when at the home screen but works out for me because i rather have it accessible via the lock screen.

JayWill

Jun 21, 2011
Visit site
I stand corrected. It does seem odd that you can only voice launch the app from the lockscreen, but I'm sure there is a design decision behind it.

Tex_Norseman

Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
It isn't on all the time, I called LG themselves and confirmed it. I was hoping it was always listening, like" Ok Google Now" on Droid Maxx. Not a deal breaker, but kind of disappointing.

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk 2

TrekkieMonster

Sep 2, 2013
Visit site
I've discovered this same quirk; glad I'm not alone in thinking it a little odd ... I guess.

On a sort of related note, is anyone else having trouble with Voice Mate cutting off dictated text messages prematurely? No matter what I do - or how diligently I try to speak without extended pauses - I can't seem to get it to take more than a dozen words without cutting me off (and well before any character limits.) Very frustrating. :mad:

Also, does anyone know if you can get Voice Mate or Google Now to read received text messages? It's probably the only thing I miss about my cursed iPhone so far; certainly not enough to go back to it, but would be nice if there was a G2 equivalent.

rex365

Jan 5, 2014
Visit site
It's simple. Turn on Skip Lock screen, located in voice mate settings. Only down side is that the screen has to be lit up, plus side is even when someone hit's home is goes back to the lock screen.

jforsha

May 27, 2014
Visit site
Ok, here's one I'm not seeing on this thread... This has been the case with the last two G2's I've had. From a lock screen, I get the message at the top of the screen to say "LG Mobile" to initialize it. When I do so, it opens the Voice Mate app and immediately tells me, "There is a problem with the network connection. Please check the network status and try again", yet when I push the microphone button in the app itself, the app works just fine. It doesn't seem to be properly activating the command function without a physical push of he button. Any input?

Ralph77

Jun 4, 2014
Visit site
Ok, here's one I'm not seeing on this thread... This has been the case with the last two G2's I've had. From a lock screen, I get the message at the top of the screen to say "LG Mobile" to initialize it. When I do so, it opens the Voice Mate app and immediately tells me, "There is a problem with the network connection. Please check the network status and try again", yet when I push the microphone button in the app itself, the app works just fine. It doesn't seem to be properly activating the command function without a physical push of he button. Any input?

I'm having this exact same issue. I googled "There is a problem with the network connection. Please check the network status and try again" and this thread was the only result!

I'm firing off a support email to LG about it right now. Also, I did a factory reset and it did NOT fix the issue. I only noticed this start to happen after I upgraded from Jelly Bean to Kit Kat, what about you?

Ralph77

Jun 4, 2014
Visit site
Same problem here. Very frustrating.

I will say one thing for LG Australia - they always respond to support requests very quickly. The responses are not usually particularly helpful... but you do get one. So, here is the response I just received re my Voice Mate issue - which, as we see from this thread, is affecting at least four G2s worldwide...

"I understand your frustration right now because I know how important your phone is to you. Your phone may be needed to be assessed. Please call our service center which caters to mobile issues of our customers within Australia. The name is Evertec, and the phone number is 1300 789 011. We are looking forward this issue for you to get fixed as soon as possible."

In other words, they have no idea. I will call the service center when I get a chance, but I have no intention of wasting my time taking it to them unless they can tell me they know exactly what's causing it, and that a service call will fix it. I don't want them buggerising around with my phone if they really have no idea what they're looking for - i can do that much myself!

guyladouche

Jan 9, 2012
Visit site
I'm having this problem as well--always says 'network connection problem' when the app first launches. Sometimes if I tap the mic icon to re-enable voice entry, it says network error again, other times it proceeds as if all is normal. It doesn't appear that there is a network problem, because if I re-enable the mic by tapping on it, and speaking a command, the app continues to function. It appears that the problem happens only when the app is activated by the voice hot command...

I uninstalled the most recent update, this still happens.

Anyone else also notice that when your phone lock screen enables when voice mate was the most recently active app, that knock-on doesn't work unless you manually unlock the phone and exit the app.

Ron McDonald Junior

Jun 7, 2014
Visit site
Did you ever get a fix/reply from LG? I've got the same problem with Voice Mate from the lock screen, reads "There was a problem with the network connection. Please check the network status and try again" and the voice says"......please check for mobile network or WIFI connection and try again. I'm like the others and works fine after manually pushing the voice button or launching from apps, which doesn't help me with being hands free in the car. Tried changing all the settings/voice I could find with the same error.

On LG G2 with Android 4.4.2

I'm having this exact same issue. I googled "There is a problem with the network connection. Please check the network status and try again" and this thread was the only result!

I'm firing off a support email to LG about it right now. Also, I did a factory reset and it did NOT fix the issue. I only noticed this start to happen after I upgraded from Jelly Bean to Kit Kat, what about you?

Ralph77

Jun 4, 2014
Visit site
Did you ever get a fix/reply from LG? I've got the same problem with Voice Mate from the lock screen, reads "There was a problem with the network connection. Please check the network status and try again" and the voice says"......please check for mobile network or WIFI connection and try again. I'm like the others and works fine after manually pushing the voice button or launching from apps, which doesn't help me with being hands free in the car. Tried changing all the settings/voice I could find with the same error.

I only got the emailed reply above which advised me to contact their service centre. I haven't had the chance to give them a call yet - but it seems like a futile thing to do anyway, since they'll only ask me to bring the phone in to them, which I know will be a complete waste of my time, since it's obviously not a hardware fault.

I have tried factory-resetting the phone; disabling the 'LG On-Screen Phone' Accessibility service (since this was the cause for my "OK Google" hotword detection not working); disabling all other Accessibility services; clearing the app's cache... nothing helped.

It's also not Nova Launcher. But of course i haven't tried installing ALL my apps to see if there's one which may be causing an incompatibility. That seems like way too much bother. Anyway, when I get the chance to call the service centre, I'll reply back here with what they advised to do, if anything.

Ralph77

Jun 4, 2014
Visit site
OK so I finally got a moment to call the LG Service Centre and described the issue. The guy there said it sounds like something went wrong with my Kit Kat upgrade, and I should back up the phone, bring it in, and they will re-install Kit Kat from scratch. He said this would be more reliable than the OTA upgrade I'd originally done.

I'm sceptical though, because so many people with G2s are reporting all sorts of issues following their Kit Kat upgrades like battery drain, connection issues, not to mention the well-documented audio issue... and I don't have any of those issues, just this minor Voice Mate issue. What if I get the phone back and Voice Mate is fixed, but I end up with a whole swag of worse problems! I think I'm going to leave it alone.

guyladouche

Jan 9, 2012
Visit site
OK so I finally got a moment to call the LG Service Centre and described the issue. The guy there said it sounds like something went wrong with my Kit Kat upgrade, and I should back up the phone, bring it in, and they will re-install Kit Kat from scratch. He said this would be more reliable than the OTA upgrade I'd originally done.

I'm sceptical though, because so many people with G2s are reporting all sorts of issues following their Kit Kat upgrades like battery drain, connection issues, not to mention the well-documented audio issue... and I don't have any of those issues, just this minor Voice Mate issue. What if I get the phone back and Voice Mate is fixed, but I end up with a whole swag of worse problems! I think I'm going to leave it alone.

Of course they said that. Nevermind the numerous people who are having this issue...I'm thankful the only apparent problem I'm having is with voicemate. I'll just turn it off.

Thanks for posting back your answer!

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
steve1084