12-08-2014 02:07 AM
57 123
tools
    I just measured...it's 75% of a 1/2 inch. So I was pretty close.

I also measured the bottom bezels of the Note 2 (w/ capacitive buttons) and the G2...same EXACT length. So yes, there WAS room.

Stuck there forever? If they're off, what does it matter where they are stuck to? You don't see them if the lights not on. This makes no sense.
    09-15-2013 12:25 PM
    But why is it that most reviewers seem to hate the capacitive buttons? As I said, I'm ambivalent about it.
    09-15-2013 12:29 PM
    I have no idea. There is ZERO advantage to an onscreen button overlay IMO. Customization isn't necessary. Menu, home, back...or hell, back, home menu, I don't care. Just pick a standard and stick w/ it. The One has a logo that does nothing and no menu button IIRC. And the Note series has a push button home button. Another stupid decision IMO. At least it gives you the option to shut the lights off. Then it's as if NOTHING is distracting you AND you get ALL your screen...in games, in the web, in videos, in apps. The onscreen buttons are such a tremendous eye sore...
    09-15-2013 12:35 PM
    LOL... What kind of measurement is 75% of a 1/2" ??? That's too funny.
    jayochs likes this.
    09-15-2013 12:36 PM
    It's the kind of measurement you get from a guy who can't read a clock, now leave me alone!

I THINK...3/8"...but I'm not 100% sure, don't quote me on that.
    09-15-2013 12:41 PM
    Here I'll whisper it to you... 3/8"
    09-15-2013 12:54 PM
    Awww see you already had it
    09-15-2013 12:54 PM
    Yup, I had to count all the little marks in the ruler and then use a calculat...

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk 2
    Kris Nelson likes this.
    09-15-2013 01:16 PM
    I have no idea. There is ZERO advantage to an onscreen button overlay IMO. Customization isn't necessary. Menu, home, back...or hell, back, home menu, I don't care. Just pick a standard and stick w/ it. The One has a logo that does nothing and no menu button IIRC. And the Note series has a push button home button. Another stupid decision IMO. At least it gives you the option to shut the lights off. Then it's as if NOTHING is distracting you AND you get ALL your screen...in games, in the web, in videos, in apps. The onscreen buttons are such a tremendous eye sore...
    Reread my post. There are lots of advantages.
    09-15-2013 01:27 PM
    Lots?

You mentioned customize and hide. Neither of which I consider an advantage over a traditional 3 button capacitive layout that's always there, yet w/ the lights off, never gets in your way. Samsung makes this possible wo/ rooting or roming. The LG G2 has the same bezel space and could have easily done away w/ onscreen buttons. There's nothing to defend. Onscreen is clearly the crappier option.
    09-15-2013 01:46 PM
    Lots?

You mentioned customize and hide. Neither of which I consider an advantage over a traditional 3 button capacitive layout that's always there, yet w/ the lights off, never gets in your way. Samsung makes this possible wo/ rooting or roming. The LG G2 has the same bezel space and could have easily done away w/ onscreen buttons. There's nothing to defend. Onscreen is clearly the crappier option.
    Your opinion only. I hate capacitive and love onscreen buttons. See there's my opinion, and also googles opinion. Carry on.

Posted via Android Central App
    09-15-2013 02:10 PM
    And yet you give no reason why. Your posting simply exists to refute mine...w/ the sarcastic..."carry on."
    09-15-2013 02:22 PM
    Its simple its. Google deal, just like no SD cards or nonremovable batteries deal with it.
    Lots?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Xparent Cyan Tapatalk 2
    09-15-2013 02:40 PM
    I'm trying...its hard. I lost all three of those things with the G2.

edit: That said, I'm not just going to go quietly into the night and "deal w/ it." That's terrible advice.
    09-15-2013 02:53 PM
    Return the phone? Seems you bought something you didn't want, choosing against your strong wishes...
    moosc likes this.
    09-15-2013 03:45 PM
    Lots?

People have different opinions. Your opinion is not fact.

Here's why I prefer on-screen buttons:
    -They don't add bezel
    -They can be hid away with a PIE-style interface
    -They can be changed or customized
    -You can access Google Now easily
    -They auto-rotate
    -You're not left with a menu bar on the screen if the capacitive buttons don't include a menu button
    -They are more holoyolo.

Also, could you quote the posts you're responding to, so I can tell whether or not you're actually responding to me?
    09-15-2013 03:54 PM
    How can you people have an argument about something that is completely and totally based on preference and preference only? On screen buttons use screen real estate. If you don't like it buy a Galaxy series phone or new Maxx/Ultra
    09-15-2013 09:02 PM
    The problem with the new motos is thar they're dual core 720p phones. I'm not a fan of the on-screen buttons, but its one of only 3 "flaws" with this phone. The usability, speed, and display go a long way towards making this the better phone IMO.

Right now, the G2s the fastest phone out there. Combined with an ultra sharp 1080P IPS vs the smaller pentile G4, its the better option IMO.

09-16-2013 05:47 AM
    The problem with the new motos is thar they're dual core 720p phones. I'm not a fan of the on-screen buttons, but its one of only 3 "flaws" with this phone. The usability, speed, and display go a long way towards making this the better phone IMO.

Right now, the G2s the fastest phone out there. Combined with an ultra sharp 1080P IPS vs the smaller pentile G4, its the better option IMO.

Specs don't determine performance.

Sent from my pure Google Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums
    09-16-2013 09:30 PM
    That's absurd. For example, the G2 scores over 3x what the Note 2 does in Quadrant. In real life, the G2 runs CIRCLES around the Note 2...I've been playing with both since Thursday. They couldn't be more different. The Motos have less CPU power than the G2...and their quadrant score is almost 1/2.

I'm a power user to the fullest extent and if specs didn't determine performance I would still be using the one core OG DROID and we wouldn't see faster and faster chipsets EVERY YEAR!

---LG G2 via Tapatalk 2---
    09-16-2013 10:38 PM
    That's absurd. For example, the G2 scores over 3x what the Note 2 does in Quadrant. In real life, the G2 runs CIRCLES around the Note 2...I've been playing with both since Thursday. They couldn't be more different. The Motos have less CPU power than the G2...and their quadrant score is almost 1/2.

I'm a power user to the fullest extent and if specs didn't determine performance I would still be using the one core OG DROID and we wouldn't see faster and faster chipsets EVERY YEAR!

---LG G2 via Tapatalk 2---
    Oy. There's so much here to unpack and refute that it may not even be worth the effort.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2
    09-16-2013 11:13 PM
    Nothing I stated was untrue. Mhz doesn't equal everything and neither does core count, but saying that specs don't determine performance is a bit much.

The G2 outscores the others in just about every benchmark. The snapdragon 800 is currently the fastest chipset for Android...the best specced. And EVERY review talks about its performance as if its #1. The Anandtech "mini" review proves exactly what I'm saying.

Maybe if you had a better specced phone you'd be able to type more than 2 lines...kidding. But maybe now you'll refute me, haha!
    kkel19 likes this.
    09-17-2013 12:38 AM
    lets be honest here guys....G2 is snappy as hell compared to a majority of android phones out there. Dont believe it, try it at the store. case closed.
    09-17-2013 12:58 AM
    Nothing I stated was untrue. Mhz doesn't equal everything and neither does core count, but saying that specs don't determine performance is a bit much.

The G2 outscores the others in just about every benchmark. The snapdragon 800 is currently the fastest chipset for Android...the best specced. And EVERY review talks about its performance as if its #1. The Anandtech "mini" review proves exactly what I'm saying.

Maybe if you had a better specced phone you'd be able to type more than 2 lines...kidding. But maybe now you'll refute me, haha!
    The anandtech review proves no such thing. The guy that wrote it has gone to great lengths to say that, yes, the g2 is powerful, but a phone like the moto x provides just as smooth of an experience with significantly less horsepower.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2
    09-17-2013 03:40 AM
    I wonder how CM and MIUI roms will be ported as this G2 is the first device to use on screen virtual buttons...
    09-17-2013 04:27 AM
57 123