LOVING this phone--but is there a way to autohide those buttons?!

Jodiuh

Apr 6, 2010
Visit site
How can it be cleaner that no keys @ all? They pop up in every game too, LOL.

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk 2

Ken7

May 25, 2011
Visit site
It seems every time I read a phone review and this issue is discussed, it seems the concensus is they don't like capacitive buttons. I don't feel strongly about it one way or the other.

Jodiuh

Apr 6, 2010
Visit site
Some of the games minimize the onscreen buttons to little dots. Though the whole bar still takes up 1/2 an inch or more of screen space that's completely unnecessary. There was PLENTY OF BEZEL for them to have put proper capacitive buttons. Then simply provide the option to have those buttons display on for 15/30/1min/2min/5min/10min, or OFF, or always on. 3 buttons, all capacitive (none of this silly push button business like the Note has), menu, home, return. That simple. :(

return_0

Sep 16, 2012
Visit site
Some of the games minimize the onscreen buttons to little dots. Though the whole bar still takes up 1/2 an inch or more of screen space that's completely unnecessary. There was PLENTY OF BEZEL for them to have put proper capacitive buttons. Then simply provide the option to have those buttons display on for 15/30/1min/2min/5min/10min, or OFF, or always on. 3 buttons, all capacitive (none of this silly push button business like the Note has), menu, home, return. That simple. :(

Seriously, There's a problem with your phone if the on-screen buttons take up half an inch or more of screen space.

And no, there wasn't any bezel room for capacitive buttons. If you look at pictures of the G2 and GS4, you'll see that the G2 has less bezel.

The biggest advantage of on-screen buttons is that you can customize them to your liking or even keep them hid with a ROM like ParanoidAndroid. With capacitive buttons, they're stuck there forever.

Jodiuh

Apr 6, 2010
Visit site
I just measured...it's 75% of a 1/2 inch. So I was pretty close.

I also measured the bottom bezels of the Note 2 (w/ capacitive buttons) and the G2...same EXACT length. So yes, there WAS room.

Stuck there forever? If they're off, what does it matter where they are stuck to? You don't see them if the lights not on. This makes no sense.

Ken7

May 25, 2011
Visit site
But why is it that most reviewers seem to hate the capacitive buttons? As I said, I'm ambivalent about it.

Jodiuh

Apr 6, 2010
Visit site
I have no idea. There is ZERO advantage to an onscreen button overlay IMO. Customization isn't necessary. Menu, home, back...or hell, back, home menu, I don't care. Just pick a standard and stick w/ it. The One has a logo that does nothing and no menu button IIRC. And the Note series has a push button home button. Another stupid decision IMO. At least it gives you the option to shut the lights off. Then it's as if NOTHING is distracting you AND you get ALL your screen...in games, in the web, in videos, in apps. The onscreen buttons are such a tremendous eye sore...

Jodiuh

Apr 6, 2010
Visit site
It's the kind of measurement you get from a guy who can't read a clock, now leave me alone! ;)

I THINK...3/8"...but I'm not 100% sure, don't quote me on that.

Jodiuh

Apr 6, 2010
Visit site
Yup, I had to count all the little marks in the ruler and then use a calculat...

;)

return_0

Sep 16, 2012
Visit site
I have no idea. There is ZERO advantage to an onscreen button overlay IMO. Customization isn't necessary. Menu, home, back...or hell, back, home menu, I don't care. Just pick a standard and stick w/ it. The One has a logo that does nothing and no menu button IIRC. And the Note series has a push button home button. Another stupid decision IMO. At least it gives you the option to shut the lights off. Then it's as if NOTHING is distracting you AND you get ALL your screen...in games, in the web, in videos, in apps. The onscreen buttons are such a tremendous eye sore...

Reread my post. There are lots of advantages.

Jodiuh

Apr 6, 2010
Visit site
Lots?

You mentioned customize and hide. Neither of which I consider an advantage over a traditional 3 button capacitive layout that's always there, yet w/ the lights off, never gets in your way. Samsung makes this possible wo/ rooting or roming. The LG G2 has the same bezel space and could have easily done away w/ onscreen buttons. There's nothing to defend. Onscreen is clearly the crappier option.

CellGuy

Jul 30, 2011
Visit site
Lots?

You mentioned customize and hide. Neither of which I consider an advantage over a traditional 3 button capacitive layout that's always there, yet w/ the lights off, never gets in your way. Samsung makes this possible wo/ rooting or roming. The LG G2 has the same bezel space and could have easily done away w/ onscreen buttons. There's nothing to defend. Onscreen is clearly the crappier option.

Your opinion only. I hate capacitive and love onscreen buttons. See there's my opinion, and also googles opinion. Carry on.

Posted via Android Central App

moosc

Grand Master Moosc
Oct 20, 2009
Visit site
Its simple its. Google deal, just like no SD cards or nonremovable batteries deal with it.
Lots?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Xparent Cyan Tapatalk 2

Jodiuh

Apr 6, 2010
Visit site
I'm trying...its hard. I lost all three of those things with the G2. :(

edit: That said, I'm not just going to go quietly into the night and "deal w/ it." That's terrible advice.