LOVING this phone--but is there a way to autohide those buttons?!

return_0

Sep 16, 2012
Visit site
Lots?

You mentioned customize and hide. Neither of which I consider an advantage over a traditional 3 button capacitive layout that's always there, yet w/ the lights off, never gets in your way. Samsung makes this possible wo/ rooting or roming. The LG G2 has the same bezel space and could have easily done away w/ onscreen buttons. There's nothing to defend. Onscreen is clearly the crappier option.

People have different opinions. Your opinion is not fact.

Here's why I prefer on-screen buttons:
-They don't add bezel
-They can be hid away with a PIE-style interface
-They can be changed or customized
-You can access Google Now easily
-They auto-rotate
-You're not left with a menu bar on the screen if the capacitive buttons don't include a menu button
-They are more holoyolo.

Also, could you quote the posts you're responding to, so I can tell whether or not you're actually responding to me?

wrich2005

Mar 5, 2011
Visit site
How can you people have an argument about something that is completely and totally based on preference and preference only? On screen buttons use screen real estate. If you don't like it buy a Galaxy series phone or new Maxx/Ultra

Jodiuh

Apr 6, 2010
Visit site
The problem with the new motos is thar they're dual core 720p phones. I'm not a fan of the on-screen buttons, but its one of only 3 "flaws" with this phone. The usability, speed, and display go a long way towards making this the better phone IMO.

Right now, the G2s the fastest phone out there. Combined with an ultra sharp 1080P IPS vs the smaller pentile G4, its the better option IMO.

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk 2

return_0

Sep 16, 2012
Visit site
The problem with the new motos is thar they're dual core 720p phones. I'm not a fan of the on-screen buttons, but its one of only 3 "flaws" with this phone. The usability, speed, and display go a long way towards making this the better phone IMO.

Right now, the G2s the fastest phone out there. Combined with an ultra sharp 1080P IPS vs the smaller pentile G4, its the better option IMO.

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk 2

Specs don't determine performance.

Sent from my pure Google Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums

Jodiuh

Apr 6, 2010
Visit site
That's absurd. For example, the G2 scores over 3x what the Note 2 does in Quadrant. In real life, the G2 runs CIRCLES around the Note 2...I've been playing with both since Thursday. They couldn't be more different. The Motos have less CPU power than the G2...and their quadrant score is almost 1/2.

I'm a power user to the fullest extent and if specs didn't determine performance I would still be using the one core OG DROID and we wouldn't see faster and faster chipsets EVERY YEAR!

---LG G2 via Tapatalk 2---

JHBThree

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
That's absurd. For example, the G2 scores over 3x what the Note 2 does in Quadrant. In real life, the G2 runs CIRCLES around the Note 2...I've been playing with both since Thursday. They couldn't be more different. The Motos have less CPU power than the G2...and their quadrant score is almost 1/2.

I'm a power user to the fullest extent and if specs didn't determine performance I would still be using the one core OG DROID and we wouldn't see faster and faster chipsets EVERY YEAR!

Oy. There's so much here to unpack and refute that it may not even be worth the effort.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

Jodiuh

Apr 6, 2010
Visit site
Nothing I stated was untrue. Mhz doesn't equal everything and neither does core count, but saying that specs don't determine performance is a bit much.

The G2 outscores the others in just about every benchmark. The snapdragon 800 is currently the fastest chipset for Android...the best specced. And EVERY review talks about its performance as if its #1. The Anandtech "mini" review proves exactly what I'm saying.

Maybe if you had a better specced phone you'd be able to type more than 2 lines...kidding. But maybe now you'll refute me, haha!

kkel19

Aug 13, 2010
Visit site
lets be honest here guys....G2 is snappy as hell compared to a majority of android phones out there. Dont believe it, try it at the store. case closed.

JHBThree

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
Nothing I stated was untrue. Mhz doesn't equal everything and neither does core count, but saying that specs don't determine performance is a bit much.

The G2 outscores the others in just about every benchmark. The snapdragon 800 is currently the fastest chipset for Android...the best specced. And EVERY review talks about its performance as if its #1. The Anandtech "mini" review proves exactly what I'm saying.

Maybe if you had a better specced phone you'd be able to type more than 2 lines...kidding. But maybe now you'll refute me, haha!

The anandtech review proves no such thing. The guy that wrote it has gone to great lengths to say that, yes, the g2 is powerful, but a phone like the moto x provides just as smooth of an experience with significantly less horsepower.

return_0

Sep 16, 2012
Visit site

Tell me, which is smoother, the GNex with the 1.2 GHz OMAP dual-core processor and 1GB of RAM, or the 1.9 GHz, quad-core, 2GB RAM Galaxy S4?

Yup. The lower-specced one.

Jodiuh

Apr 6, 2010
Visit site
The anandtech review proves no such thing. The guy that wrote it has gone to great lengths to say that, yes, the g2 is powerful, but a phone like the moto x provides just as smooth of an experience with significantly less horsepower.

Please link me where they compare the Moto X to the G2 directly and say, "moto x provides just as smooth of an experience." And once you've installed a bunch of apps and are multitasking like crazy, no way the dual core X will outperform the quad core G2.

Tell me, which is smoother, the GNex with the 1.2 GHz OMAP dual-core processor and 1GB of RAM, or the 1.9 GHz, quad-core, 2GB RAM Galaxy S4?

Yup. The lower-specced one.

Well, I had the Gnex and the S3 and the S3 was snappier.

somnambulator

Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
I don't wanna root my phone, is there any other way to hide soft keys?

not to my knowledge. The keys are hidden by each individual app. a video app or 3d game can be coded in such a way. MX Player (native android video player) has great support in this way. iOS game ports, like clash of clans, do not. the buttons just sit there doing nothing (but hey, at least they were rotated landscape!)

I don't want to rehash the previous 2+ pages of soft v capacitve, but the issue would be much less pronounced if app developers coded to android guidelines properly. I had a GNex for 2 years and am intimately familiar with soft touch buttons. They didnt bother me at all on that device and didn't sway my opinion on the G2. However, it's been over 2 years and many iOS game ports still aren't coded properly (and never will be)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akbarramadhani12