Anybody switch from Moto X ---> LG G2 ?? Do you miss active notifications and touchless control??

drew4392

Sep 19, 2011
Visit site
Anybody switch from Moto X ---> LG G2 ?? Do you miss active notifications and touchless control??

Just made the switch. Love the G2. Amazing display, screen size, and battery life.

Two things I miss, though, are the active notifications and touchless control (didn't use often, but very helpful when hands weren't free).

Anybody with similar thoughts??

Wondering if the apps that emulate these features would mess with the G2's "knock on, knock off" feature.... or just perform worse than Moto X.

Gdwheel

Nov 22, 2009
Visit site
Re: Anybody switch from Moto X ---> LG G2 ?? Do you miss active notifications and touchless control

I tried the Moto X and I did enjoy the active notifications. It was also smooth. Everything else was not very good. I am very happy with the G2. It blows the Moto X away.

CellGuy

Jul 30, 2011
Visit site
Re: Anybody switch from Moto X ---> LG G2 ?? Do you miss active notifications and touchless control

Pretty happy with the switch. The X was a great little phone. Nothing rally bad to say about it. But I do really like the G2!

Posted via Android Central App

mikemeek

Jul 31, 2012
Visit site

Happy with my switch of phones.Awesome phone and battery has been awesome so far. One issue with G2 though is prompting voice dial with Bluetooth headset. Will only activate with a different style of voice dial which is worthless. 3rd party apps.will not even prompt with button. Under all apps when I disable voice dial nothing works. Help!

wnflyer

Dec 3, 2009
Visit site
For those that switched, I'm wondering why? I purchased the G2 over the MotoX and it was a tough decision. I like stock Android but I also wanted to give this G2 a try. I'm enjoying the G2 and still debating a switch to the MotoX.

tomatosouplabs

Sep 15, 2013
Visit site

I switched also. I had to because of Moto X microphone problem. So far I love the phone although it's slightly bigger to hold than ideal for me. My only other gripe that I'm not sure about, if it's a hardware problem or not, is the speakerphone doesn't make me sound very good on other end.

I came from a fascinate which had no LED so I used NoLED which put dots or icons on the screen. It was AMOLED so not much power loss. I wouldn't attempt to run something like that on this screen due to battery drain. I do miss NoLED. I'm trying to make best use of the LED on this phone and finding some apps that will periodically vibrate.

As for touchless I don't care too much. I feel awkward talking to my phone, maybe that's just me.

robstunner

Android Connoisseur
Jun 3, 2010
Visit site

I love my moto x. It's my own color scheme and 32gb. However the battery for whatever reason stinks on this phone for me. I picked up a G2 a few days ago and the thing is a beast. Screen battery and camera all easily trump the moto x. However, I do like the size of the moto, 5.2" even with such a small bezel feels massive.

Sent from my XT1058 using Tapatalk 4

DoyouFanBoyBro

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site

I switched.. it was a VERY difficult process btw, the AT&T store never did a moto x return apparently and non of them knew what to do.
The moto X is garbage compared to the G2

aggie

Apr 28, 2010
Visit site

I love my moto x. It's my own color scheme and 32gb. However the battery for whatever reason stinks on this phone for me. I picked up a G2 a few days ago and the thing is a beast. Screen battery and camera all easily trump the moto x. However, I do like the size of the moto, 5.2" even with such a small bezel feels massive.

So if you weighed all the pros and cons of each and had to choose just one to keep which would it be? Considering picking up a G2 today.

Ken7

May 25, 2011
Visit site

Looks like he made his decision, G2.,,, :)

gravage

Mar 10, 2010
Visit site

Keep in mind that eventually, with an update, the G2 COULD have touchless control. The Snapdragon 800 has the ability built in, it's just up to LG to update their software to allow it to work. The app is already on the Play Store. I have a feeling we won't see this for a while. Google will probably want it to be a Moto X exclusive feature for a while. However, if they introduce the feature with the next version of Android, we could see it sooner.

Again, we're dependent on LG mostly. Our hardware is already capable. I love the idea of Touchless control, but I wouldn't sacrifice the awesome screen and camera of the G2 to get it.

drew4392

Sep 19, 2011
Visit site

Thanks for the input. Moto was very smooth and the active notifs were nice. But, the G2 is definitely a better, overall phone. For sure.

Happy with my switch.

mm356

Sep 16, 2013
Visit site

Keep in mind that eventually, with an update, the G2 COULD have touchless control. The Snapdragon 800 has the ability built in, it's just up to LG to update their software to allow it to work. The app is already on the Play Store. I have a feeling we won't see this for a while. Google will probably want it to be a Moto X exclusive feature for a while. However, if they introduce the feature with the next version of Android, we could see it sooner.

Again, we're dependent on LG mostly. Our hardware is already capable. I love the idea of Touchless control, but I wouldn't sacrifice the awesome screen and camera of the G2 to get it.

I just bought a Moto X and am still within my window to exchange and I considered this (and still am). But with software updates being notoriously slow and this being what I would think would be a pretty complicated feature to implement (maybe I'm wrong - I do understand that the processor supports it though), how likely would you think it would be that LG would eventually roll this out, and what kind of timeframe would be realistic? Also, any active displays on the G2's LCD screen would kill the battery, would it not?

I'm in my car a lot, so the touchless stuff is what sold me on the Moto X over the specs of the G2. But if the G2 could do the same thing within a realistic time frame (6 month ideally) then it's a no-brainer. The question just becomes one of tradeoffs and realistic possibilities of doing so.

I too am interested in hearing why people chose to exchange the X after trying it out. Did it not perform up to par or did you just miss the beefy specs?

gravage

Mar 10, 2010
Visit site

I just bought a Moto X and am still within my window to exchange and I considered this (and still am). But with software updates being notoriously slow and this being what I would think would be a pretty complicated feature to implement (maybe I'm wrong - I do understand that the processor supports it though), how likely would you think it would be that LG would eventually roll this out, and what kind of timeframe would be realistic? Also, any active displays on the G2's LCD screen would kill the battery, would it not?

I'm in my car a lot, so the touchless stuff is what sold me on the Moto X over the specs of the G2. But if the G2 could do the same thing within a realistic time frame (6 month ideally) then it's a no-brainer. The question just becomes one of tradeoffs and realistic possibilities of doing so.

I too am interested in hearing why people chose to exchange the X after trying it out. Did it not perform up to par or did you just miss the beefy specs?

No, active display isn't doable, but touchless control is. As to when: that's up to Google and LG. Anandtech has a great article about the Snapdragon 800 and talks about its capabilities for that feature, but it's anyone's guess when we'll see it on other phones. I tend to think that Google/Motorola would want it to be exclusive for a while, since it's one of the Moto X's main selling points.

And LG is very slow with updates, but I think they know that needs to change if they want to compete, so we'll see.

Otherwise, this phone rocks.

Sent from my LG-D800 using Tapatalk 4

dad2paisley

Nov 6, 2010
Visit site

Not an LG fan. So, I wouldn't even look at one. Why put the buttons on the back of the phone. Dumb. Moto X is simple, easy to use and that's what people want. Not a bunch of gimmicks.

MrSlippery519

Oct 11, 2011
Visit site

Not an LG fan. So, I wouldn't even look at one. Why put the buttons on the back of the phone. Dumb. Moto X is simple, easy to use and that's what people want. Not a bunch of gimmicks.

Depends what you consider a gimmick, having played with the phone I do not find the buttons that out of place to be honest. Certainly takes some getting used to but is the case with anything different than the norm. Add to that the knock on/off can render the buttons almost useless in many cases.

Ken7

May 25, 2011
Visit site

But here you are in an LG thread. I'll never understand some people. Just come by to knock the product that most people own here.

aggie

Apr 28, 2010
Visit site

But here you are in an LG thread. I'll never understand some people. Just come by to knock the product that most people own here.

Agreed. To be honest I've never been a fan of anything LG-not even for a fridge to stick in my garage for the sole purpose of keeping my beer cold. I was appalled when I learned they would be making the Nexus 4 but that was one of my favorite Android devices to date. If it had LTE and a bit larger battery it might even still be my main device. I still have my Moto X but I picked up the G2 this weekend and have been thrilled with it. The only complaint I have is that horrible logo on the front. Next to the Verizon logo that just might be the most hideous logo in tech. Minor nitpick, I know. This is a solid device that if LG had better public perception/recognition should easily outsell the S4 and Note 3 however, for that reason it won't.

CellGuy

Jul 30, 2011
Visit site

Agreed. To be honest I've never been a fan of anything LG-not even for a fridge to stick in my garage for the sole purpose of keeping my beer cold. I was appalled when I learned they would be making the Nexus 4 but that was one of my favorite Android devices to date. If it had LTE and a bit larger battery it might even still be my main device. I still have my Moto X but I picked up the G2 this weekend and have been thrilled with it. The only complaint I have is that horrible logo on the front. Next to the Verizon logo that just might be the most hideous logo in tech. Minor nitpick, I know. This is a solid device that if LG had better public perception/recognition should easily outsell the S4 and Note 3 however, for that reason it won't.

So buy the carrier unlocked version then . Problem solved , no logo. To say the most hideous in tech is pretty funny. Can't say I've payed a bit of attention to a little logo on the phone.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kerokekerol