Stuttering?

JoePa2624

Sep 15, 2013
Visit site
Hi guys. First time poster on this forum as I've been lurking for a few months trying to take in as much as I can. I'm coming from an Iphone 4s and picked up my G2 2 days ago. I haven't been with Android since the original Motorola Droid but I've been intrigued lately and have become bored with iOS. I've noticed online, every reviewer praises the G2 for how lag free the phone is and how fast it operates. I haven't noticed that. My phone stutters from screen to screen and generally has a very lag-filled experience. I don't feel I load the phone up with an excessive amount of apps on the homescreen and only run a clock widget but I still notice really bad lag at times. Am I just being too critical coming from a buttery smooth iOS or is there something I should be looking for?

stew930

Jul 22, 2011
Visit site
Mine has been snappy since I picked it up. When you notice it lagging take a look at Task Manager and Application Manager to see what's running and much RAM is available.

Posted via Android Central App

Hilman76

May 27, 2011
Visit site
Something is definitely off, it should be buttery smooth. I assume you have rebooted it? Maybe try a soft reset.

Posted via Android Central App using my Nexus 4 (soon to be G2!)

Dreamliner330

Sep 3, 2011
Visit site
This is actually a pretty big concern of mine. I switched a few months ago to an iPhone 5 (first iPhone I've ever tried) and what struck me the most was how fluid the experience was...no stutters, no lag, no scrolling jitters...just liquid smooth. Now, every time I try a Android device, the stutters are really abrupt and obvious.

I found this article that explains in more detail, it explains that Android will never be as smooth as iOS because Android is built of JAVA which means it runs within a VIRTUAL MACHINE on the device, whereas iOS directly access' the phone hardware, which is why a 1.2 ghz iPhone with 1GB of RAM is smoother than a Android with nearly double the spec.

I really want to switch back to Android (No simultaneous Voice/Data is frustrating), but the stutters are far too distracting. To this day, I have yet to see a Android phone without web browser scroll stutters; and interestingly enough, Google Apps like YouTube work BETTER on iOS.

Final note, a lot of people that "don't have stutters" in reality "don't notice stutters", mostly because they are upgrading from a slower device or simply arn't bothered by it. Just like how people can claim PenTile screens look beautiful and clear. It's not a dig or cut on people that say their phone is silky smooth, they just don't see it. TONS of people said the S4 was super smooth when it was WORSE than the S3, TONS of people said the S3 had an amazing screen when in reality, it was grainy. TONS of people, just like on the S3, say the S4 is amazing, when in reality...its grainy. (I loathe PenTile)

Personally, my user experience has been unparralleled on my Jailbroken iPhone, but I was hoping the G2 with its big 1080 LCD could pull me back. Looks like I may be waiting a bit longer. :(

Ken7

May 25, 2011
Visit site
Actually the IPhone is not stutter free either. I've seen some Web pages stutter on my wife's IPhone 5.

I also find Android devices also are more compatible with many video intensive sites.

With that said, I see virtually no difference between smoothness scrolling pages on either my G2 or her IPhone.

IMO, IOS is hideously boring and behind the times.

Dreamliner330

Sep 3, 2011
Visit site
Actually the IPhone is not stutter free either. I've seen some Web pages stutter on my wife's IPhone 5.
Camping the iPhone screen looking for the elusive stutter, eh :p
With that said, I see virtually no difference between smoothness scrolling pages on either my G2 or her IPhone.
Good to hear, hopefully its a simple issue on the OPs device.
IMO, IOS is hideously boring and behind the times.
FWIW the major only difference is homescreen widgets...which end up getting disabled to improve battery life/speed up device. Jailbroken iPhone has what I want in widgets on the lockscreen. Benefits of choice.

Ken7

May 25, 2011
Visit site
I enjoy the widgets, enjoy the customization and really couldn't ask for a faster phone with the widgets active on the G2.

With that said, the world has moved past 4'' screens and I, personally, couldn't deal with such a small screen at this point. Another example of Apple being behind the times IMO. They'll move to larger screens with the IPhone 6, but geesh, that should have happened generations ago.

Haalcyon

Banned
Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
The question is are the majority of iPhone users all over the world wishing for a larger display? I don't know the answer to that...how could I?

The Order Odonata. There can be only one.

Ken7

May 25, 2011
Visit site
Ask them. Report back in 10 minutes. ;-)

Actually every survey I've read said that's the most requested feature of IPhone users.

Haalcyon

Banned
Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
I just asked and the most intelligent iPhone users that I surveyed in 29 countries all said they want at least a 5" screen, removable battery, and an SD card slot...and an SAMOLED display. That's a tall order.

jayochs

Apr 30, 2011
Visit site
the only lag i've found on this deals with the launcher. when going home, or unlocking the phone, if you attempt to change home pages left/right too fast, it will lag out..the launcher refreshes almost every time you come back to it, it seems, and while it's refreshing, it doesn't allow you to move pages, or open folders. however, double tap to screne off still works, so it's some type of launcher issue.

for example, i have my calendar widget on my second screen. when the launcher refreshes, you see little circles bc it's gathering data to refresh that widget. whewni shut the screen off and turn it back on from that screen, i'll notice it doing that, and while it is, i can't switch home screens, and when they finally move ( a delayed response) it's a bit choppy. seems to me the issue here is launcher reload. hopefully we can fix it somehow iwth root. i remember in the galaxy S3/4 days, they always said to drop the dalvik vm heapsize to like 128 to help with launcher reload...but i don't wanna do that because i can't nandroid yet w/o a backup, bc i know if you mess that up, you can end up in a bootloop.

Ken7

May 25, 2011
Visit site
I just asked and the most intelligent iPhone users that I surveyed in 29 countries all said they want at least a 5" screen, removable battery, and an SD card slot...and an SAMOLED display. That's a tall order.

Sounds like you have a lot of design work to do. You better get to it.

Haalcyon

Banned
Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
Sounds like you have a lot of design work to do. You better get to it.

Wow, that's what I thought too! Then someone told me about this phone by Samsung called the Galaxy S4. It seems like it might just work for those poor iPhone users I surveyed...seems to check all their boxes. Wheeewww, I'm glad, that woulda taken me forever!

Note 8.0

Ken7

May 25, 2011
Visit site
You better go back to the drawing boards, battery life sucks. Pain in the **** to keep replacing/carrying extra batteries. We need great battery life... Oh, let's also desaturate those over-saturated SAMOLED colors. ;-)

Haalcyon

Banned
Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
I hear of folks getting over a day on their S4s (including me, I admit). ...and as the months mount and those charge cycles accumilate and the battery wears out it can just be swapped for a brand new same capacity/high capacity unit. Now the thing that the Maxx has going for it that non-S4s don't is that because of it's increased relative capacity it should last longer on a charge, which should mean fewer charges in the same months/years...which should mean longer life for the battery. Maxxes also have that nice looking kevlar back. I'm sure the accessory ecosystem will build, they usually do, and you'll be able to get quite the variety of protective cases for the Maxx too (an unblemished phone commands a higher $ when that time does come.)

P.S. I kinda like my S4's cartoon-like colour saturation. Things so pop...even if just a bit much. :)

Note 8.0

xgman

Sep 19, 2012
Visit site
This is actually a pretty big concern of mine. I switched a few months ago to an iPhone 5 (first iPhone I've ever tried) and what struck me the most was how fluid the experience was...no stutters, no lag, no scrolling jitters...just liquid smooth. Now, every time I try a Android device, the stutters are really abrupt and obvious.

I found this article that explains in more detail, it explains that Android will never be as smooth as iOS because Android is built of JAVA which means it runs within a VIRTUAL MACHINE on the device, whereas iOS directly access' the phone hardware, which is why a 1.2 ghz iPhone with 1GB of RAM is smoother than a Android with nearly double the spec.

I really want to switch back to Android (No simultaneous Voice/Data is frustrating), but the stutters are far too distracting. To this day, I have yet to see a Android phone without web browser scroll stutters; and interestingly enough, Google Apps like YouTube work BETTER on iOS.

Final note, a lot of people that "don't have stutters" in reality "don't notice stutters", mostly because they are upgrading from a slower device or simply arn't bothered by it. Just like how people can claim PenTile screens look beautiful and clear. It's not a dig or cut on people that say their phone is silky smooth, they just don't see it. TONS of people said the S4 was super smooth when it was WORSE than the S3, TONS of people said the S3 had an amazing screen when in reality, it was grainy. TONS of people, just like on the S3, say the S4 is amazing, when in reality...its grainy. (I loathe PenTile)

Personally, my user experience has been unparralleled on my Jailbroken iPhone, but I was hoping the G2 with its big 1080 LCD could pull me back. Looks like I may be waiting a bit longer. :(

I'm sticking with the Androids at least until Apple makes a 4.8" or larger iphone, but I will admit that pretty much everything you have said is pretty much true although my Android experience is limited to S3 to S4 to G2. (S4 was the worst)

xgman

Sep 19, 2012
Visit site
the only lag i've found on this deals with the launcher. when going home, or unlocking the phone, if you attempt to change home pages left/right too fast, it will lag out..the launcher refreshes almost every time you come back to it, it seems, and while it's refreshing, it doesn't allow you to move pages, or open folders. however, double tap to screne off still works, so it's some type of launcher issue.

for example, i have my calendar widget on my second screen. when the launcher refreshes, you see little circles bc it's gathering data to refresh that widget. whewni shut the screen off and turn it back on from that screen, i'll notice it doing that, and while it is, i can't switch home screens, and when they finally move ( a delayed response) it's a bit choppy. seems to me the issue here is launcher reload. hopefully we can fix it somehow iwth root. i remember in the galaxy S3/4 days, they always said to drop the dalvik vm heapsize to like 128 to help with launcher reload...but i don't wanna do that because i can't nandroid yet w/o a backup, bc i know if you mess that up, you can end up in a bootloop.

Does this still happen with NovaLauncher or other launcher substitute? On my S4 this happens constantly and even with Nova.

Ken7

May 25, 2011
Visit site
Battery life is surely not an issue for the G2, surely. It has room to spare for battery wear and will also have fewer charge/discharge cycles because of it.

I still have my GS3 with its poor battery life and also tried the GS4 for 2 weeks prior to returning it for the G2. It only had slightly better battery life, not enough to get through a moderate days use. Almost as important, the radio was typical Samsung. The radio in the G2 is significantly better and also helps with battery life.

I like the GS4, but find the G2 better in important ways.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Akshay