Holy crap textra is amazing

DoyouFanBoyBro

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
For those of you new to this phone and also new to Android. Download TEXTRA.

It's a text messaging app that us just light years amazing. Fast smooth. And tons of good options.

Also you can disable screen on with this app and even configure the led color for Texts. The quick reply function is also better then LGs.

Get it now!!

Posted via Android Central App

gravage

Mar 10, 2010
Visit site
I actually have no issues with the stock SMS client on the G2, but I tried Textra anyway. It's a very nice app, but there are some disadvantages to using it:

1) No badges in the stock launcher
2) No ability to convert a video to MMS like you can with the stock SMS client
3) Can't resize the text size of messages on the fly with pinch-to-zoom
4) No scheduled messaging
5) Inability to attach location, contact, schedule, note pad

I may be missing something. I really DO like that you can set it not to wake up the screen. That's the one thing that I'd like to be able to turn off, but I can't give up the other features of the stock client for that.

Sebastian Bochenko

Sep 15, 2013
Visit site
I actually have no issues with the stock SMS client on the G2, but I tried Textra anyway. It's a very nice app, but there are some disadvantages to using it:

1) No badges in the stock launcher
2) No ability to convert a video to MMS like you can with the stock SMS client
3) Can't resize the text size of messages on the fly with pinch-to-zoom
4) No scheduled messaging
5) Inability to attach location, contact, schedule, note pad

I may be missing something. I really DO like that you can set it not to wake up the screen. That's the one thing that I'd like to be able to turn off, but I can't give up the other features of the stock client for that.

You can set the stock messaging app not to wake up the screen. Go to messaging, settings, notification, and uncheck "new message pop-up"

gravage

Mar 10, 2010
Visit site
You can set the stock messaging app not to wake up the screen. Go to messaging, settings, notification, and uncheck "new message pop-up"

Yeah, but I actually WANT the popup. I just don't want the screen to wake up. If you turn that off, you lose the status bar popup as well.

shea-bird

Jan 19, 2012
Visit site
So I just gave up my N4 for this...and I come to find that there is no group messaging? Am I missing something? All my buddies are in a group msg and I get each one individually....this is 2013...if there is no group text, I will return the phone tomorrow. glad I didn't root it yet.

gravage

Mar 10, 2010
Visit site
So I just gave up my N4 for this...and I come to find that there is no group messaging? Am I missing something? All my buddies are in a group msg and I get each one individually....this is 2013...if there is no group text, I will return the phone tomorrow. glad I didn't root it yet.

There are a number of SMS apps with group messaging. The Optimus G Pro didn't have it either and the Nexus 4 didn't until the most recent version of Android. Taking a great phone back for that one flaw seems hasty.

Sent from my LG-D800 using Tapatalk 4

nytrus113

Jan 27, 2012
Visit site
Yeh I get a response from each of them separate. But firstly my HTC One has the same issue. And secondly, I use whatsapp much more frequently. Like most people my major gripe is with not being able to disable screen wakeup with every single New text. That's ridiculous and a waste of battery. Also, people keep saying to uncheck the pop up option in settings. For the record that does NOT stop the screen from waking up. :-(

shea-bird

Jan 19, 2012
Visit site
There are a number of SMS apps with group messaging. The Optimus G Pro didn't have it either and the Nexus 4 didn't until the most recent version of Android. Taking a great phone back for that one flaw seems hasty.

Sent from my LG-D800 using Tapatalk 4

It is hasty :) I'm not really going to do that, but its rather annoying, as it's a feature I use on a daily basis.

rsjet

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
Yeh I get a response from each of them separate. But firstly my HTC One has the same issue. And secondly, I use whatsapp much more frequently. Like most people my major gripe is with not being able to disable screen wakeup with every single New text. That's ridiculous and a waste of battery. Also, people keep saying to uncheck the pop up option in settings. For the record that does NOT stop the screen from waking up. :-(

Hmm, mine doesn't wake up the screen everytime i get a text... Maybe you have some strange setting on? Or maybe you dont have any lock screen set? I have the default lock screen and I use knock on/off to turn off the screen after I text.

buenos

Oct 9, 2010
Visit site
You need to enable it in settings. It works with any phone that supports it..

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk 2

kkel19

Aug 13, 2010
Visit site
I like textra so far...except for the fact you cant do special unique notifications for certain people. (aka gf, best friend, mom, etc). Thats what I miss about Handcent. But textra just much more smoother imo.

kg4icg

Jan 19, 2011
Visit site
Been using Textra on my Note 2 for the last 4 months with no issues and yes it has group messaging. Just add more names of all you want to send the message to.

KoukiFC3S

Oct 9, 2009
Visit site
I like textra so far...except for the fact you cant do special unique notifications for certain people. (aka gf, best friend, mom, etc). Thats what I miss about Handcent. But textra just much more smoother imo.

Have you tried long pressing a conversation? You can set unique notifications there.

ayman86

May 7, 2010
Visit site

The htc one has group messaging. I use it all the time. Its in the message setting at the bottom.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 4

DoyouFanBoyBro

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site

Yes but i WANT a message pop-up, and textra has the best implementation of this so far, because with Textra you can make it so the POP up never happens over what you are doing, so it's not annoying and just use the DROP DOWN bar, and when you tap on texts inside of that you get a quick reply pop up. then it goes away. It's brilliant and easy

DoyouFanBoyBro

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
Yeah the G2 has group messasing, also Textra does group messaging.

bova80

Sep 2, 2013
Visit site
the group messaging for the stock messaging app doesn't seem to work right unless the people you are talking to probably need to have it as well, which now that I think of it is probably the case.