location always on?

shadowsjc

Sep 4, 2011
Visit site
I think that my location service is always on my phone, even when I'm on airplane mode, gps off, wifi off. This symbol with the dot with the radio signal emanating from the top right (can't figure out how to attach a screen shot on mobile but will try again from home tonight) has been active on my status bar lately. Is this happening to anyone else? Is it normal? Thanks!

johnnyshinta

Jul 30, 2010
Visit site
That means you have location services turned on. So when you use an application that needs your location it will use Wifi and cell towers to approximate your position. Most people leave this on and turn on gps for more precise use like navigation.

bova80

Sep 2, 2013
Visit site
for me if I had location services on to use wifi and network signal it crushed my battery. google services were keeping the phone awake and battery life suffered big time. turned it off and I don't have any issues. the option is under settings and location access.

shadowsjc

Sep 4, 2011
Visit site
thanks - but would this affect google maps / navigation in any way? i seem to remember that i messed with that setting on my Droid Bionic and it hampered me from using google maps

bova80

Sep 2, 2013
Visit site
google maps should just use the gps rather than the wifi/gps combo. it might be a little slower finding location but it won't drain your battery as much and will allow the device to sleep.