Custom text/email tones

unike313

Jun 18, 2013
Visit site
Haven't purchased a G2 yet, waiting for upgrade. But does it allow custom tones for text, email, etc...?

Posted via Android Central App

Ken7

May 25, 2011
Visit site
I had a friend over today who wanted to look at my G2. After seeing it he's buying one but we tried to create text message tones for contacts and just couldn't find a way to do it. If you add a field, it doesn't give you the option to add a tone for that contact. Yes, you can prescribe a color for the LED, but not the tones.

So am I missing something?

bova80

Sep 2, 2013
Visit site
That would probably be in the app specific settings. This thread said text/email. No one said IM.

The message alert is texts.

Ken7

May 25, 2011
Visit site
Sorry bova, I did mean text messages. We tried changing the tone and it only impacted phone calls. When he sent me a text, there was no change in the tone. Maybe I'm doing something wrong here.

Ken7

May 25, 2011
Visit site
Bova, sorry to be dense on this, but I don't see how you can create a 'unique' (per sender) text message tone. I'm not seeing the field in contacts when they're edited. In terms of 'sound', I only see 'Ringtone', but nothing for a text message sound that's unique for that sender.

kcalmol

Dec 23, 2011
Visit site
When I was playing with the phone in store, I didn't see a way to do custom text tones, either. You can, of course, download "custom sms tones" from Play, or do it via Lightflow. I can't understand why they would allow custom ringtones and not text.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using AC Forums mobile app

TrekkieMonster

Sep 2, 2013
Visit site
Just as an FYI, the "Message Alerts" option does not appear in the Verizon version when editing individual contacts. And I'm bummed, because I was looking for this option, as well.

kollarism

May 13, 2012
Visit site
Bova, sorry to be dense on this, but I don't see how you can create a 'unique' (per sender) text message tone. I'm not seeing the field in contacts when they're edited. In terms of 'sound', I only see 'Ringtone', but nothing for a text message sound that's unique for that sender.

You can. Go to the specific contact, click the edit button in the top right (pencil) and then you can change the ringtone or message tone for each person.

Edit: I have the ATT version. Guess Verizon messed this one up too.

You could always download handcent or goSMS, which are pretty good too.

kcalmol

Dec 23, 2011
Visit site
I figured that's why we were having a disconnect on this issue. I was playing with the Verizon version. Really silly that they would omit this. Wish they hadn't messed with the buttons as well.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using AC Forums mobile app

Kris Nelson

Jul 27, 2013
Visit site
This is on the Verizon version as well. Go to the contact you want to add custom to, click edit at the top (pencil) scroll to the bottom.. You can do custom ringtone and color LED notification.

Then for text... Long press on an open conversation and you can edit that persons custom tones, etc.

Ken7

May 25, 2011
Visit site
Kris, I don't see that option when doing a long press on an open conversation. There are other options that open up, but nothing related to custom tones (Verizon).

JayWill

Jun 21, 2011
Visit site
Just as an FYI, the "Message Alerts" option does not appear in the Verizon version when editing individual contacts. And I'm bummed, because I was looking for this option, as well.

Wow really? How odd. That's a basic Android function for contacts.

Sent from my LG G2 via Tapatalk

unike313

Jun 18, 2013
Visit site
Sorry if this has been explained, but is there a way to set a custom text tone...for all text? Not just factory ringers.

JayWill

Jun 21, 2011
Visit site
Sorry if this has been explained, but is there a way to set a custom text tone...for all text? Not just factory ringers.

Yes. Download whatever sound you want use, then open your sound settings menu for notifications and hit the plus sign on the top right. Find your sound on the list and select it. That file will then be in your "My notification sound" list at the top.

Sent from my LG G2 via Tapatalk

Ken7

May 25, 2011
Visit site
So I guess we've come to the conclusion that you can't set unique, per contact, alert sounds for messaging on the Verizon version? Thanks Verizon.