What's up with the mediocre reviews for the G2?

Ken7

May 25, 2011
Visit site
Bova, honestly, nothing would surprise me. I've actually read far more very positive reviews than negative. I really think the thread title is very misleading. Aside from that, I can't recall owning a phone that the owners are so happy with. I always look at owner reviews as another very important data point about the product.

Jodiuh

Apr 6, 2010
Visit site
ROFL! That Giz author deserves a punch in the face for such a crappy review.

The software is NO BIG DEAL!
The battery is AWESOME!
The back buttons are FINE!

And that's coming from someone who chose not to keep it!

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2

Nreeldeep

Sep 9, 2010
Visit site
The Pocket Now video review of this phone drove me nuts for the same reason as OP. I like Phone Dog's though. Aaron is doing a 30 day challenge with the G2.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 4
Why would any review drive you nuts? You do understand the reviewer at Pocketnow is one person right. Why isn't it OK that he or she may have different tastes than you? Do you value that person's opinion over your own? Don't you have opinions on things that may be vastly different from others? We all do. What would you say to someone who thought your opinion on a subject was way off base and driving him nuts? Of course you'd tell him it's your opinion, which you feel is valid to you correct? Though your friend may differ. And that's fine.
People are not going to always like what we like. And that should be OK unless we allow others' opinions to supercede our own. When that happens, feelings get hurt.
An old saying goes, "What I eat don't make YOU fat."
Food for thought.

Nreeldeep

Sep 9, 2010
Visit site
I'm a teacher by trade, so let me offer an assignment: If you must seek out the opinions of total strangers as opposed to doing your own due diligence, i.e at the store giving a device some hands on time or purchasing it on a trial basis, thus developing your own opinions, then seek out positive, glowing reviews. They are out there. Only read the reviews that make you feel proud of the choice you made or are about to make. Read the reviews that highlight the strong points of the device and talk about how the device is one of the best on the market right now. Read reviews that make you feel happy. Then come talk about those great reviews on the message board. Avoid the reviews that dare denigrate your beloved device of choice. Your self esteem will thank you and you'll sleep better at night with the knowledge that others love your device too.
The little boy said to his dad, "It hurts when I do this." as the little boy touched a bruise on his leg.
His father replied, "Then don't do that."

MrSlippery519

Oct 11, 2011
Visit site
I have seen mostly positive reviews to be honest, unfortunately you are always going to get a few poorly written ones. Its okay to say "I the reviewer does not like the button placement" but to make a blanket statement that is sucks and is a terrible design just seems like you are not that intelligent.

Ken7

May 25, 2011
Visit site
LOL, Nreeldeep. Kind of like the guy who goes into the Doctor's office and tells him it hurts when he raises his hand over his head. Of course the Doctor tells him not to raise his hands over his head.

But yes, there are plenty of great reviews out there on the G2 and a few, not so praiseworthy. As I've said, owner's reviews are for me, more indicative of the quality of the product being discussed. That's why it's impressive to see the reviews on the Verizon site. The G2 has a 95% 'recommended' by owners and a 4.6 rating out of 5. If you scour all the other phones, you'll see that's very unusual. Even the Iphone 5 only has an 87% 'recommended' rating by owners.

So apparently owners have a far different opinion of the device than the negative reviewers.

Jodiuh

Apr 6, 2010
Visit site
Well, they're right though. A Nexus 5 w/ the same specs, but a nice matte soft touch back and a pure google experience would do wonders for this phone. Especially if they fix all the bugs.

marky_yo

Mar 8, 2013
Visit site
The Pocket Now video review of this phone drove me nuts for the same reason as OP. I like Phone Dog's though. Aaron is doing a 30 day challenge with the G2.

I will have to watch pocketnows video...aaron drives me nuts with his constant love for Samsung, it just gets old and Best Buy mobile sucks imo lol

brewkelyn

Aug 17, 2011
Visit site
Why would any review drive you nuts? You do understand the reviewer at Pocketnow is one person right. Why isn't it OK that he or she may have different tastes than you? Do you value that person's opinion over your own? Don't you have opinions on things that may be vastly different from others? We all do. What would you say to someone who thought your opinion on a subject was way off base and driving him nuts? Of course you'd tell him it's your opinion, which you feel is valid to you correct? Though your friend may differ. And that's fine.
People are not going to always like what we like. And that should be OK unless we allow others' opinions to supercede our own. When that happens, feelings get hurt.
Food for thought.

Let me be more specific as to why it drove me nuts. For example, it wasn't the reviewer's opinion that the notification tray was cluttered, particularly noting the Q-slide ribbon, that bothered me. It was the fact that (a) he didn't know that you can toggle that row of apps on & off or (b) he deliberately left that relevant tidbit of info out. In either case, some credibility was lost IMO.

Also, a feature of this phone that has been consistently left out of reviews is Guest Mode, and I think that's a neat feature to include when commenting about the software.

LegalAmerican

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
Food for thought.

You missed the point. No one cares if he has a different opinion. It's that he's being ridiculous and illogical. And no, not just because he feels differently. There's bad reviews that you simply disagree with, and then there's reviews like these that clearly have a hidden agenda.

LegalAmerican

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
I'm a teacher by trade, so let me offer an assignment: If you must seek out the opinions of total strangers as opposed to doing your own due diligence, i.e at the store giving a device some hands on time or purchasing it on a trial basis, thus developing your own opinions, then seek out positive, glowing reviews. They are out there. Only read the reviews that make you feel proud of the choice you made or are about to make. Read the reviews that highlight the strong points of the device and talk about how the device is one of the best on the market right now. Read reviews that make you feel happy. Then come talk about those great reviews on the message board. Avoid the reviews that dare denigrate your beloved device of choice. Your self esteem will thank you and you'll sleep better at night with the knowledge that others love your device too.
The little boy said to his dad, "It hurts when I do this." as the little boy touched a bruise on his leg.
His father replied, "Then don't do that."

No one has pitchforks and torches. It's perfectly acceptable for someone to discuss another's review and the flaws they discovered. No one expects all the reviews to be glowing and full of 100% praise, but I appreciate the heads up on who's reviews are complete trash and based entirely off of kickbacks from a competing company. If we know who the honest and fair are, we can seek out their advice to supplement our own hands on research. As a teacher, you probably want your students to provide multiple sources from trusted websites and/or books, right? Would give you a student an A+ on an assignment if he or she turned in a research paper based solely on his or her own opinions? I doubt it. You'd want a "Works Cited" page included and you'd expect the sources to be credible. All that's happening here, is we're learning why this particular review is not credible. And no, it's not just because it's negative.

BOSSY TEXAS CHICK

Mar 2, 2011
Visit site
.....This is....

:-* I'm with you, brother : )

Throw the flip cover on this baby and it feels if plastic ain't your thing, but honestly, the phone feels good with OR without the case..... Alsoi love how they didn't put plastic in the cutout, but instead put a chrome-like border around it, makes the clock look like part of the case!

Its almost like the reviewers think its "uncool" to say that LG has "hit it out of the park wth LG G2", it drives me crazy too, or used to, i'm just about ova it. Even sent Phil N a quick video when they dogged the notifications screen, showing how u can so easily reposition.... In fact, i'll post it for y'all! Here's a pic of flip cover w/ clock...This phone looks and acts ANYTHING but cheap!

InFlipCase_zpsf472d518.jpg

i NEVER like cases or flip covers, but this came F-R-E-E w/ Tmobile version (had to return Korean F-320K model of the G2- that one wasn't workin' out ) and i was like, "i'll never use this", but the way it adds so much flair & functionality to the device, not only WILL i use it, i think i'll order a second one : )

LG adds little touches throughout everything it does, and i for one, do not consider it "overkill", i consider it "ROM'ING without the fear or bricking my phone...As long as you don't make my phone stutter & lag, i got nooooooo proplem with a gazillion customization options....lol

BTC

Last edited:

D13H4RD2L1V3

Retired Moderator
Sep 4, 2013
Visit site
The biggest deal-breaker for me was the lack of expandable storage.

And yes, I own a HTC One, wish has the same issue, but they compensated by adding 16 more GBs to the device's internal memory.

LG should take a page from this and compensate the lack of expandable memory by having AT LEAST 32GB of storage on the base phone. 16GB by now is just too small (plus, who knows how much bloat the carriers would load on it)

Rant aside, the G2 is simple amazing! No phone I've seen performed tasks THIS quickly, especially when gaming, which I do...a lot.

mhunter6378

May 15, 2013
Visit site

And yes, I own a HTC One, wish has the same issue, but they compensated by adding 16 more GBs to the device's internal memory.

LG should take a page from this and compensate the lack of expandable memory by having AT LEAST 32GB of storage on the base phone. 16GB by now is just too small (plus, who knows how much bloat the carriers would load on it)

Rant aside, the G2 is simple amazing! No phone I've seen performed tasks THIS quickly, especially when gaming, which I do...a lot.

Mine has 32gb...

gollum18

Oct 10, 2011
Visit site
Its because it isn't a Samsung. As all of the big android tech enthusiasts are all Samsung fan boys.

I personally would trade my s3 any day for a g2. The screen alone is better than the s4s. I do t care what silly tests show, lg makes displays, Samsung makes microprocessors so inherently lg will make a better product. Especially when you consider that they manufacturer Samsung's displays.

I love lg products, they keep the system as close to stock as possible while still creating a unique experience. And unlike samsung devices, they dont come loaded with OEM bloat and gimmicks to slow them down.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

BOSSY TEXAS CHICK

Mar 2, 2011
Visit site

Mine has 32GB also....and so did the Korean version i owned for like 30 min...lol

I think LG has not only taken a page from Samsung's book, but they took the ENTIRE Book and turned it into a set of A-Z encyclopedias, AND without slowing things down, i might add : )

BTC