What's up with the mediocre reviews for the G2?

gollum18

Oct 10, 2011
Visit site
Mine has 32GB also....and so did the Korean version i owned for like 30 min...lol

I think LG has not only taken a page from Samsung's book, but they took the ENTIRE Book and turned it into a set of A-Z encyclopedias, AND without slowing things down, i might add : )

BTC

It may be because foreign cell phone carriers don't load their phones up with useless carrier crap or lock them down to one carrier. The us is not the main cell phone market for foreign OEMS. Ever notice how foreign countries always get these really awesome devices that no us carrier has? And when we do get a device, the greedy carriers here request to make changes to it. Why should OEMS deviate from their original blueprints just to make a carrier happy, it sounds silly if you ask me. They won't even allow OEMS to directly update the device, even though THEY are the ones who built it in the first place. I would be pretty mad to if someone with a bunch of money told me what I can and cannot do with my products.

There's only so much an OEM is willing to bend to accomadate a segment of the market. Its just that Samsung has done enough bending, they could break their back 3 times.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

Mr.Willie

Mar 21, 2013
Visit site
This phone really gets no love in reviews, only user forums. Once I bought this I was so impressed with it compared to the S4. I truly feel that I am either nuts for thinking this phone is really that good or there is some sort of commercial conspiracy against it. I also felt that all the critical acclaim for the HTC One was a conspiracy of reviewers trying to create an interest in an android war for more traffic to their sites. So I may be a bit crazy.

Is Samsung paying people to trash competitors products again ? I too have an HTC One, and I laugh when people flaunt their G3 and G4s. The Samsung screens are pathetic. And they call iPhone users sheep... :eek:

JHBThree

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
Please prove this to be true about the Gizmodo review.

There isn't really any other way to explain why his review was so divergent from the rest. The only options are a) He has a bias against LG or b) There was another motivating factor (like Samsung ad sales for example). Gizmodo and Gawker have no integrity, and they haven't for a while, and reviews like theirs show it.

Sent from my LG-D801 using Tapatalk 2

ultravisitor

Aug 29, 2010
Visit site
There isn't really any other way to explain why his review was so divergent from the rest. The only options are a) He has a bias against LG or b) There was another motivating factor (like Samsung ad sales for example). Gizmodo and Gawker have no integrity, and they haven't for a while, and reviews like theirs show it.

In other words, there is no proof.

I'm not saying that Gizmodo is a paragon of integrity. I do think it's a little ridiculous how much butthurt there is over the review, and I knew there would be as soon as I saw it. The thing is, that review is one of many. As long as you are confident in the choice you made and enjoy using your phone, a negative review shouldn't change your experience.

JHBThree

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
In other words, there is no proof.

I'm not saying that Gizmodo is a paragon of integrity. I do think it's a little ridiculous how much butthurt there is over the review, and I knew there would be as soon as I saw it. The thing is, that review is one of many. As long as you are confident in the choice you made and enjoy using your phone, a negative review shouldn't change your experience.

I'm not butthurt about it. I stopped reading gizmodo a long time ago because of how awful they became. People are talking about it because how ridiculously bad the review was, not because they're butthurt about it. Heck, the author as much as said that he wrote it to get a reaction more than anything else.

Sent from my LG-D801 using Tapatalk 2

WickedRabbit

May 31, 2013
Visit site
I'll add in my $0.02. After having owned the HTC One (Google Edition and Standard), S4 and G2 I still think the HTC One is the better of all of them. It's just a more well-rounded product for me personally.

As far as the G2 and why I think it's not getting the love some think it deserves I can only wonder if it's the same reasons I don't think it's in the same league as a smartphone such as the HTC One: the G2 has zero personality and no identity of its own. Really, it just feels like a faster S4. It looks like a Samsung phone, feels like a Samsung phone and has features like a Samsung phone - both hardware and software. To some that's not necessarily a bad thing (depends on if you like Samsung and Touchwiz) - but to a critic that's a very negative thing for a product to not really have its own identity. An iPhone is an iPhone. HTC One is the king of material build quality in the Android world and has useful/fun features (front facing speakers, Zoe), Nokia's Windows Phone are unmistakably theirs, the S4 has a plethora of features/gimmicks and the G2 has... also a plethora of features/gimmicks. There's nothing that really separates it. Is it a bad phone? By no means. But is it unique and does it separate itself from other products? Only on paper, but not in day to day use.

The G2 doesn't really have any defining feature that truly sets it apart from the rest. By truly defining, I don't mean a 'unique' feature, I mean something that the average person can connect with and appreciate and its easily distinguishable. Instead, the G2 is a hardware guru's dream product, but really sort of falls short when it comes to being a unique product in terms of something exclusive. Sure, they have Knock On, but it doesn't always work right. Sure, there's the back buttons but that's really hit or miss depending on personal preference. Sure, there's the 24-bit audio (wired headphones only), but that means little to the average person who doesn't even know what that means, won't be able to tell the difference and needs an expensive headset to take advantage of it. And after that, it's just all copies/clones of S4 features that LG has tweaked with varying results.

The G2 is a better S4. It has a bigger screen, bigger battery, better processor... there's a lot of little things that are 'better'. But, put it side by side with an S4 and there are many average customers who would easily think it was a Samsung phone.

Finally, there's just way too much going on with the G2. I mean I thought the S4 was loaded up the **** with options. LG takes it to a whole new level. It's a cluster bomb of settings and options. So many in fact you'll miss many of them and not even know they are there.

Like I said, that isn't to say the G2 is a bad product, but it does explain why a critic would have a hard time with it. If LG came back next year with a G3 that redesigned their UX to not be so much of a Touchwiz clone you might see some better scores. Until then, it'll always play second fiddle to Samsung because LG is making it too obvious that they only care about beating Samsung by "being" Samsung.

kollarism

May 13, 2012
Visit site

jeverts

Nov 23, 2010
Visit site
After a side by side comparison, I went with the One. Size, front facing speakers being the 2 determining factors.

Sent from my One

kollarism

May 13, 2012
Visit site
The G2 is a better S4. It has a bigger screen, bigger battery, better processor... there's a lot of little things that are 'better'. But, put it side by side with an S4 and there are many average customers who would easily think it was a Samsung phone.

Finally, there's just way too much going on with the G2. I mean I thought the S4 was loaded up the **** with options. LG takes it to a whole new level. It's a cluster bomb of settings and options. So many in fact you'll miss many of them and not even know they are there.

Like I said, that isn't to say the G2 is a bad product, but it does explain why a critic would have a hard time with it. If LG came back next year with a G3 that redesigned their UX to not be so much of a Touchwiz clone you might see some better scores. Until then, it'll always play second fiddle to Samsung because LG is making it too obvious that they only care about beating Samsung by "being" Samsung.

The fact that the G2 has the biggest screen and best battery compared to its size on the market isn't intriguing? People like to rave about the droid maxx, but it has a 1" smaller screen.

Would't you rather had a lot of settings that you can choose to use/not use, as opposed to not even having the customization available to you without rooting? Having the phone about a week now, its really not a "cluster bomb."

tp2386

Apr 2, 2010
Visit site
After a side by side comparison, I went with the One. Size, front facing speakers being the 2 determining factors.

Sent from my One
I just joined at&t yesterday. After my side to side comparison, I had to go with the G2. The biggest thing that irked me about the One, was the power button placement. It's at the top left and was nearly flush against the material.

WickedRabbit

May 31, 2013
Visit site
The fact that the G2 has the biggest screen and best battery compared to its size on the market isn't intriguing? People like to rave about the droid maxx, but it has a 1" smaller screen.

Would't you rather had a lot of settings that you can choose to use/not use, as opposed to not even having the customization available to you without rooting? Having the phone about a week now, its really not a "cluster bomb."

The battery life is intriguing indeed and it's one thing I've been wanting OEM's to do for a while now. However, people have proved that user experience is more important to them than battery life - otherwise the RAZR Maxx's would be in the upper echelon of sales, which they aren't.

And no, I don't want an OEM to choose to load in a ton of settings for me, especially on Android. Why? Because often times there are better third party alternatives that I could use anyway that will use less ram, less battery and less storage. For example: I don't care for LG's toggles because they don't have options that I'd use (hotspot, quick shortcuts to apps) and they are huge, when I'd personally use smaller ones. So, if you're going to "force" something like that on me I should be able to use it how I want or disable it entirely. I don't care for LG's launcher customization's because third party options, such as Nova are still better and more refined.

...and also, there is nothing on the G2 that you can't add to android straight from Google Play - without rooting. Everything it has is just an imitation of another feature or third party app. You don't need to root to get anything it has.

MrBungle999

Aug 3, 2013
Visit site
After leaving Apple my first phone was a s4 which I had for 6 months before I just recently switched to the G2. In between I had a short stint with a HTC one and an active.

I may still be android naive a bit but I don't understand why people are saying g2 software is overdone and full of bloat. I felt that it was pretty bare to the bones with some stock custom features. Th one was completely taken over by blinkfeed and the s4 just a slow laggy slug. G2 w is straight to the point

Sent from my LG-D800 using AC Forums mobile app

Dreamliner330

Sep 3, 2011
Visit site
After leaving Apple my first phone was a s4 which I had for 6 months before I just recently switched to the G2. In between I had a short stint with a HTC one and an active.

I may still be android naive a bit but I don't understand why people are saying g2 software is overdone and full of bloat. I felt that it was pretty bare to the bones with some stock custom features. Th one was completely taken over by blinkfeed and the s4 just a slow laggy slug. G2 w is straight to the point

Sent from my LG-D800 using AC Forums mobile app
Compared to a Moto X or Nexus, it's still pretty heavy. Though in seeing some promising progress in ROMs.

MrBungle999

Aug 3, 2013
Visit site
I was at an att store Friday 9/20 and they had no cases or screen protectors out for G2. The phone on display had no power or description label either. I asked why no love? They said it just went on shelf yesterday and they didn't have time too give it any love.

Hmmm......a week since launch day. are they just that lazy or do they just not give a damn?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nanran21