Wireless Storage on the LG G2

JayWill

Jun 21, 2011
Visit site
So I had seen this feature on the G2 when going through the settings, and pretty much disregarded it as something silly or not useful. Boy was I wrong. It turns out you can use this to access the files on your phone via a PC or Mac on your wifi network via a file sharing function called SMB (Server Message Block). No need to plug in a cable and none of those slow and terrible web interfaces. It's essentially wireless USB storage and the transfer speed is very good depending on your wifi network. Yes there are Apps out there that do this, but this is native in the LG software on the G2 which is always a plus. Here's what you do ...

There's a toggle for it on the notification window. If you don't have the toggle selected, hit edit at the very end, select it, and move it to where you want it on your toggle bar. You can also turn it on by going to Settings > Share & connect > Wireless storage.

If you used the toggle, a notification will pop up in the window that includes your phone's IP address and the username and password.

Option 1: Direct search

Double Click on Computer on your PC to open your Explorer. Click the search bar at the top and type in the following:

\\192.168.x.xx (the IP address listed on your Wireless storage screen)

You will be prompted to enter your username and password and once done a network folder labeled "g2" will pop up and you will have wireless access to your phone.

Option 2: Map a network drive

Double Click on Computer on your PC to open your Explorer, then choose "Map network drive" from the top menu, choose a drive letter then for the folder type in the following:

\\192.168.x.xx\G2

Like in the direct search method, the IP address you'll want to enter is the IP listed on your Wireless storage screen. Make sure you also include all the forward slashes and the \G2 at the end.

You will be prompted to enter your username and password and once done a mapped network drive labeled "G2" will pop up on your explorer screen. Double click that drive and you will have wireless access to your phone.

*NOTE*: The \G2 at the end seems to be required in order to map a network drive, but it is not required when doing a direct search in the explorer search bar. This is probably because the "g2" folder is what is shared, and you can only map to a shared folder. Interestingly, the \G2 is also required if you prefer to access your phone via a web browser, as is listed in LG's instructions on the Wireless storage screen itself, but fails to include this information. I tried many different ways and simply entering the IP address or \\G2 in a browser window simply doesn't work. I'm sure there are some technical reasons for this, but I'm just a tech enthusiast not a professional.

Mac Users

Open your Finder, hit Command K then enter smb://192.168.x.xx/ for the server address. No /G2 is required at the end of the IP address since you are not mapping a network drive.

* Note for Mac users: There appears to be an issue with SMB file sharing on at least the current version of OS X, but probably older versions as well. While you will be able to connect to your phone using the above method, you will only be able to move files from your phone to your computer. Trying to move files from your computer to the phone results in the equivalent of a "disk full" error message. If anyone comes up with a workaround please post in this thread and I'll update the instructions.

Very easy and pretty amazing. Just one more hidden gem in the LG software that nobody talks about in reviews (edit - okay Jerry did mention it in his review. Gold star Jerry!).

Last edited:

oldschoolsig

Aug 18, 2013
Visit site
I set it up...thanks. besides remotely accessing photos,what other applications are there for this? Can the once used wirelessly to backup the g2?

Sent from my LG-D800 using Tapatalk 4

JayWill

Jun 21, 2011
Visit site
I set it up...thanks. besides remotely accessing photos,what other applications are there for this? Can the once used wirelessly to backup the g2?

Well, you could use the built in LG Backup function to create a backup, then use Wireless Storage to drag that backup file over to a PC for safekeeping. Once you have the drive mapped on a PC, it's just a couple of taps on your phone to have instant access to the phone's contents. I've been looking at this as a solid way to interact with files on my phone without needing a cable nearby or dealing with MTP which can have its frustrations sometimes.

oldschoolsig

Aug 18, 2013
Visit site
I'm doing this as we speak. Coming from ios and icloud. I feel better. I wish I could take photos from my computer and to g2 via this featurr

LG Gnome

Sep 24, 2013
Visit site
Tried this on two different pc laptops, follwed directions as listed carefully. Will not connect. Both devices on same wifi network.

Not sure if this newest G2 release and update i just performed has locked this out.

JayWill

Jun 21, 2011
Visit site
Tried this on two different pc laptops, follwed directions as listed carefully. Will not connect. Both devices on same wifi network.

Not sure if this newest G2 release and update i just performed has locked this out.

Hmm sounds like you're on Verizon since you mentioned an update. Any other Verizon G2 owners get it connected? Also, what OS is on your laptops?

Sent from my LG G2 via Tapatalk

srkmagnus

Retired Moderator
May 23, 2010
Visit site
Awesome. Another small feature that sets this device apart from others. It's details like this that I like seeing. Yes, this feature is available as an app download (wifi file explorer works great by the way), but there's something to be said about an oem including it in the shipped software.

Sent from my GT-P7510 using Tapatalk 2

JayWill

Jun 21, 2011
Visit site
One thing to add, if your on a Mac and OS X, open your Finder, hit Command K then enter smb://192.168.x.xx/ for the server address. Interestingly, you do not enter the /G2 at the end of the IP address, which makes me think this is a Windows OS thing. On two different Windows 7 machines, I had to add the /G2 at the end to get it to connect and map a drive.

Last edited:

MrBungle999

Aug 3, 2013
Visit site
Are you able to drag files from the computer to the phone? I get a no space on disc warning when trying to drag any file from computer

Sent from my LG-D800 using AC Forums mobile app

JayWill

Jun 21, 2011
Visit site
Are you able to drag files from the computer to the phone? I get a no space on disc warning when trying to drag any file from computer

Yeah I moved about 200mb worth of audio files over using this no problem. The drive label says full in Windows Explorer, but I didn't get a warning message when I dragged the files over.

sbudaj

Jan 21, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for this thread. This is amazing. I am on Verizon and it works great. Wireless connection to my phone!

I am able to move files either way to and from my phone to and from my computer.

By the way, does this use any battery?

Thanks.

JayWill

Jun 21, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for this thread. This is amazing. I am on Verizon and it works great. Wireless connection to my phone!

I am able to move files either way to and from my phone to and from my computer.

By the way, does this use any battery?

Thanks.

I doubt it uses any more battery than any other "screen off awake" functions such as playing music. It does cause a partial wakelock and probably prevents deep sleep, so I wouldn't leave it on all the time.

MrBungle999

Aug 3, 2013
Visit site
Yeah I moved about 200mb worth of audio files over using this no problem. The drive label says full in Windows Explorer, but I didn't get a warning message when I dragged the files over.

I'm using Mac. Anyone they this on mac?

mhunter6378

May 15, 2013
Visit site
Ah I didn't try moving files using my Macbook. I will when I get home tonight and report back unless someone beats me to it.

Thanks for putting this out. I use a Mac also and would appreciate any tips you can offer when you have a chance to give it a try.

JayWill

Jun 21, 2011
Visit site
Yep same issue using my Macbook. You can move files from the phone to the Mac, but not the other way around. I dug around a bit and it appears this is a common issue with Macs and SMB shares.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chelsea rae