I love life after ridding myself from the GNEX

VideoEngineerAJS

Jan 6, 2011
Visit site
is g2 really close to stock google as it comes?

No, it's definitely not stock, but the features that come with the phone definitely do not slow it down and as I've said in multiple posts, Google could easily put some of LG's features into stock without any issues of making it feel too "gimmicky". If LG keeps up the good work with the software I may stick with them as I was getting bored with stock, but the new Sense just doesn't do much for me either and Touchwiz seems to be a hog.

DorothyP

Oct 8, 2013
Visit site
All this time I thought GNex was the Google Nexus 4 and I could not believe the complaints about it seeing as the Nexus was so well regarded and so many are waiting on a Nexus 5.
Now things make sense ;=)

brownel02

Jun 12, 2010
Visit site
I am very shocked that people are/were having such issues with their GNex's. This is a developer site as much as it is anything. Have you tried other ROM's? I have the standard battery in my GNex and can get about 10 hours of regular (for me) use on it. This equates to about 1 hour screen on time (email, web, candy crush, adam carolla, calendar...). Currently running Slim ROM - 4.3 with lean kernel. I do have an extra battery in my bag but have only needed it a handful of times.

That said, I was just in to look at the G2 and also the Note 3. I found the Note 3 just a bit too big for my liking. I would have walked out with the G2 had it not been for the stupid lady at the V store. She asked why I didn't want it and I told her I would take it in a second as long as she could keep me in my unlimited plan. I told her I was sold a bill of goods from Verizon when I signed up. They kept telling me that with the 4G network I could do anything I wanted, and if I got the unlimited plan I wouldn't have to worry about any overages. Well, a few short years later and they are making you pay extra if you want to keep it (bait and switch!!). Typically I use between 6-8Gig/mo., I travel a lot and stream videos, music and podcasts. Changing plans I would end up paying about $75/mo more to get me to that same level. Sorry, got off on a rant there.

VideoEngineerAJS

Jan 6, 2011
Visit site
I am very shocked that people are/were having such issues with their GNex's. This is a developer site as much as it is anything. Have you tried other ROMs? I have the standard battery in my GNex and can get about 10 hours of regular (for me) use on it. This equates to about 1 hour screen on time (email, web, candy crush, adam carolla, calendar...). Currently running Slim ROM - 4.3 with lean kernel. I do have an extra battery in my bag but have only needed it a handful of times.

That said, I was just in to look at the G2 and also the Note 3. I found the Note 3 just a bit too big for my liking. I would have walked out with the G2 had it not been for the stupid lady at the V store. She asked why I didn't want it and I told her I would take it in a second as long as she could keep me in my unlimited plan. I told her I was sold a bill of goods from Verizon when I signed up. They kept telling me that with the 4G network I could do anything I wanted, and if I got the unlimited plan I wouldn't have to worry about any overages. Well, a few short years later and they are making you pay extra if you want to keep it (bait and switch!!). Typically I use between 6-8Gig/mo., I travel a lot and stream videos, music and podcasts. Changing plans I would end up paying about $75/mo more to get me to that same level. Sorry, got off on a rant there.

I'm thinking about rooting the Galaxy Nexus and putting a ROM on it before I hand it off to my mother when she comes to visit for Thanksgiving. Is the one you are currently running the best in your opinion?

That's why I went ahead an bought the phone outright. Even with paying full retail I end up saving money over going to a new plan and losing unlimited data.

DorothyP

Oct 8, 2013
Visit site
I ordered my G2 online and picked up in store during that one day glitch for 139.00 and retained my unlimited. My plan had been to wait for the Nexus 5 and go to another carrier. But that deal was too good to pass on. When the Note 3 came out, I dropped by to see it as I would have been able to keep my plan and just pay the restock fee. But it was not for me. Nice phone but I prefer a LCD screen and prefer the hand feel of the G2. But VZW was really pushing the N3. They were still setting up the display that day and the guy stayed with me and peppered me with questions about the LG g2 vs the N3. What was very clear to me was nobody seemed to know much about the LG g2 or care to. It was all about Samsung and Droids.

brownel02

Jun 12, 2010
Visit site
I'm thinking about rooting the Galaxy Nexus and putting a ROM on it before I hand it off to my mother when she comes to visit for Thanksgiving. Is the one you are currently running the best in your opinion?

That's why I went ahead an bought the phone outright. Even with paying full retail I end up saving money over going to a new plan and losing unlimited data.

Unfortunately (or Fortunately) that is such a loaded question. There are SO many good ROM's for the GNex. It really comes down to what you want in a ROM. I was looking for something very simple, stable and not full of bling. That is exactly what Slim provides me. The battery life is as good as it gets with the phone, much better than stock. I do not employ any of those battery conserving schemes (turning off gps, wifi, bluetooth), I leave screen on Auto dim...so I just use it as it should be used. If you have not visited the X site (not sure if I can mention them here) you really should. All the Developers are over there and there are a ton of ROMs to choose from.

SuperMarioVT

Apr 28, 2011
Visit site
Same here I had the GNEX for the past 2years and it was time to move on.. I love the G2 specially the amazing battery life, great camera and it's speed.. Hands down the best phone in the market right now according to me :)

Powerplaygraphix

Jul 7, 2011
Visit site
Another former GNEX'er here. I really enjoyed my GNEX up until the last couple of months. It seemed to start lagging like crazy all of the sudden. I kept a 3800 mAh extended in it and could usually make it through a day if I had to but a lot of times I kept it on a charger when I could and kept a charger with me as well as the OEM battery and the other back panel. Verizon's upgrades, or lack there of, REALLY ticked me off. I started shopping around for replacements and had talked to a rep at a 3rd party Authorized reseller about doing the "add a line swap" to keep my unlimited data and get a discount. I had pretty much settled on the G2 and ALMOST did that backdoor THE DAY OF the "Glitch". When I saw that people were succeeding, I jumped on it and got 2 (for me and my wife) for $139 each and I couldn't be more pleased.

I'm going to do a factory reset on the GNEX and HOPEFULLY get my money back on the G2s but they are awesome phones. For the most part though, the GNEX served me well, A LOT better than the T'bolt I had before it. I just hope Verizon acts out of character and actually updates the G2 in a sensible time frame! I REALLY hope that sense LG is using an almost identical architecture in the N5 that the G2 won't be far behind to get Kit Kat!

NewAge

Oct 6, 2010
Visit site

Don't need to root, just unlock the bootloader. Its the only device on VZW with an unlockable bootloader other than OG Droid and Xoom, so take advantage! Well I guess its too late for that.

Flash a CM10.2 or AOKP ROM. Go to xda Verizon Galaxy Nexus development. There's 30 ROMs that are all excellent. Its what made the device the greatest I have ever owned.

Edit: Until this G2 that is. It may take the top spot but it will have tough shoes to fill IMO.

bespinct

Apr 24, 2010
Visit site
I echo many of the negative sentiments of my times with the GNex, but every time I pick up my brother's, I'm always amazed about how nice it felt in the hand. I think it had the perfect form factor.

Posted via Android Central App

ulnek

Dec 22, 2009
Visit site
Going from gnex, myself, to razr maxx was the best decision ever. Went from not being able to use my phone to save battery to finally being able to use a device the way it was meant to, with the screen on lol

Sent from my DROID RAZR using AC Forums mobile app

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lindagibney