Considering a switch from Galaxy S4..thoughts?

OhAlfie

Banned
Sep 30, 2012
Visit site
I'm really on the fence with this one so I'd like to get some feedback.

I really do like my S4 but for some reason it keeps corrupting my SD cards and I have to do a (somewhat) quick and easy fix to get things back in place. Not sure why it happens but it is frustrating. I want a nice sized screen and the G2 on paper seems to fit the bill as does the rest of the feature. I'm still a bit scared of just having 32gb of storage (less with OS stuff). I currently have 30GB used between the internal and external on my S4, so I'm cutting it close.

So to anyone who has had the S4/S III and is using a G2, are you happy with your choice?

I'd like to hear any real world pro's and con's in regards to the day to day use of the G2.

Also, is the LG software (for the PC) used for backups etc decent or is it crap like KIES (Samsung)?

All feedback is appreciated.

Haalcyon

Banned
Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
I definitely understand about the SD card issue. Have you tried usung Samsung SD cards? Well, most the other phones can't have that problem because they don't support SD card except via OTG. Why not use the S4 w/out the SD card altogether? From what I've read you'd be happy with the G2, especially if the S4's removable battery isn't too important to you. For me, the only other place I look, right now, beyond my S4 is to the Note 3, but its size doesn't work for a lot of people.

Last edited:

kollarism

May 13, 2012
Visit site
I came from the galaxy 3, and there is not 1 thing that would make me switch back. This phone has a bigger screen, and the battery literally lasts 2-3 times longer. I'm a moderate/heavy user, and I'm more than pleased with the battery performance. Coming from touchwiz, I think this ui had some similarities but is still cleaner. The phone is blazing fast, and will only get better with software upgrades.

Many people on the forum have switched from sg4 and I haven't seen anyone go back.

mhunter6378

May 15, 2013
Visit site
I'll offer you my thoughts based on what I have been through. I have had the GS3, GS4, GS4 Active, still have a HTC One DE and have had all the iPhones except the newest 5S. Yes I know, long story, I have commitment issues. Really it came down to trying to find THE phone that best suit my needs and offered the balance of features and hardware that I wanted. The G2 is the best for me. What may be best for you may be something entirely different. Am I happy with my choice of the G2, yes I am, very much.

I can relate to your issues with the SD card. I'm guessing that's why Google has gotten away from it although some manufactures continue to provide SD expansion as an option. I have found that the 32gb of internal storage to be plenty for me. I have in the past used much of that space but now rely mostly on cloud solutions for storage of my files (documents, pictures, videos and music) leaving the internal storage open for system files and apps.

In real world use I find the G2 and the native software enhancements to be very functional and a pleasure to use. Performance wise it is fantastic and the battery last a long time. I have no cons to report.

I have not used the LG software for PC. Like I said, I use cloud solutions for my files so I have no real need to connect to a computer. The G2 also has wireless sharing capability where you can connect to your PC wirelessly for file transfer over wifi. I have not used this function yet but I have seen reports by others where they have and liked it.

Good luck with your decision.

OhAlfie

Banned
Sep 30, 2012
Visit site
How do you "back up" the G2 though? Meaning with any iphone I would do a full back up (apps/music/photos/settings/contacts etc) via iTunes so if I switched phones, I could load new phone to be like previous phone.

Same with the S4. "KIES" on my PC would back up the whole phone (apps/settings, etc).

So does LG not offer anything like this?? Cloud (Dropbox etc) isn't going top be able to back up ALL phone settings that I know of.

mhunter6378

May 15, 2013
Visit site
How do you "back up" the G2 though? Meaning with any iphone I would do a full back up (apps/music/photos/settings/contacts etc) via iTunes so if I switched phones, I could load new phone to be like previous phone.

Same with the S4. "KIES" on my PC would back up the whole phone (apps/settings, etc).

So does LG not offer anything like this?? Cloud (Dropbox etc) isn't going top be able to back up ALL phone settings that I know of.

The LG PC software may have this option, I don't use it so I can't comment on that. Besides I use a Mac anyway. My phone is set to backup to Google servers for app data, settings and wifi passwords. All my music on my computer is in iTunes on my computer which syncs to Google Music. The music in turn syncs to my phone wirelessly through Google music. Photos are automatically backed up to Google+, when I take photos they backup over wifi automatically. I send my videos to my Google Drive or Dropbox as needed. I keep all my contacts in my Gmail account and they stay in sync between all my devices as does my calendar. Google Play, like apps through the Apple App store, keeps a record or all the apps you get. Restoring apps or putting them on additional devices is as easy as signing in with your Gmail account.

It really comes down to what work flow works best for you. There are many ways to accomplish this same task, this is what works for me. The way I am set up currently, what's on my phone is on my computer basically, or is accessible through one of several cloud drive options.

One last thought, that backup through iTunes is only good if you get another iPhone. The backups and cloud storage I described are available anywhere and anytime across any platform with the exception of android apps which of course are specific to android devices.

JayWill

Jun 21, 2011
Visit site
On the G2 itself is a function within the settings menu called LG backup. This can be used to create a backup file of your phone which is saved on your internal storage. You can then move that file to your PC or cloud storage and restore it if you have to perform a factory reset or replace your device. I'd imagine you could also setup an auto sync of that backup file to a cloud service if the service's App has a way to set that up. Below are some pics of the backup menu screens.

Screenshot_2013-09-23-09-59-28.jpg

Screenshot_2013-09-23-09-59-42.jpg

Screenshot_2013-09-23-10-00-23.jpg

mhunter6378

May 15, 2013
Visit site
Thanks JayWill

Just goes to show that you learn something everyday. All the times I been over the settings I have overlooked that each time. There's yet another way for me to backup my stuff, you can never be too careful and never have too many backups.

OhAlfie

Banned
Sep 30, 2012
Visit site
Ok..I took the plunge!

Best buy offer $50 to upgrade. LG is offering another $50. My S4 garnered $305. So I ended up with a $200 (almost) gift card in the end and I am now tinkering with the phone trying to get things set the way I like.

So far I like it, I like the various tweak setting it has etc. Nice phone for sure.

scorpiodsu

Jul 12, 2010
Visit site
I just switched from an S4 to the G2 and overall, I am satisfied. The display is better and the device feels more solid. It's much smoother than the S4 (as it lagged at times, especially the gallery) and battery life has been a lot better for me. I had a 32GB sd card on it so the only thing I refrained from loading on my phone was my home videos. But I have all my music and pictures with about 15GB of space left so I should be good there for a while. I will say, I still prefer the S4 camera. Not that it's much better but it focuses a lot quicker than the G2. But G2 sometimes take a couple secs in low lighting and if you move too much it needs to refocus so this could be annoying but when it does focus (not long in most cases) the pictures are great. Maybe a software update can improve that or I'm hoping they can improve it in the dev community like they did with the Nexus 4 camera. But overall I am satisfied and selling my S4 as we speak ;)

KenshoSC

Apr 19, 2010
Visit site
I cannot seem to find this option on the Verizon version. Anyone?

On the G2 itself is a function within the settings menu called LG backup. This can be used to create a backup file of your phone which is saved on your internal storage. You can then move that file to your PC or cloud storage and restore it if you have to perform a factory reset or replace your device. I'd imagine you could also setup an auto sync of that backup file to a cloud service if the service's App has a way to set that up. Below are some pics of the backup menu screens.

View attachment 82758

View attachment 82759

View attachment 82760

AMG_Roadster

May 19, 2013
Visit site
I am thinking about swapping my GS4 for the G2 this week. While the GS4 is a good phone there are somethings that bug me about it. I have eliminated most of the lag but the phone still leaves me wanting something more.

Are people still happy they switched? How is the dialer on the G2? Does it use touch tones or some BS sounds like the touchwiz dialer?

mhunter6378

May 15, 2013
Visit site
Yes very happy with this phone. The dialer, at least on the AT&T version, does make touch tone sounds. I qualify that statement because there are some software differences between the carrier versions, don't know if this is one or not. Anyway, great phone! You should be happy with the switch.

sergi40

Sep 29, 2013
Visit site
I'll offer you my thoughts based on what I have been through. I have had the GS3, GS4, GS4 Active, still have a HTC One DE and have had all the iPhones except the newest 5S. Yes I know, long story, I have commitment issues. Really it came down to trying to find THE phone that best suit my needs and offered the balance of features and hardware that I wanted. The G2 is the best for me. What may be best for you may be something entirely different. Am I happy with my choice of the G2, yes I am, very much.

I can relate to your issues with the SD card. I'm guessing that's why Google has gotten away from it although some manufactures continue to provide SD expansion as an option. I have found that the 32gb of internal storage to be plenty for me. I have in the past used much of that space but now rely mostly on cloud solutions for storage of my files (documents, pictures, videos and music) leaving the internal storage open for system files and apps.

In real world use I find the G2 and the native software enhancements to be very functional and a pleasure to use. Performance wise it is fantastic and the battery last a long time. I have no cons to report.

I have not used the LG software for PC. Like I said, I use cloud solutions for my files so I have no real need to connect to a computer. The G2 also has wireless sharing capability where you can connect to your PC wirelessly for file transfer over wifi. I have not used this function yet but I have seen reports by others where they have and liked it.

Good luck with your decision.
I just have a question does the G2 have an equivalent feature to S-beam? If so can it be compatible with a Samsung phone? I was looking foward to taking my friends entire music library from his S4.

JayWill

Jun 21, 2011
Visit site
I just have a question does the G2 have an equivalent feature to S-beam? If so can it be compatible with a Samsung phone? I was looking foward to taking my friends entire music library from his S4.

Yes it does. Its called Direct Beam on the G2. Not sure about compatibility.

Sent from my LG G2 via Tapatalk

NightToDay

Sep 20, 2013
Visit site
Ok..I took the plunge!

Best buy offer $50 to upgrade. LG is offering another $50. My S4 garnered $305. So I ended up with a $200 (almost) gift card in the end and I am now tinkering with the phone trying to get things set the way I like.

So far I like it, I like the various tweak setting it has etc. Nice phone for sure.

I know a week old, but I see best buy is offering a $50 gift card. Where is this LG is offering another $50? I would bite at 100 bucks total.

AMG_Roadster

May 19, 2013
Visit site
This weekend is the straw that broke the camels back where it comes to the GS4. I have had issues with data connectivity that almost made me miss an appointment. Then tonight I was sitting at a table and the phone from 4 bars to 1 and I was unable to get a data connection. Meanwhile my friend also on AT&T had no issues with his data connectivity.

Hoping to have a chance to swap phones tomorrow so I can spend the time to configure it before I have to travel.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
waterpig