LG Keyboard Smileys

TheSkipperCDB

Mar 25, 2011
Visit site
When using the LG keyboard, If I go to the symbols keyboard, then press the smiley face, I get a list of smileys. However, when I use these to send a text message or email, it looks like an actual image is sent (rather than the text ":)" like I would expect). Could someone explain or point me to an explanation of how these smileys actually work or what is actually going on behind the scenes? Thanks!

Bloodthirsty

Jul 12, 2010
Visit site
Yep, they don't send normally from what I can tell. I've had to resort to manually typing smilies which I really hate.

I have switched to swype but I don't think that changes anything.

Kris Nelson

Jul 27, 2013
Visit site
If the person you were sending the message to is also using android they will receive the pictured smiling face 😄, if not the will receive the texted : )

Posted via Android Central App

TheSkipperCDB

Mar 25, 2011
Visit site
Yep, they don't send normally from what I can tell. I've had to resort to manually typing smilies which I really hate.

I have switched to swype but I don't think that changes anything.

Fyi, in the stock messaging app, you can press menu, then insert smiley to insert a text smiley. Not much of a shortcut, but at least it is an option.

TheSkipperCDB

Mar 25, 2011
Visit site
If the person you were sending the message to is also using android they will receive the pictured smiling face 😄, if not the will receive the texted : )

Non Android users do not receive : ), but actually see the same smiley I selected from the keyboard 😄.

From your response, it look like it might have something to do with Unicode. If anyone has more information, I'd love to learn how this actually works.

Kris Nelson

Jul 27, 2013
Visit site
Non Android users do not receive : ), but actually see the same smiley I selected from the keyboard 😄.

From your response, it look like it might have something to do with Unicode. If anyone has more information, I'd love to learn how this actually works.

Oh really..because I was testing it out with my friends iphone and it k always came thru with the text...

TheSkipperCDB

Mar 25, 2011
Visit site
Oh really..because I was testing it out with my friends iphone and it k always came thru with the text...

Yes, really. I sent a text to an iPhone 5, and the same image that I selected from the keyboard was displayed on the iPhone.

I found my answer, in a nutshell these Smileys are Unicode characters (and using any of these characters changes the text message limit from 160 to 70). For the technically inclined, a good description of how text messages are encoded can be found here: Adventures in Unicode SMS

Last edited:

TheSkipperCDB

Mar 25, 2011
Visit site
Fyi, in the stock messaging app, you can press menu, then insert smiley to insert a text smiley. Not much of a shortcut, but at least it is an option.

I found a better option. Go to the symbols keyboard, then above the abc button, use the arrows to move to the second and third pages of keys. The last 2 keys on the second page and all of the third page are all old fashioned emoticons! :) Yay! :-D

hireegy

Jul 25, 2016
Visit site
I found a better option. Go to the symbols keyboard, then above the abc button, use the arrows to move to the second and third pages of keys. The last 2 keys on the second page and all of the third page are all old fashioned emoticons! :) Yay! :-D

Precisely (Precisely ! ) I just upgraded from lg g3 to lg g5 with all updates as of july 2016, and specifically, the text-based smileys of the third symbol pane of the lg (french or english, all the same) keyboard, are gone. Instead of the smileys, there are empty (greyed out) keys.

How the hell do I restore those text based smileys ? They were so convenient ! And that question is so specific google did not yet give me an answer here...

Anybody ?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MarcosVo