Okay, so I know there are other threads on a related topic, but I seem to be experiencing a somewhat different phenomenon than previously described, so I wanted to share in case anyone else has the same issue, and to pass on info I got today from the Verizon Wireless Store.

First, I have had a minor version of the "lock loop" issue described in other posts: that is, when I unlock the phone it immediately shuts down and locks again. It will usually only happen once or twice, but occasionally more often in a row.

But, I have another similar issue, as well: sometimes (and increasingly frequently) when I try to pull down the notification shade from the top of the screen, the display will shut down and lock the phone. I have been careful and assured that I am not inadvertently double tapping and that I am nowhere near the proximity sensor when this happens; I'm pulling down from the very middle of the display, right under the ear speaker.

The same thing will also happen sometimes when I try to move an app icon from one screen to another: the screen will just shut down and the phone will lock.

Another odd quirk I've experiences is that, sometimes when I try to unlock the phone (using a PIN, necessary due to work email on the phone), a single press of a number on the pad will result in it acting as if there have been multiple presses of that key: sometimes 5 or 6. When this starts I literally cannot get it to stop without shutting the phone down completely.

Finally, I've noticed that sometimes the screen brightness will adjust dimmer in a very "stuttery"/jerky manor, and for no apparent reason. That is, the ambient light has not changed, the battery is not low, etc.; I just pick up the phone to use and it will begin to dim.

I contacted Verizon online today (I bought it online) and they told me to take it to a local company store to be replaced, as I am within my 14 days (barely.) The CS rep researched the issue and said the "Locking Issue" is something they were aware of and that Verizon would be pushing out a firmware update to address this sometime in November of this year!

She gave me the option of coming back tomorrow with the box and exchanging for a new device, which I am - reluctantly - going to do. I'm bummed because I've already spent so much time downloading apps and customizing the phone, but I'd rather resolve it than wait to see if the November firmware update fixes the problem. Should look to see if there's an app to "image" my phone like my computer, I suppose.

In any event, I mostly wanted to share in case anyone else is experiencing this.

I don't know if any other carriers are planning on pushing a similar update, but know I've read on here that users with other carriers are experiencing the "lock loop" issue, which is why I posted here instead of in the VZW sub-forum, in case it would help someone else.

Good luck all. I still love this phone, but this is a bit frustrating. Guess it's the risk I run for buying it on day 1.
    09-24-2013 03:46 PM
    I have not had the lock issue yet but did recently switched to a different unlock method and it works great so far. I like the stock jelly bean unlocking screen and no issues.

Sent from my A500 using AC Forums mobile app
    09-24-2013 04:32 PM