LG G2: Touch Screen Issues?

Stephen Murray

May 7, 2014
Visit site
My LG G2 screen started giving me trouble 2 days ago.
1st, there was a delay in response to letters that I typed
2nd, double tap/knock knock/knock on stopped working to turn on the phone. It only works to turn it off.
I tried several of the online suggestions, none worked.
THIS IS WHAT I FOUND, go to;
Settings>Accessibility>Universal touch(on). When the Universal touch icon appears on the screen, drag it from top to bottom, left to right and diagonally. The icon should move smoothly over the entire screen. Wherever the icon jumps or skips any section of the screen that area is not working.

CJWilson2

May 15, 2014
Visit site
I am curious to see if anyone else has been having any touch screen issues such as it being too sensitive or not responding properly?

Every now and then my phone will go crazy. For example if I'm in a browser and I try to 1 finger scroll up or down i will have random zooming happen or a link gets selected. It just doesn't respond like you would expect it to almost as if it doesn't register your touch gesture correctly. Once it gets into one of these modes the problems persist until i turn off the screen and leave it be for a bit.

I upgraded my plan and now I am on a new phone lease with Sprint. I received my new phone at the end Jan and had to take it back because the screen went crazy first then stopped working all together by the end of March. I was told it could not be fixed. They replaced my phone (I thought it was new but found out it was refurbished) the end of April and 2 weeks later this phone is having the same problem and I have been told again it can not be fixed. You get the crazy screen and eventually it stops all together. I believe my problem is exactly like yours (except my screen has completely stopped working on both phones). I have a feeling this is a problem with the LG2G after reading the post. I tried to talk with LG but they also said they would also give me a refurbished phone and I would have to pay to send the phone to their factory. To add insult to injury I think Sprint replaced my phone with an older model but are charging me the leasing fees as if I have a new phone. Feeling very frustrated.

coinmanmat

Mar 14, 2012
Visit site
Well this is the touch screen issue that I am having, the entire screen is coming apart. I am getting a replacement G2 in a week though

Posted via Android Central App

Attachments

• 4978.jpg
    4978.jpg
    64.4 KB · Views: 28

Hunter Burnett

May 29, 2014
Visit site
Re: G2 Touch Screen Issues?

I have a theory! I'm testing it out now and 10 mins in no wonkiness. I recently got home with my newly replaced G2. Everything was fine for about 2 hours. I didn't want to theme it and do all this work if it was going to fail. Everything seemed a-ok so I went ahead and downloaded all my apps.

Rethemed it with Nova and used NOx icons and no more then 10 mins in the wonkiness began.

It then occurred to me that perhaps the issue is Nova so I decided to use the standard theme.

Its been about 10 or so mins of constant use and no wonkiness. I'm gonna keep it on stock theme and see what happens.

Sent from my LG-D801 using Tapatalk 4

Hunter Burnett

May 29, 2014
Visit site
I have a lg g2 model:vs980 4g by Verizon and my problem is part of my screen doesn't work or doesn't respond it's toward the top of the screen it not large but from side to side it doesn't recognize any touch movement
CAN YOU HELP PLEASE
THANK YOU

anon(5373819)

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
I have a lg g2 model:vs980 4g by Verizon and my problem is part of my screen doesn't work or doesn't respond it's toward the top of the screen it not large but from side to side it doesn't recognize any touch movement
CAN YOU HELP PLEASE
THANK YOU

Hate to say it but I think its warranty replacement time.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

jlmorris

Oct 12, 2013
Visit site
LG G2, VZW, KitKat 4.4.2, owned since October, 2013.

This issue just popped up for me this week. I suddenly noticed "phantom" touches happening and at the same time Knock-On stopped working (it was working pretty reliably up until this started). Knock-Off still works now, but not Knock-On. I have to hit the power button to activate the screen.

I activate the screen and if I try to unlock the screen by swiping up and to the left, no go. Then I just set it down and all of a sudden you can see the phantom touches happening in different spots on the screen. If I swipe straight down, down and right, down and left, no problems. It unlocks, but the phantom touches continue. Apps launch or I am in settings and if I manage to get the browser window open, it will start click links on it's own and scrolling, zooming.

I've managed to stop it by changing the Settings -> General -> Accessibility -> Touch Feedback time from short to medium. But Knock-On still does not work. Actually, it will probably come back, maybe it is stable for now and the fact that I changed this is just coincidence. I just changed it back and it is still working ok (except for the issues I mention besides phantom touches).

If I try the QuickMemo test, if I start at the top half of the screen and draw lines, it stops in the middle and won't pick anything up on the lower half of the screen. If I start anywhere in the bottom half, and draw lines, it stops in the middle and won't pick anything up on the top half of the screen.

I also tried the test by turning on Universal touch under General -> Accessibility, grabbing the icon that shows up and when I sweep it over the screen, I notice it jumps around the center and left of center, like that part of the screen is messed up.

What a bummer. I'll be out of the country for two weeks, but once I'm back, I think I'm going to chance it by taking it to a VZW store and see if they will replace it under warranty.

The phone works fine other than this, but I cannot help but wonder if this will get worse over time or if something else will go wrong.

Guinness8765309

Jun 12, 2014
Visit site
I have the exact same issue. I bought my phone full retail from a 3rd party. LG said I could send it into them for warranty but I would have to pay shipping, wait 10 days for them to diag + another 5 days to fix the issue + return shipping time. They also said they would only cover it if it was a factory or manufacturer defect. The fact I am seeing people who have the very same issue I don't see how this could be anything but a defect. However, I can also see LG trying to get out of doing any kind of warranty repair. To make things worse LG said they would only swap it out with a refurbished phone which is probably going to be older than the one I already have.

My question is:
Has anyone exercised the LG warranty on this issue with any success?

jeffreynothing43

Jan 21, 2011
Visit site
This exact issue has happened with mine as well. That screenshot above, that area went dead on my phone and kk doesn't work anymore. I can access anything on the UI that is inline with that dead spot on the screen. Now I get phantom touches. This is my 3rd G2. I think they are borked in general unfortunately.

Kennyp5

Jul 3, 2014
Visit site
My Verizon LG G2 started doing this a few weeks ago with the progression.
First: the tap on feature quit working
Second: Touch screen less responsive and "hardware protected mode" display apprears. Portion of the screen not responsive just as the screen shot examples provided by others using quick note.
Third: Display is wonky and the phone is barely usable. Going in and out of apps without me touching the phone.

AdamantForce

Sep 13, 2013
Visit site
Slowly but surely my touchscreen is having issues. First the tap on feature quit working, now I cant pull down the status bar. When I restart the phone it wants to go into "hardware protected mode"???
This is what quicknote did (when I could still access it...dont know how other than pulling the bar down)
View attachment 111080

That's the exact same location of my dead zone. I hate it because you cant make purchases in the google play store unless you turn the phone upside down. -.-
Im going to try to patch the phone to give the apps it uses the impression that its running at a lower DPI and see if that changes anything. I hope it does. Because this thread is looking very damned grim.
Mine is a Black Sprint G2 running 4.4.2 , with many kernel enhancements, and UI modifications.

mcerwing

Dec 20, 2011
Visit site
So... I have been having the same issue for the past few months. Dead band near the top of the screen, and knock on wasn't working. Four days ago, I noticed that the problem had disappeared. I even went into notepad to check, and there were no dead zones. Nothing on the phone was changed, still had the same apps and everything. Knock on is even working just as it did when the phone was new. I'm going to see how long this lasts, but for now everything is working again. Makes me wonder if it is hardware or software related....

Joshua Siley-Waters

Jun 27, 2014
Visit site

Symptoms:screen flips between pages; random taps; using quickpad-moving finger up and down screen, random gaps occur; hardware malfunction; knock-on not working, status bar not sliding down
Solution: after storing all files on my hard drive and doing a hard reset, all the symptoms were still present; thus I went to Verizon Wireless to ask for a replacement. After the representative took out the sim card, the phone started behaving normally. Knock-on works, quickpad test passed, status bar moves intelligently, and the random taps no longer occur.

I find it strange for the sim card to be the issue, but taking it out amongst other things worked for me.

fonger13

Sep 23, 2013
Visit site
So... I have been having the same issue for the past few months. Dead band near the top of the screen, and knock on wasn't working. Four days ago, I noticed that the problem had disappeared. I even went into notepad to check, and there were no dead zones. Nothing on the phone was changed, still had the same apps and everything. Knock on is even working just as it did when the phone was new. I'm going to see how long this lasts, but for now everything is working again. Makes me wonder if it is hardware or software related....

I hope it's software related, I had the same issue on both my wife and my own G2, knock on stop working (knock off was fine) and a portion of the screen does not response to touch(exact location as the picture posted a few posts up). I ended up taking it in for warranty replacement, I'm worried that I'll have to deal with this once the warranty period is over. Hopefully it is a software issue. Keep us posted if the problem come back.

Last edited:

boogieman10

Jul 22, 2014
Visit site
I am curious to see if anyone else has been having any touch screen issues such as it being too sensitive or not responding properly?

Every now and then my phone will go crazy. For example if I'm in a browser and I try to 1 finger scroll up or down i will have random zooming happen or a link gets selected. It just doesn't respond like you would expect it to almost as if it doesn't register your touch gesture correctly. Once it gets into one of these modes the problems persist until i turn off the screen and leave it be for a bit.

gwsmallwood

Apr 28, 2014
Visit site
I've been having the ghost screen press issue. No dead spots that I can find. I had a second-hand G2 for 6 months that never had any issues. Then I dropped it and broke the screen.

I went a bought a replacement G2 from T-Mobile last Monday. This Sunday night / Monday morning is when I started noticing these phantom screen press issues. It happened after installing a dual layer case. Not sure if that is coincidence or if the additional heat can trigger the issue. I removed the case and the problem didn't go away. I used my old G2 for about 2 weeks with a similar case and never saw this. I tried every "fix" that was mentioned in this thread except for a complete battery drain and factory reset, because nobody seemed to report either of those being a permanent fix. I did notice that the problem didn't really show up when the phone was on a charger, and it seemed to get worse as the battery drained. Not sure if that was coincidence or not. I was actually able to capture quick memos of the screen drawing dots and lines across one perfectly straight portion of the screen, like it was one horizontal row of the digitizer that was having an issue. It was also in the same general area that many people reported the dead spots in their phones, like the ones above.

I went in to T-Mobile today and the manager said he had the same problem with his first G2. He replaced it and never saw the problem on the new one. He said it has to do with the digitizer and screen being one unit in these phones, but wasn't sure what the actual problem was. They replaced mine as I was within my 14-day window. If you don't see any updates or any new information from me, then it means the new phone hasn't had the issue.

kit76kat

Jul 6, 2014
Visit site

Did any one figure out any solution of "LCD appears to be damaged" and "Hardware Key Control Mode" yet? Mine also started showing the same error message. Knock on code does not work but Knock off code works. Phone is 4 months old. It seems like it is relatively common issue with LG G2. I Would appreciate your information in this regard.

MarcOcraM

Aug 22, 2014
Visit site

Hi all guys

I'm experiencing almost the same touch issue on my LG G2 (Android version 4.4.2, SW D80220f-EUR-XX)

Effects:
- ghost touches: they seem to be all from the upper side of my screen, opening apps or moving up and down bar or flickering from a window to another
- block screen: in worst situations, no touchs are effective on screen, only front touch buttons always work
- knock knock: it always works to block, it only sometimes works to unblock
- drag to answer a call: it works bad and sometimes I'm not able to answer at all. It happens expecially when trying to answer through cover little window

All this started after about three month after getting the phone, and it is getting worse. Now it is quite unusable, and also little danger since it sometimes opens links or maybe activates data connection (all these buttons are in the upper side where ghost touches happen)

What I tried till now:
- stop all background apps (battery doctor, avast...)
- remove screen protector
- remove LG G2 cover
- factory reset from SW
- remove sim card

All these with no improvements...Last I can try is an hard reset, but following indications got around the web I'm not able to do

Hope I was useful and maybe check together for some solution

Last edited:

kit7kat

Jul 20, 2014
Visit site

Just want to update my LG G2 "LCD appears to be damaged" and Hardware Key Control Mode" issues. Took it to Verizon store (because phone was under warranty) and Verizon CS representative said repair does not cover under warranty despite the phone had no external scratch let alone damage. Called to Verizon corporate, and they said they will send me another phone (refurbished) and if their tech found it was customer's misuse (which most often the case, did a little bit of google to find out myself), they will charge me $300. I declined Verizon offer and send it to LG thinking even if LG decided it was my fault, they will charge me $150 for screen replacement (half cheaper than Verizon). Well, I got my phone back with new LCD on it under warranty and working nicely (2 days so far). LG did not even contact me for any question. I just got my phone after 14 days total (from my shipping date). As you can imagine, I am very disappointed with Verizon but no complaints to LG. Hope this will help.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laila Nance