Is Slide Aside A Gimmick?

streetkilln

Apr 20, 2012
Visit site
to me personally i dont see the difference between the integrated android multitasking feature (holding down home) or the lg slide aside feature. i find it easier to just use the android version.

TrekkieMonster

Sep 2, 2013
Visit site
Yeah, I have to agree. I love nearly every other feature of this phone, but I find Slide Aside completely useless. The required three-finger action is just too awkward and cumbersome compared to simply long pressing on the home key, IMHO. Was an interesting idea, I guess, just doesn't do much for me in practice.

tp2386

Apr 2, 2010
Visit site
It depends on what you use it for. I only keep whatsapp on slide aside. It's so easy to just slide my 3 fingers over than hold the home button and tap. I use my pointer, middle, and thumb by the way. I've seen vids of people using their first 3 fingers. I find that really awkward.

Mobius360

Aug 26, 2010
Visit site
I'm sure there's a difference in the way it's storing the app info or something but I've found using the home key preferred, possible because I'm used to it from my Nexus 4 and Xoom. I turned off slide aside in the options menu.

Jyscal

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
I did too. I can't find a use for Slide Aside for me. I wish there was a way to make the three finger gesture to move between apps like the iPad does with their 4 figure gesture.

Sent from my LG-D800 using Tapatalk 4

VideoEngineerAJS

Jan 6, 2011
Visit site
I haven't had a use for it yet, but I remember the day that I got the phone I was doing something in one app and tried to go to another app (before I knew slide aside even existed) and then I went back to the original app and all of the stuff I did in that app was gone even though I used the built in multitasker. So it may depend on the app.

The_PLBs

Jul 2, 2012
Visit site
If they could make it with a single finger at the lower end of the screen so I could use my thumb to slide them in and out I would use it constantly. Or maybe a single hold and swipe, anything other than the three fingers.

Posted via Android Central App

dontlookatme

Oct 8, 2011
Visit site
i havent used it as much, but i see it very useful on certain apps that i would like to recover wuickly. i just dont like the notification on top, letting me know i have happs swiped to the side.

TheSkipperCDB

Mar 25, 2011
Visit site
I believe the list of apps shown when holding down the home button is the recently used apps, not currently running apps. In a nutshell, when an app is not being used Android could close the app to regain the resources. With 2GB of RAM, that probably won't happen too often if you switch between apps quickly, but technically it could.

The Slide Aside feature might ensure the app stays on memory. I don't know if out actually does that, but of it did that would be one way i could see it being useful.

I thought Slide Aside sounded really cool when i first heard about it, but to be honest I've never used it after the first day with the phone. The recently used apps list works good enough (and easier) for me.

GPilot650

Nov 25, 2009
Visit site
I've started using it to slide aside my phone call and accomplish something like referring to an email. I'm slowly finding more and more uses for it. Easier than going back into task manager or up to notifications. I believe many of us have simply gotten so used to Android, that the minor improvements aren't as glamorous as they used to be.

-g-

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kirk781