Trying out stock launcher again

Mobius360

Aug 26, 2010
Visit site
So I changed my G2 pretty much the day I got it to run Nova Prime launcher. As has been mentioned with the G2 running a 3rd party launcher means you not only gain some functionality but you also lose some.

So the things you lose are not that big of a deal, you lose the transparent notification and onscreen button bars, and knock-off has to be done in the notification bar vs anywhere on the screen. You also can't hide app labels or change the folders to any different styles.

You can however install themes. Why the G2 only comes with 2 pre-installed is beyond me but there is some pretty good themes available. Another thing I can't understand LG doing is using your own wallpaper leads to a light blue transparent notification bar (why LG why).

So anyway I was happily using my G2 with Nova Prime, wallpapers I want, icons I want etc.... I like to tinker though and wanted to see the G2 out of the box experience a little more closely.

So I settled on a Miui theme & one of the stock LG wallpapers. After taking some time to setup a few folders, add the flashlight widget, Google now widget, and gallery widget (I have kids and I enjoy the quick access to their photo album) I'm actually really happy with the stock launcher and have removed Nova and icon packs from my phone. I switched my quick memo button to the drop down button (Nova allows a Swype down anywhere on screen to pull it down vs LG you have to reach all the way to the bar).

I never thought I'd be happy with a non Nexus phone again but I've been proven wrong.

Here are a few pictures of my home screens.

8e7ase3a.jpg

puve2ypa.jpg

sy9urama.jpg

Mobius360

Aug 26, 2010
Visit site
See Videoengineerajs why did LG have to add the notification bar when you use your own picture. One of those design decisions that makes no sense to me.

Tp2386 yes every theme I have tried have their own unique set of icons including the app drawer one.

gummyjelly

Sep 26, 2012
Visit site
I am waiting on my lg g2 to get here (Monday hopefully) can I change my icons to the iOS 7? That's how I have it now. I am using nova and I love it. I am going to try the stock launcher first though.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Android Central Forums

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1381636779974.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1381636779974.jpg
    53.1 KB · Views: 278

monil11

Oct 14, 2013
Visit site
I have tried downloading themes. But as it turns out they are not compatible with the stock lg g2 launcher. I download themes, go to settings, display, home screen and themes. All I can see is the two themes that it came with. How do u get your theme to work with the stock g2 launcher? And also, is there a way to find themes that specifically with G2 launcher??

Mobius360

Aug 26, 2010
Visit site
I have tried downloading themes. But as it turns out they are not compatible with the stock lg g2 launcher. I download themes, go to settings, display, home screen and themes. All I can see is the two themes that it came with. How do u get your theme to work with the stock g2 launcher? And also, is there a way to find themes that specifically with G2 launcher??

View my post above, all the themes in that thread at XDA work with the G2 that I've tried. Download, install the apk and then got to select themes and your done.

Posted via G2 Android Central App

Mike Gonzales

Jan 19, 2013
Visit site
I tried out the the stock launcher after initially reading your original post. I love that stock launcher will get me the transparent dock and knock off from anywhere on the screen. But, I ended up going back to Apex since I'm more into the apex features that allow me to set up gestures, swipe up opens chrome and swipe down opens app drawer. This is basic functionality for me now after having this set up for more than a year now. Also, I really hate having the app names included on the homescreen, seems so dated to have that text in there and looks a little cluttered. Other than these 3 things, the stock launcher is great. I think its credit to LG that this is the first stock launcher I've been tempted to use... and I'm still looking for apps that might help incorporate the swipe features into LG launcher.

bova80

Sep 2, 2013
Visit site
I tried out Apex and Nova and couldn't get the widgets I like to use ie(calendar, stock weather and some other ones) to work.

Mike Gonzales

Jan 19, 2013
Visit site
Thank you! so simple, could have sworn I tried to add more apps to the dock when I first got the phone... it works. Now I just need to break the habit of swiping to pull up the app drawer and chrome.

tp2386

Apr 2, 2010
Visit site
I went with nova and now i'm back to stock and i'm staying. I have the perfect setup now. I rooted and removed the software keys and downloaded lmt pie launcher. I also downloaded an app called appsi that gives my phone this side bar when I swipe. I'm coming from a Blackberry Z10 (I know, I know). I loved swiping through the OS but I couldn't stand much of anything else, so I made my G2 as swipy as possible. :)

Screenshot_2013-10-15-08-31-53.jpg

lmt pie launcher comes up when I swipe up from the lg logo as seen below

Screenshot_2013-10-15-08-32-27.jpg

Pic of appsi side launcher when I swipe from right to left.

Screenshot_2013-10-15-08-32-52.jpg

gummyjelly

Sep 26, 2012
Visit site
I actually like the stock launcher! I love the marshmallow theme. I do miss having more then one dock but no biggeie I only had one more. Wish I could change how my folders look too. I had really went to nova with the galaxy s4 to make it faster. With the LG G2 we don't need a launcher to make it faster. I would go back tho if the home button/back button and menu button would be transparent on nova, since I can change more with nova. I will take a screen shot and post :)

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chelsea rae