kit kat upgrade

digitard

Jul 31, 2013
Visit site
Root
Recovery
ROM

Wait...

With the G2 base of the Nexus it's only a matter of time before someone builds a nice ROM from a system dump. Then you can enjoy until the official comes out.

LG seems to be pushing this phone. I've never seen LG commercials and I see LG G2 ones on TV all the time now. They seem to be trying to push for the power crowd, and I'm sure they know the way to do that is to make sure they're behind updates.

Until then it's anyones guess... but you'll have options.

Martin Golder

Oct 28, 2013
Visit site
This is my first LG and I don't really care for Kit Kat but if it's not released or I have to wait 2+ months I will never buy another LG.

Dramatic, yes but also a company needs to stand behind their product, really show some love.

You don't care about KitKat, yet if you don't get it within 2 months you'll never buy another LG device?

Why, if you don't care about it?

Sent from my LG-D802 using Tapatalk

bembol

Trusted Member
Jun 18, 2011
Visit site
You don't care about KitKat, yet if you don't get it within 2 months you'll never buy another LG device?

Why, if you don't care about it?

Sent from my LG-D802 using Tapatalk

I mentioned it on the quote.

It's a matter of principle for LG to upgrade their product.

Oct 4, 2013
Visit site

After my experience with Motorola first promising an OS upgrade for my Photon, and then backing down on it, I don't have the highest expectations - if I get an upgrade on my G2 to Kit Kat, I will be grateful. If I really wanted Kit Kat right away (or even "ever"), I'd have waited for a Nexus 5. As it is, I am expectantly awaiting the arrival of my G2 (Sprint, via Best Buy).

Xtremeyouth1

Oct 28, 2010
Visit site
If they are going to update, it will be 4.4. There is no point in going to 4.3 when the major changes are more than likely going to be in 4.4 and LG has first access to 4.4.

Agreed. Dont worry about 4.3. Its 4.4 you want which they have already been working with. This will say a lot about how serious LG is since upgrades are a big deal to the Android community. If they are serious about being a major player we will see this update. The door is open for them to challenge Samsung if they get their marketing right.

VideoEngineerAJS

Jan 6, 2011
Visit site
Agreed. Dont worry about 4.3. Its 4.4 you want which they have already been working with. This will say a lot about how serious LG is since upgrades are a big deal to the Android community. If they are serious about being a major player we will see this update. The door is open for them to challenge Samsung if they get their marketing right.

No doubt and I think LG is serious about it. I think they see HTC struggling and people wanting an alternative to Samsung. LG has done a lot of things right so far and I don't see how they could possibly drop the ball on this. As I said in my previous mini-rant post we don't know what will happen until it happens as none of us are inside LG so I could be wrong and they could drop the ball, but so far they seem to be heading in the right direction.

Xtremeyouth1

Oct 28, 2010
Visit site
No doubt and I think LG is serious about it. I think they see HTC struggling and people wanting an alternative to Samsung. LG has done a lot of things right so far and I don't see how they could possibly drop the ball on this. As I said in my previous mini-rant post we don't know what will happen until it happens as none of us are inside LG so I could be wrong and they could drop the ball, but so far they seem to be heading in the right direction.

Again, I completely agree with you. Samsung has way to much power in the Android world and a healthy HTC and LG is good for the consumer. I just wish they both marketed more, they both have several great features that neither one of them seem to put forward in their marketing and it makes no sense to me.

Just_Some_Nobody

Oct 4, 2011
Visit site
I mentioned it on the quote.

It's a matter of principle for LG to upgrade their product.

You don't buy a device for what you hope it will do at some point. You buy a device for what it can do today.

A matter of principle? Really?
Hubris.

Posted via Android Central App using an LG G2.

avenuePad

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
Sure, you buy a phone for what it can do today, but there is also an expectation of future support. That said, if future software updates are a concern then don't buy anything than a Nexus.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using AC Forums mobile app

Just_Some_Nobody

Oct 4, 2011
Visit site
Sure, you buy a phone for what it can do today, but there is also an expectation of future support. That said, if future software updates are a concern then don't buy anything than a Nexus.

Getting support and getting a whole new OS are two different things.

I buy a computer with windows 7, I don't get free upgrades to all subsequent versions.

But, yeah, I expect bug fixes. Everything beyond that is an entitlement mindset.

avenuePad

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
I hear ya. There is a difference, but I don't think it's a sense of entitlement to expect OEMs not to move on completely from your $600/700 phone once they release their next big thing. The good thing is, it looks like companies are getting much better at pushing out updates. Also, Google seems to be taking things into their own hand with Google Play Services.

Just_Some_Nobody

Oct 4, 2011
Visit site
I hear ya. There is a difference, but I don't think it's a sense of entitlement to expect OEMs not to move on completely from your $600/700 phone once they release their next big thing. The good thing is, it looks like companies are getting much better at pushing out updates. Also, Google seems to be taking things into their own hand with Google Play Services.

Yeah, I'm glad Google is moving as much as they can into Google Play Services. That way bug fixes can come much more quickly.

Alec Burton

Oct 31, 2013
Visit site
After my experience with Motorola first promising an OS upgrade for my Photon, and then backing down on it, I don't have the highest expectations - if I get an upgrade on my G2 to Kit Kat, I will be grateful. If I really wanted Kit Kat right away (or even "ever"), I'd have waited for a Nexus 5. As it is, I am expectantly awaiting the arrival of my G2 (Sprint, via Best Buy).

Same thing happened to me. This being the case I will never buy another Motorola phone again.

anon(826501)

Jun 21, 2012
Visit site
I honestly can't get over all of the entitlement mentality in this thread. Samsung used to be the worst of the worst in regards to updates and now they are one of the better ones in that regard. As I said in multiple threads, LG appears to literally be following in Samsung's footsteps (minus having to deal with bloated legacy code in their UI) which is a good thing. Also, as stated in other threads, there appears to be official LG documents that state that Google and LG are working closely together to get updates to their non-Nexus phones out quicker than any other manufacturer in history.

So you cannot just flippantly say that "LG had no intentions of upgrading to 4.4". What is with the word had? Kit Kat isn't even out. The Nexus 5 isn't even out so how can people be so flippant and judgemental when there isn't even anything to upgrade to yet? Also, delays cannot always be blamed on the manufacturer. For all we know LG may already have 4.4 ready for the G2 and they may just have to wait a month or so to give the Nexus 5 time to sell and then on top of that you have the carriers that need to test the update.

That being said, unless you are on the LG mobile development or management team you have absolutely no insight whatsoever as to what the plans are. And if you think you "know" LG, just remember that the so called best Android manufacturer was in the exact same boat just 2 short iterations ago.

Congratulations, you are right. I really appreciate your opinion here.

Sent from my LG-D800 using Tapatalk