some questions regarding the G2 (at&t)

1. why does gpy turn on by itself? i have everything related to location off.
    2. why is it when i ext a picture it gets so compressed it look horrible? this doesnt happen on any of my other phones
    3. why is the viefinder/camera a piece of crap in mid/low light and why is every damn pic so noisey
    4.im new to android, should i root my G2 and if so what is so great about rooting?
    5.if i dont do anything on the phone other than use it strictly as a phone it could last days but if i check facebook/ or play a game like candy crush my battery melts away.
    6.uhh i think thats it
    10-14-2013 06:07 PM
    some questions regarding the G2 (at&t)

GPS is turning on because of a bug with the implementation of Carrier IQ. Go into Android System and stop it (have to do this each time you reboot). Or you can root and use an App like System Tuner to disable the Carrier IQ services.

2. why is it when i ext a picture it gets so compressed it look horrible? this doesnt happen on any of my other phones

Stock text messaging Apps are notorious for compressing images to reduce data usage (usually at the Carrier's request). You can use a 3rd party SMS App like Handcent or Textra to reduce or eliminate compression.

3. why is the viefinder/camera a piece of crap in mid/low light and why is every damn pic so noisey

Yes the viewfinder can be a bit slow/grainy in low/mid light. I find it takes excellent pictures though. We are talking about a phone camera after all. Still, the camera on this phone has repeatedly been reviewed as one of the best available right now.

4.im new to android, should i root my G2 and if so what is so great about rooting?

Simple answer, more control over your device if you want it. The biggest immediate benefit is being able to disable Carrier IQ on the AT&T version since they didn't give us an option to opt out and as in your first question, it can cause GPS to turn on by itself and runs unwanted services that use battery life.

5.if i dont do anything on the phone other than use it strictly as a phone it could last days but if i check facebook/ or play a game like candy crush my battery melts away.

Facebook and Candy Crush are notorious battery drainers. Candy Crush is actually a good benchmark to find out just how good a battery is.
    Jastow likes this.
    10-14-2013 06:53 PM

GPS is turning on because of a bug with the implementation of Carrier IQ. Go into Android System and stop it (have to do this each time you reboot). Or you can root and use an App like System Tuner to disable the Carrier IQ services.

Stock text messaging Apps are notorious for compressing images to reduce data usage (usually at the Carrier's request). You can use a 3rd party SMS App like Handcent or Textra to reduce or eliminate compression.

Yes the viewfinder can be a bit slow/grainy in low/mid light. I find it takes excellent pictures though. We are talking about a phone camera after all. Still, the camera on this phone has repeatedly been reviewed as one of the best available right now.

Simple answer, more control over your device if you want it. The biggest immediate benefit is being able to disable Carrier IQ on the AT&T version since they didn't give us an option to opt out and as in your first question, it can cause GPS to turn on by itself and runs unwanted services that use battery life.

Facebook and Candy Crush are notorious battery drainers. Candy Crush is actually a good benchmark to find out just how good a battery is.
    It also compresses any edit you make to a picture using stock gallery even if I don't want to text it. Why on earth does it do this and I shouldn't need to use a 3rd party photo edit app to do simply adjustments to keep in my own gallery

Sent from my LG-D800 using AC Forums mobile app
    10-15-2013 09:47 PM
    I am on my phone all day at work and when I get home after a 10 hour shift I have about 50% left

Sent from my LG-D800 using AC Forums mobile app
    10-16-2013 04:02 AM