LG G2 - How do I disable stock text message app?

OhAlfie

Sep 30, 2012
Visit site
I swear at one time I was able to hit the "Disable" button for the stock text message app, but now when I go into "APPS"/ Messaging, the "Disable" button is grayed out. I want it to stay disable because it interferes with the Chomp SMS app I opted to use now. Every time someone texts me, the stock app AND the Chomp app pop up notifications on the screen.

OhAlfie

Sep 30, 2012
Visit site
Re: How do I disable stock text message app?

What does "fire back up" mean? Do you get a notification from the stock program?

Anyhow, this won't be too helpful, but it looks like 4.4 will address this problem.

Android 4.4 KitKat will let you choose your own default texting app | The Verge

Correct. I tell the app to "Force Stop". Then someone texts me, then bam I get the Chomp pop up AND the stock pop up. When I go back into the stock app, the "Force Stop" is lit up again because it's "running" again. I just want to be able to get teh "Disable" button back so I can disable this stubborn POS.

steve daniels

Oct 2, 2013
Visit site

Did you turn off the "Notifications", "New message pop-up", and "Preview" options under the Notification settings in the stock app?

OhAlfie

Sep 30, 2012
Visit site

Did you turn off the "Notifications", "New message pop-up", and "Preview" options under the Notification settings in the stock app?

Yes, I killed EVERYTHING I could find, yet it comes back when a new text arrives.

steve daniels

Oct 2, 2013
Visit site

What about the "LAUNCH BY DEFAULT" section in the Messaging app in Application Manager/All? Did you click Clear defaults?

gummyjelly

Sep 26, 2012
Visit site

I turned off the notifications and that did the trick. I also use chomp. That's strange it keeps showing up for you. Did you try and restart? If it keeps on I would do a master reset.

Evgenibir

Nov 2, 2013
www.facebook.com

Just tried it myself, turn the notification in the settling inside the app and then turn them off at Settenings - general - apps - all - messager, restarted my phone as well and it's still disabled, btw Chop SMS is the best app there is, good luck

Sent from my LG-D802

sblair1269

Jun 28, 2012
Visit site

must be something different for sprint. when i go in to apps/all then messenger, i dont get an option to turn off notifications. just force stop. and disable. i see the check mark but cant uncheck it!

sblair1269

Jun 28, 2012
Visit site

the "disable" tab is darkened. if i could enable it then i think i could click off the tick mark for notifications. just dont know how to make that happen.

RobotHeaven

Nov 29, 2013
Visit site
I don't think the messenger app can be disabled in any android because (from what i've heard) it's the backend for 3rd party messenger apps. If you disable it, chomp and handcent etc wouldn't work either.

If you've disabled notifications in stock messenger app then i can't think why you should still be getting them. I'm using chomp too and i have my notifications switched off in stock, so i'm only getting notifications from chomp.
I guess it must be network related

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CrisBowles513