LTE Data and Voice same time?

sljohnson84

Apr 12, 2011
Visit site
I can do this on my Note 2..Did you read the full post? While on LTEEEEEEE

Must've missed that post about the Note 2. My bad, but yes, I did say "just about all" their phones do not allow. I knew there were one or two exceptions but I couldn't remember which phones allow that.

So let me know either way, I guess, what you find out.

anon(98566)

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
Sprint actually had SVDO & SVLTE on several of their phones, including the Note 2, Galaxy S2 [SV-Wimax?] and Galaxy S3. Newer phones that are tri-band compatible don't have the ability to run data and voice at the same time, unless you are on wi-fi. I have read that it has something do with the Qualcomm radios that run all three bands. Supposedly, none of the "Spark" compatible phones (G2, Nexus 5, S4) will support it either.

When I found out, it was almost a deal breaker on the G2. Then I found out all the newest phones have the same problem, so I stuck with my G2 anyway.

mahootzki

Jan 23, 2011
Visit site
My S3 can, I got the Nexus 5, but If I can't have both working at the same time, I will send it back. It's a real dealbreaker imo.

Send from Brooklyn NY using a Galaxy S III

thecycleoflife

Aug 28, 2013
Visit site
My G2 is thru Verizon and didn't think it was possible, but after seeing this thread I had to try it out for myself. On Verizon, I can be on a phone call and surf the web (using 4G LTE) at the same time.

Sorry it doesn't answer the question regarding the Sprint G2 but thanks for posing the question or else I would have never known.

Sent from my VS980 4G using AC Forums mobile app

weknsmith

Aug 9, 2011
Visit site
My S3 can, I got the Nexus 5, but If I can't have both working at the same time, I will send it back. It's a real dealbreaker imo.

Send from Brooklyn NY using a Galaxy S III

The latest generation devices that support tri-band will not support SVDO or SVLTE.

I'm upgrade eligible, but I'm sticking with my S3 until they offer something that supports tri-band & SVLTE. I had been looking at the Nexus 5 & G2 but will have to wait. My hope is that the re-released S4 will somehow keep SVLTE while be a Sprint Spark compatible device.

anon(98566)

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
Anyone in a Sprint LTE market able to confirm this? Simultaneous voice and LTE data?

Sent from LG G2
No simultaneous voice and data. I have checked in the three active LTE areas in Utah that I have been in (North Salt Lake, Tooele, and Spanish Fork). No voice and data at the same time. Others in actual live Sprint LTE markets have confirmed for me as well via Google+ that voice and data cannot run at the same time. Sad day.

Go Cougars! (just kidding...I hate BYU...but I also hate the U...just slightly less than BYU)

Mikey47

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
Anyone in a Sprint LTE market able to confirm this? Simultaneous voice and LTE data?

Sent from LG G2

It is a physical impossibility with these two phones. There is a single radio that handles voice and data. That is how they are getting such high battery life.

Saw on S4GRU that this is a deliberate design decision on Sprint's part. Three bands LTE and amazing battery life, or single band and not so great battery life.

musclehead84

Oct 24, 2010
Visit site
I can also confirm the simultaneous voice and data do not work. It used to on the note 2 and s3 but the new triband devices with the single radio do not allow this. When on lte and a call comes in the phone has to disconnect from lte in order to take the call.

Sent from my SPH-L900 using AC Forums mobile app

slideways

May 18, 2010
Visit site
Just to ease some concern about this, at least it was my biggest concern, if you are using GPS and take a phone call, GPS will still tell you turn by turn directions. I was really worried about that, due to job but this past week proved that GPS still functions while on a call.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RandyRoyalty