Syncing

bad43085

Nov 13, 2013
Visit site
Does anyone know how to selectively auto-sync certain apps? In an effort to improve what I feel to be less than expected battery life, I turned OFF auto-syncing. I would like at least the weather app on the home screen to auto sync, however. When I go into the app's settings to turn that feature on, it prompts me to turn on a blanket auto-sync. Then I got bombarded with the email notices that I don't to be pushed through.

Thanks!

Just_Some_Nobody

Oct 4, 2011
Visit site
Does anyone know how to selectively auto-sync certain apps? In an effort to improve what I feel to be less than expected battery life, I turned OFF auto-syncing. I would like at least the weather app on the home screen to auto sync, however. When I go into the app's settings to turn that feature on, it prompts me to turn on a blanket auto-sync. Then I got bombarded with the email notices that I don't to be pushed through.

Thanks!

You can do it for certain Google apps in your Account settings. (Settings->General->Accounts & sync).
One big one I always turn off in there is Browser sync. It means you won't get your browser data synced (bookmarks), but it's a battery suck on the several Android phones I have used.

bad43085

Nov 13, 2013
Visit site
Thanks. I don't see Browser Sync under that chain in my phone. Oh well. I may take it into AT&T and get a run down of this system. It's my first exposure to Android, so I really don't know what I'm doing. Just feels like I'm clicking and reversing random things. Not sure why I should need to stop, delete, and turn certain things off right out of the box to get the battery life when I was anticipating.

Just_Some_Nobody

Oct 4, 2011
Visit site
Thanks. I don't see Browser Sync under that chain in my phone. Oh well. I may take it into AT&T and get a run down of this system. It's my first exposure to Android, so I really don't know what I'm doing. Just feels like I'm clicking and reversing random things. Not sure why I should need to stop, delete, and turn certain things off right out of the box to get the battery life when I was anticipating.

Because, while Android itself is a great and stable OS, the carriers take it upon themselves to load it up with lots of stuff people don't really want to use (and in a lot of cases, these apps are poorly written). They do this to hopefully get you to use their services. Apple has put themselves in a great advantage when it comes to negotiating with the carriers to keep this 'bloatware' off the iPhone. Other OEMs have not done this.

It's a sad reality of the Android ecosystem.

bad43085

Nov 13, 2013
Visit site
Because, while Android itself is a great and stable OS, the carriers take it upon themselves to load it up with lots of stuff people don't really want to use (and in a lot of cases, these apps are poorly written). They do this to hopefully get you to use their services. Apple has put themselves in a great advantage when it comes to negotiating with the carriers to keep this 'bloatware' off the iPhone. Other OEMs have not done this.

It's a sad reality of the Android ecosystem.

Makes sense as to this sudden change after making the switch from Apple to Android. So can I delete all the AT&T Nav, Smart Wifi, Hotspot, messages, etc, stuff?

Just_Some_Nobody

Oct 4, 2011
Visit site
Makes sense as to this sudden change after making the switch from Apple to Android. So can I delete all the AT&T Nav, Smart Wifi, Hotspot, messages, etc, stuff?

Sure. Or disable it. Some items cannot be deleted, so must be disabled one by one.
Of course, make sure none of it is useful to you. I was generalizing when I said people don't want it.

To disable an app:
Go to System->General->Apps->All and click the app.

tsells

Jul 8, 2012
Visit site

I have disabled Amazon Kindle, ATT Code Scanner, ATT Drive Mode, ATT Family Map, ATT Locker, ATT Messages, ATT Navigator, ATT Ready2Go, ATT Smart Wifi, Featured Apps, My ATT, VuTalk, YPMobile. There is no negative effect at all. (And these do not re-start after a reboot.)

bad43085

Nov 13, 2013
Visit site
I have disabled Amazon Kindle, ATT Code Scanner, ATT Drive Mode, ATT Family Map, ATT Locker, ATT Messages, ATT Navigator, ATT Ready2Go, ATT Smart Wifi, Featured Apps, My ATT, VuTalk, YPMobile. There is no negative effect at all. (And these do not re-start after a reboot.)

Thanks!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chelsea rae