Do you reccomend the G2 over the S4?

bespinct

Apr 24, 2010
Visit site
this is purely preference question...I'd go in a shop and check them out in hand

I've been guilty of saying this same thing before. But I think that doesn't give our forum members the credit they deserve. Opinions of those in a similar condition, in this example an S4 user asking about others who have moved from the S4 to the G2, has great value. Someone with similar experiences can provide insight to what I might believe. I can't get that from an hour fondling a device in the store, the time period is much too short too determine whether the love affair will turn into a marriage. The opposite is also true, I might be initially put off, but the whole package may be attractive once you get to know the device.

Posted via Android Central App

Johnly

Retired Moderator
Oct 6, 2010
Visit site
Doesn't change that hideous (objective observation) ear piece though. He he.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Haalcyon

Banned
Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
I prefer the G2 to my old S4. The S4 was a nice phone but the G2 is nicer, faster, has a better screen, and better battery life. LGui is preferable, to me, over the S4's TouchBiz (hehe). Did I mention the G2 is faster and has a better screen and better battery life? Surveys show that attractive brainy women prefer a man who carries a G2. No really.

G Pad 8.3

MrBungle999

Aug 3, 2013
Visit site
Radios are superior in the LG, screen is better unless you prefer saturated amlod displays, better CPU and like stated much smoother then touchwiz,the only thing the S4 has over the G2 is removable battery and SD card slot

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk

I do love the g2 over the s4 but I started noticing certain media apps are not supported by the g2 that were on my s4 like my local cable app optimum and abc app. both not supported on g2

Sent from my LG-D800 using AC Forums mobile app

Haalcyon

Banned
Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
I do love the g2 over the s4 but I started noticing certain media apps are not supported by the g2 that were on my s4 like my local cable app optimum and abc app. both not supported on g2

Sent from my LG-D800 using AC Forums mobile app
I ran into that kind of nonsense when I moved to higher resolution devices. I am an old man (43) and I love to play an old classic, Monopoly (I live giving the computer the beat-down). However, until EA updates is to work with contemporary screen resolutions I can't play it. So I can buy a lower resolution device like the Note 8.0 or Note 2 or just keep missing my favorite game. Thanks EA. Looks like EA is only worried about keeping their violent titles and nonsense up to spec. :mad:

G2

icetink

Nov 1, 2013
Visit site
What I like about the G2 (over the S4):
- BATTERY LIFE!!!
- IPS screen is very very nice
- knock-on/knock-off
- touchscreen home button (vs. mechanical)
- no buttons on the side of the device
- rear button placement
- camera has OIS
- music playback through headphones is better
- speaker location on the bottom (vs. the back)
- Snapdragon 800 & Adreno 330 are noticeably faster

What I like about the S4 (over the G2)
- expandable memory (which is quite important to me since I listen to FLAC)
- blacks on AMOLED are very dark, contrast is great (but overall colour reproduction is too saturated for my tastes)
- screen auto-brightness is faster to adjust
- camera/pictures at higher ISOs aren't as heavily processed and thus retain more detail
- speaker sound quality is a lot clearer and lows are more audible
- e-mail app is better
- multitasking implementation is better

Overall, I prefer the G2 over the S4.

xgman

Sep 19, 2012
Visit site
I've had both and there is no comparison in my mind unless you like freezes and glitches, if so get the S4, otherwise the G2 all day!

Haalcyon

Banned
Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
I've had both and there is no comparison in my mind unless you like freezes and glitches, if so get the S4, otherwise the G2 all day!

The S4 can be made to run pretty smooth. You can disable animations and such and that goes a long way. It's not really fair to compare it to the G2 and its SnapDragon 800 that could eat the S4 all day long but is too humble to do so.

G Pad 8.3

luqman24

Sep 18, 2012
Visit site
Hardware wise it's obviously the G2 that's better. Better screen, processor, camera, battery life, radios. Software it's a matter of preference. Since I've used both the S4 and G2 (used the S4 for a week to test drive it end it up returning it for the G2) and I preferred the G2. Much smoother and more customizable. Only weak points of the G2 is the finger print magnet back casing (but I put a case on it so it's no longer a big deal), weak IR blaster range, and the speakers. Overall it's a great phone. But if I were you I'd definitely go with the G2 over the S4.

megakony

Nov 14, 2013
Visit site
You are right, I agree. I was mostly referring to the visual aspects of the phone - they are based on preference of an individual. What do you recommend btw? S4 or G2?

HalizDad

Banned
Jul 17, 2011
Visit site
I say G2...I never has an S4, but there wasn't a huge difference between the S3 and S4 according to all the reviews. Not a reason to upgrade from the 3 to the 4 anyway.

musicmaster

Mar 29, 2011
Visit site
My dad and I were going through this a few weeks ago -- both of us has Galaxy Nexus' from Verizon. Although the Gnex's were still chugging along, I was itching for something new. He picked up the GS4 for $120, then I found the G2 a few days later for free.

Our biggest concern was the lack of removable battery with the G2 as I was used to having to have 2 battery with the Gnex to get through a day if we were going to be away from a charger.

Well I took a day trip from 6:30am to 9:30 PM including 6 hours of streaming music in the car and still had 40% left at the end of the day.

Haalcyon

Banned
Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
It's really too bad the Optimus G Pro is not available on other carriers besides AT&T. It's a phone that ticks all the important checkmarks and the price is right. $440 for 32GB with a removable battery and an mSD card slot.

G Pad 8.3