Sprint LG G2 Caller I.D. Fail

musclehead84

Oct 24, 2010
Visit site
No when the Cid doesn't work right it just says unknown. That's it. No number or anything. My wife called sprint cause she got this for me for a birthday gift and shes mad that it's not working right and they didn't seem to care. Just said I could get another phone if I would like.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using AC Forums mobile app

Mikey47

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
No when the Cid doesn't work right it just says unknown. That's it. No number or anything. My wife called sprint cause she got this for me for a birthday gift and shes mad that it's not working right and they didn't seem to care. Just said I could get another phone if I would like.

Well that sucks. At least you know it's the tower and not the phone. Even though it's a pain, I'd keep calling until some creates a problem ticket for the tower.

Man, no caller ID, that is so 1980's.

Dan Oldham

Nov 12, 2013
Visit site
No its not user error it's location problem. I traveled to the city yesterday and it worked just fine on Lte. This leads me to believe that it's a location problem with some of sprints towers.

This is correct. In heavily populated areas, everything also works fine for me. I'm sure everything will be fixed in time, but that doesn't make any of us happier right now.

musclehead84

Oct 24, 2010
Visit site
Exactly Dan. I hate not knowing who is calling and I hate being on 3g all the time. I hope they fix this soon.

Dan Oldham

Nov 12, 2013
Visit site
Exactly Dan. I hate not knowing who is calling and I hate being on 3g all the time. I hope they fix this soon.

Given the popularity of these phones (G2, Nexus 5) and the high demand there is for them, Sprint will have to resolve these issues quickly. The holidays are here and LG will NOT be happy if their phones wind up with a reputation for being problematic on the Sprint network. If this becomes widespread news, sales will suffer, BIG time. That's not going to be good news for LG.

musclehead84

Oct 24, 2010
Visit site
I'm just glad I'm not the only one. I thought something was wrong with my phone at first but when I saw it work on 3g I knew it was network related. Now I see other people having the problem and some aren't so it's a location issue. I sure do hope sprint gets this issue resolved sooner than later.

Dan Oldham

Nov 12, 2013
Visit site
I'm just glad I'm not the only one. I thought something was wrong with my phone at first but when I saw it work on 3g I knew it was network related. Now I see other people having the problem and some aren't so it's a location issue. I sure do hope sprint gets this issue resolved sooner than later.

Which setting are you using so your CID works?

Aside from the CID issues, how are you liking your Nexus 5?

musclehead84

Oct 24, 2010
Visit site
What do u mean? I don't mess with any of the settings. It just works on 3g and not on lte in my area.

Sent from my SPH-L900 using AC Forums mobile app

musclehead84

Oct 24, 2010
Visit site
I'm not doing anything different. It just works on 3g and doesn't on Lte. All I do is go into mobile network and select 3g and my Cid will work when I'm connected to 3g.

Dan Oldham

Nov 12, 2013
Visit site
I'm not doing anything different. It just works on 3g and doesn't on Lte. All I do is go into mobile network and select 3g and my Cid will work when I'm connected to 3g.

I just switched my Mobile Network settings to "CDMA" and the CID worked. It did NOT work on any other settings; the downside is that now I only have 3G. I guess I have my choice between 4G or CID...

Joe Piscapo

Dec 5, 2013
Visit site
OK same issue here and tried SEVERAL towers etc...Go to settings on your LgG2>more>mobile networks>network mode>you will see Global, LTE/CDMA, CDMA, GSM/UMTS. if your LGG2 has a radio button (that's that the little circular buttons are called) ticked in blue in ANY OTHER spot than CDMA, not LTE/CDMA just CDMA you may not get caller id...Try moving the blue tick to CDMA back out, you should get 3g service and caller ID from this point. If you already have done this than please respond because this is the point I am at.

Dan Oldham

Nov 12, 2013
Visit site
OK same issue here and tried SEVERAL towers etc...Go to settings on your LgG2>more>mobile networks>network mode>you will see Global, LTE/CDMA, CDMA, GSM/UMTS. if your LGG2 has a radio button (that's that the little circular buttons are called) ticked in blue in ANY OTHER spot than CDMA, not LTE/CDMA just CDMA you may not get caller id...Try moving the blue tick to CDMA back out, you should get 3g service and caller ID from this point. If you already have done this than please respond because this is the point I am at.

CDMA is the only setting where my CID works at home, but as you said, it's only in 3G.

musclehead84

Oct 24, 2010
Visit site
Yes if u r connected to LTE in some areas your cid will not work. You have to be connected to 3g for cid to work. Now some areas work just fine. For example when I travel to Baltimore MD my cid works just fine on LTE but not on the towers in my home area. It all has to do with location and whether or not your towers have been updated or not.

Dan Oldham

Nov 12, 2013
Visit site
Yes if u r connected to LTE in some areas your cid will not work. You have to be connected to 3g for cid to work. Now some areas work just fine. For example when I travel to Baltimore MD my cid works just fine on LTE but not on the towers in my home area. It all has to do with location and whether or not your towers have been updated or not.

Well, good news! Yesterday, my wife called (that's never good news LOL!) and not only did my 4G/LTE work, but my CID miraculously started working, too! I checked my Mobile Network settings and they were set to "Global."

So, the good news is that our phones are not glitching or problematic, the bad news is that the network in all our areas just haven't been updated as of yet. Be patient, my friends!

Musclehead, I live about an hour and a half from Baltimore. Small world!

musclehead84

Oct 24, 2010
Visit site
That's awesome news Dan. Yeah I'm glad we found out the problem. Wow small world it Is. Hopefully my towers get updated soon as well.

Dan Oldham

Nov 12, 2013
Visit site
That's awesome news Dan. Yeah I'm glad we found out the problem. Wow small world it Is. Hopefully my towers get updated soon as well.

Yes, it was quite a welcome surprise! I think it's just a matter of sitting tight and waiting until Sprint gets the network in everyone's area updated. When I first got my phone, the CID worked for a few days, then, all of a sudden...nothing. Now, it's back to working. First, my CID was working but I wasn't getting 4G/LTE, then I was getting 4G/LTE but my CID wasn't working. Everything seems to be operating correctly, but it just took right under a month. :confused:

The holiday is right around the corner and the G2 and Nexus 5 are/were two of Sprint's most anticipated smartphones. You can bet LG (LG also manufactures the Nexus 5) have been breathing down Sprint's back to get the issues resolved, as problems would certainly affect their bottom line. LG aren't going to be wanting a reputation for phones that don't work. Obviously, I don't have any inside information on what's going on behind Sprint's doors, but my guess is that these issues will be resolved in all areas by the time the holiday rolls around.

I think at this point, everyone just needs to be patient. Everyone just needs to continue to update their PRLs, Profiles, etc., and keep an eye out for changes in their areas. I'm sure Sprint probably took care of the more populated areas such as large cities and towns before working on the less-populated areas. I don't think it will be long before we're all getting the service we should be getting!

As for the time being, if CID is a must-have, switch the Mobile Network settings to "CDMA." You'll be getting 3G, but the CID will be working. If there's an accessible WiFi connection, people are probably utilizing them instead of the 4G/LTE anyway, so only having 3G shouldn't be a big deal. :)

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
w8wca