Why is this phone always on sale?

RazorLeaf

Sep 10, 2013
Visit site
I bought this beast of a phone on launch day for $200 because I'm impulsive and wanted to part with my iPhone desperately. I have no regrets.
Recently, it seems like the G2 is always on sale at at least one retailer. Why is this? It's such a quality phone. Non-G2 owners might get the wrong idea if it's constantly discounted in comparison to the competition.

Haalcyon

Banned
Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
LG is a brand that's trying to compete with the Samsungs out there. They've got the quality and perforrmance but not the name recognition, IMO. So you and I are the winners. We're getting great products for not too much money. The Optimus G Pro is $440 on AT&T! That's almost unbelievable for a phone with its attributes: Speed, GORGEOUS 5.5" display, removable battery, mSD card slot. Why? Possibly because LG wants to move phones. On the other hand Samsung is charging $480 for it's Galaxy Mega that has NO specs worth even mentioning outside of its low-resolution 6.3" display. Why are they charging that? Because they're Samsung and they think that you and I believe they're worth it.

IMO, the lower prices you're seeing on the great phone that is the G2 is just because LG wants to move phones and not everyone is aware just how good the G2 is.

cw0974

Nov 8, 2011
Visit site
LG is a brand that's trying to compete with the Samsungs out there. They've got the quality and perforrmance but not the name recognition, IMO. So you and I are the winners. We're getting great products for not too much money. The Optimus G Pro is $440 on AT&T! That's almost unbelievable for a phone with its attributes: Speed, GORGEOUS 5.5" display, removable battery, mSD card slot. Why? Possibly because LG wants to move phones. On the other hand Samsung is charging $480 for it's Galaxy Mega that has NO specs worth even mentioning outside of its low-resolution 6.3" display. Why are they charging that? Because they're Samsung and they think that you and I believe they're worth it.

IMO, the lower prices you're seeing on the great phone that is the G2 is just because LG wants to move phones and not everyone is aware just how good the G2 is.

I totally agree with this, but like the OP, I bought the phone on release at $200 with a new 2-year contract. I love the phone, but VZW already dropped the phone to $150. And if I'm not wrong, it was on sale for $49.99 a week ago. I just don't think it's really fair for VZW to do this, the phone hasn't been out for that long and I'm sitting here thinking to myself that I should have waited.

wjpzcc

Nov 20, 2013
Visit site
Agreed. Verizon should refund us $50. I've only had my G2 for 2 months. Paid full price and it's on sale only after a month???

benhmadison

Mar 30, 2011
Visit site
It sucks but it's the nature of electronics. It's happened to me on two different upgrades. Also remember that 3rd party retailers generally start running specials after a device has been out a month or two but the price usually stays the same or close at the carrier store.

Sent from my Nexus 5

tech_head

Q&A Team
Aug 25, 2010
Visit site
I got burned buying a Droid Bionic on launch day only to find out that it was obsolete when shipped and the Razr was waiting in the wings.
Talk about ouch! I wish it had only been a price drop.

tx_tuff

Aug 31, 2011
Visit site
I bought the phone on release day, but used the Verizon 60% off coupon online and got it for $130, plus pick up in store the same day.

If you are really worried about the price you should do a little research before buying, or wait a month.

Haalcyon

Banned
Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
I bought the phone on release day, but used the Verizon 60% off coupon online and got it for $130, plus pick up in store the same day.

If you are really worried about the price you should do a little research before buying, or wait a month.
True this.

The G2, Optimus G Pro, and, now, the Nexus 5 are definitely great great great great bang for the buck. Especially since they're not asking for a lot of those bucks.