Do you think that LG copies Samsung?

EdwardTodorov

Aug 14, 2013
Visit site
Hi guys, I am an owner of the s4 and I was thinking of upgrade to the G2. When I got more familiar with the software and hardware, I have noticed how LG copied Samsung, but you now what? I think it's for the best, because even if they copy some bits, they refine them and make them more enjoyable. So, what you guys think about that? Is it a good bet to buy an LG phone when Sammy is the leader on the android market?

Sent from my GT-I9505 using AC Forums mobile app

Last edited:

Just_Some_Nobody

Oct 4, 2011
Visit site
Re: Do you think that LG copy Samsung?

I came from a touchwiz device to an LG G2. I don't see how it was a copy. I much prefer the G2 experience.
But then, it's a stinkin' phone. I don't really care who copies who as long as they all end up with nice features. Look around. Everybody borrows design elements from everyone else. Take a design class and they TEACH you to be inspired by others. Worrying about who copies who is ... well, there's just better things to do with one's time.

jeno27

May 10, 2013
Visit site
Lg UI is not similar as Samsung...but there are some as Samsung... everyone Is copycat...once Samsung copied Apple..now grown up.

Posted via Android Central App

bear_lx

Dec 27, 2010
Visit site
who really cares honestly? they all copy each other... sammy copies apple, apple copies windows phone, and so on... its kind of annoying to me when i hear people say one copied the other... no disrespect

"good artist copy, great artist steal" steve jobs

luqman24

Sep 18, 2012
Visit site
Well at least Samsung isn't a suing machine like Apple. Let's be happy there isn't no legal action from Samsung because of these copied features.

donm527#IM

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site

i believe dual camera option was present in the LG Optimus Pro last year before G4...
also i believe there is an argument on patent infringment on the eye tracking feature...
and they have been going at each other for decades fighting over spying and stealing, etc.
samsung has stronger brand recognition so most wouldnt even know if LG came with it first or not.

With that being said, besides a few similar features to me thats where it ends
hardware they are different in specs where i think lg topped samsung in better processor, 5.2" IPS, IOS on the camera and and different in design.
software i personally prefer the look and feel of LG over touchwiz and i like the knock knock over the hand hovering gesture.

samsung is not a suing machine because realistically they are more a copy machine ;)
hey, their method has worked will for them.

Oofa

May 22, 2013
Visit site

Is your question , "do you think LG copied Samsung?" or "Should I buy an LG when Samsung is the leader?"

1. Copied Samsung how?
2. You should buy whatever phone suits your needs. Why would you even ask if you should buy a certain phone just because another phone is "the leader"? What difference does it make who the leader is or who copied who?

HalizDad

Banned
Jul 17, 2011
Visit site

i believe dual camera option was present in the LG Optimus Pro last year before G4...
also i believe there is an argument on patent infringment on the eye tracking feature...
and they have been going at each other for decades fighting over spying and stealing, etc.
samsung has stronger brand recognition so most wouldnt even know if LG came with it first or not.

With that being said, besides a few similar features to me thats where it ends
hardware they are different in specs where i think lg topped samsung in better processor, 5.2" IPS, IOS on the camera and and different in design.
software i personally prefer the look and feel of LG over touchwiz and i like the knock knock over the hand hovering gesture.

samsung is not a suing machine because realistically they are more a copy machine ;)
hey, their method has worked will for them.

Very true...Samsung has a rabid fan base much like Apple. I always go for the "better phone" for me, regardless of who makes it. If the G2 hadn't been around, I probably would have tried a Windows Phone this time around. I'm not sure if I'm more enamored by the G2, or T-Mobile's LTE in my area, but I'm quite fricking happy at the moment.

bespinct

Apr 24, 2010
Visit site
Mimicry is about the highest form of flattery. I think LG has taken good bits from others and added some good bits of their own.

I know many find the UI to be TouchWiz like, and agree to a point, but some of the icons remind me of Go Launcher themes that I used in the Gingerbread and earlier days.

The eye detection is another seemingly obvious implementation borrowed from Samsung, but isn't that an extension of face detection? Haven't cameras had that for a while?

Or maybe it all just came from WebOS and BlackBerry...

HalizDad

Banned
Jul 17, 2011
Visit site
The eye detection is another seemingly obvious implementation borrowed from Samsung, but isn't that an extension of face detection? Haven't cameras had that for a while?

Or maybe it all just came from WebOS and BlackBerry...

https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...er.android.eyebuddy.paid&hl=en&token=X-cExeMw

Eye detection for watching videos was an ANDROID extension that Samsung simply included in their devices so you didn't have to download an app...Kinda' like a calendar. Yes, the camera's have had that for a long time. Touchwiz and the LG GUI definitely remind me of GO Launchers....That's why I use Nova.

Just_Some_Nobody

Oct 4, 2011
Visit site
Can't we just accept that everyone borrows from everyone else and stop talking about this? Why does everyone keep getting so **** hurt over this?

Posted via Android Central App using an LG G2.

HalizDad

Banned
Jul 17, 2011
Visit site
Can't we just accept that everyone borrows from everyone else and stop talking about this? Why does everyone keep getting so **** hurt over this?

Posted via Android Central App using an LG G2.

Why do you keep reading it? I don't see where anyone other than you is butthurt over this thread.

Sent from my LG-D801 using AC Forums mobile app

lexfrancis

May 25, 2013
Visit site
I think it's pretty obvious that they used s4 UI as a base for the g2's, and just added to it. The notification pane has almost the same layout, with the addition of q slide and quick remote if you want. They got some of the camera features from the s4. The way widgets and apps are separated in the app tray is the same. The clock and weather widget is the same. The two phones look physically similar.

Obviously all companies copy things from other companies, but lg seem to have aimed specifically for the s4's market. It's a good thing. I like touchwiz, I just hate the green highlight, that water droplet touch sound, and the fact that it stutters. The g2 gets rid of all that, and has many features of its own. The UI looks better imo, the phone's screen is nicer, and the camera and battery life are better. It's definitely the better phone.

Last edited:

HalizDad

Banned
Jul 17, 2011
Visit site
I think it's pretty obvious that they used s4 UI as a base for the g2's, and just added to it. The notification pane has almost the same layout, with the addition of q slide and quick remote if you want. They got some of the camera features from the s4. The way widgets and apps are separated in the app tray is the same. The clock and weather widget is the same. The two phones look physically similar.

Obviously all companies copy things from other companies, but lg seem to have aimed specifically for the s4's market. It's a good thing. I like touchwiz, I just hate the green highlight, that water droplet touch sound, and the fact that it stutters. The g2 gets rid of all that, and has many features of its own. The UI looks better imo, the phone's screen is nicer, and the camera and battery life are better. It's definitely the better phone.

1. I'm not arguing...I'm just going to point out:

ALL of the items you listed are based off of open source apps or made for LG by someone else. That weather app of Samsung's? Nope...That's the Accuweather app made by Accuweather for LG, and the Samsung version is the Accuweather app made by Accuweather for Samsung. The notification pane is pretty much the same across ALL of the phones now and is an Android feature which LG took to the "nth" degree and added toggles I didn't even know existed. And the camera? The features are from whoever makes the camera in a particular phone, but LG's GUI is a lot easier to use than my S3 was. I have a D-SLR for taking photos, and when I want to snap one with my phone it's usually a fleeting target of opportunity...I know on my HTC One, that was a rather annoying affair unless I just snapped it and hoped the settings were right. You are more than correct in saying "It's definitely the better phone." I frickin' love this phone.

EdwardTodorov

Aug 14, 2013
Visit site
Tbh, after reading and researching so much about this phone, I hate myself and should admit that I want to trade my S4 for a LG G2.... So badly.... Hope i get i good selling price for my phone. :)

lexfrancis

May 25, 2013
Visit site
. The notification pane is pretty much the same across ALL of the phones now

Yeah. Maybe I'm basing everything I'm saying solely on the fact that the g2 is more similar to the s4 than the nexus 4, which is the last device I had...

jimgravy

Aug 21, 2011
Visit site
Hi Phone Folks! Everyone take a deep breath, hold for five seconds, slowly release a then with a smile on your face, say I'm so glad I have an LG G2! HA HA! I've had a Galaxy Epic 4G on Sprint and a Galaxy S3 on Verizon. I was out of contract and waiting patiently of 4.3 to come from Samsung. I had charging issues with the S3, and after 4 car chargers and two home chargers, the S3 had a circuit board problem. I have paying close attention to T Mobile, and decided to go with the LG G2 with Magenta. What a combination! Here in Pittsburgh, I am seeing incredible 4G Ltd coverage, paying for the phone on Jump, and saving close to $20.00 per month. I could care less about copying, really! The LG G2 is so intuitive, when I'm getting it out of my pocket, my finger is already on power button and screen is on and ready! Double tap is awesome and lime I said, you want a phone that flows into your style of use. My old eyes adores the screen, I see no need for replacement launcher (had Go Launcher on every Samsung phone for a reason, right?) LG has hit one out of the park, and I couldn't be happier with my selection. I really don't care when KitKat arrives, we have a powerhouse in our hands, and sits at the top of the cellphone Kingdom! Cheers!

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MickTavia