LG G2 - Like Hangouts, Miss Actionable Toast Notifications

bespinct

Apr 24, 2010
Visit site
I have been using Hangouts as my messaging app, but I miss the ability to respond to a text within what app I'm currently using.

Probably not enough for me to ditch Hangouts, but folks often knock the enhancements that OEMs make...but there are some gems out there.

Posted via Android Central App

korab84

Nov 17, 2013
Visit site
I have been using Hangouts as my messaging app, but I miss the ability to respond to a text within what app I'm currently using.

Probably not enough for me to ditch Hangouts, but folks often knock the enhancements that OEMs make...but there are some gems out there.

You can disable the SMS feature in Hangouts and continue using the default text messaging app.

Posted via Motorola Xoom tablet

dcleveng

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
I tried using Hangouts, but ended up going back to the stock app because I missed the toast notifications too much. It's a very nice feature.

bespinct

Apr 24, 2010
Visit site
The pop up window u get when u receive a text in the stock message app

Sent from Bad Azz VZW LG G2 Cyan Tapatalk

I wonder if toast Notifications are provided by the Android Framework and not used, or whether LG had to bring them.

f4ipilot

Oct 9, 2013
Visit site
Were you guys able to receive mms or any pictures? When I was using Hangouts for SMS I was unable to receive or send any pictures for some reason. I was not able to figure it out so I had to go back to the stock messenger. I do like the format of Hangouts much better though when I did use it.

jmarkey77

Mar 16, 2012
Visit site
Were you guys able to receive mms or any pictures? When I was using Hangouts for SMS I was unable to receive or send any pictures for some reason. I was not able to figure it out so I had to go back to the stock messenger. I do like the format of Hangouts much better though when I did use it.

No problems here at all, and to go back go into hangouts and unchecked the sms option.

Sent from my LG G2

moosc

Grand Master Moosc
Oct 20, 2009
Visit site
The first version of hangouts that was leaked was borked. But newest update is just fine

Sent from Bad Azz VZW LG G2 Cyan Tapatalk

f4ipilot

Oct 9, 2013
Visit site
I think I am really missing something. I have installed the latest version of the Hangouts app and I am unable to get the Hangouts app to send or receive any picture. It will send and receive regular text messages though. I have tinkered with the settings and verified that the auto retrieve MMS messages is turned on but still no luck. I am able to send and receive pictures and MMS messages just fine on the stock messenger app. I would greatly like to get this to work as I like the visual appearance of the Hangouts app better than the stock messenger. If anybody has any recommendations to try it would be much appreciated. I have an LG G2 on Sprint. Thanks.

bespinct

Apr 24, 2010
Visit site
What happens when you try to send a picture? And does it do the same thing whether your sending it as an MMS or a Hangout?

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk

f4ipilot

Oct 9, 2013
Visit site
I have tried two methods: first I tried opening my gallery of pics on the phone and long pressing on a pic then selecting share and selecting hangouts, then selecting a contact. The action shows up in the conversation list but it just has three dots that move up and down for several minutes then the dots are replaced by words that say tap to resend. When I have a friend send me a pic when standing beside me I receive a message in hangouts saying "tap to download MMS". I tap this and get the three dots dancing up and down and after several minutes it reverts to words that say tap to retry. The stock messaging app works perfect for sending and receiving pictures.

I'm sorry, I am a bit confused by your statement 'sending it as an MMS.' I thought that the Hangouts app automatically converted the picture to a MMS format but maybe I am wrong. If it does not I am not sure how to convert a picture from the camera to a MMS format. Maybe I thought this because the stock app automatically converted a picture to an MMS format or whatever it needs to send to a contact. I greatly appreciate your response and willingness to help. I feel like there is a simple solution to this problem that I am overlooking.

f4ipilot

Oct 9, 2013
Visit site
I forgot to mention the second method of in the hangouts app, selecting the camera icon on the right and selecting attach photo. This yield the exact same response ad the first method though.

bespinct

Apr 24, 2010
Visit site
Hmm, I don't think you are doing anything wrong, but I'm no help in determining a fix. It does seem like it is failing to convert the image as you say. That is the first thing it does when I choose the picture, before having the opportunity to add text or hit send.

Also, Hangouts is a dual method messaging app. It supports direct messaging other Google+ users in addition to SMS/MMS.

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk

f4ipilot

Oct 9, 2013
Visit site
Even after today's Hangout update I am still unable to receive or send pictures as text messages through the hangout app. Regular text messages do go through normally though. This is getting frustrating for me. I am on Sprint, so I am not sure if that has anything to do with it. Has anyone else noticed anything different after the recent update to 2.0.216? Thanks.

Quis89

Q&A Team
Oct 15, 2009
Visit site
This thread introduced me to this feature. I had been using textra for a similar feature. Thanks!!

Sent from my LG-LS980 using AC Forums mobile app

Jawbox

Nov 10, 2011
Visit site
I've got the same problem with Hangouts on a stock but rooted LS980, no workaround for me yet. From what I've read:

The issue "has been linked to a hard-coding of various carrier APNs within the Hangouts APK itself. Essentially, the app ignores the system-level MMS settings within the APN (access point network, the link between the SIM card and carrier data network), and if Hangouts lacks the data, MMS messages will just fail." - Hangouts MMS support broken for many users, Google silent on the issue | MobileSyrup.com

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
2fedes