Running into a mega-annoying problem with the headphone jack, need help!

sushiglobster

Jan 29, 2010
Visit site
So, I'm running into an extremely annoying problem with my G2. Just the slightest touch causes my headphone jack to stop sensing properly.

Example: I'll be listening to Google Music and i'll just ever so slightly move my headphone cable near the base of the 3.5mm headphone plug and suddenly the audio will stop as if I have unplugged my headphones. Yet, my headphones are still snapped in and once I press play again, the music continues on as if nothing has happened.

Some times my phone will go from headphones and speaker...headphones and speaker, headphones and speaker. It's as if it doesn't know my headphones are plugged in.

We are talking super light touching here. Any rotation of the plug while connected will cause it to fail. Simply picking up the phone will cause audio to suddenly stop. I'd be willing to bet that by simply blowing on the damn plug would cause it to fail. Hell, even a fart in the plugs direction would probably cause it to fail. That's how light of a touch I'm talking about here. Also, tapping and rotating the headphone plug while it's plugged in would cause Google Voice search to launch. Super weird.

I don't get whats going on. I see know damage in the headphone input...everything looks fine. I've babied this thing since it has arrived. It has been in a case ever since.

My headphones are good because I've tried them on multiple sources. Plugging in different headphones in to my G2 causes the same problems still. I've tried switching ROMs but the same thing still happens.

I'm at a loss here. I need some advice on what to do. Should I just call Verizon and get a replacement phone? Do I need to unroot to do that?

What a pain in the ***.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Could there be some lint or other debris caught in the jack, maybe intermittently interfering with the contact? Try rooting around with a damp toothpick or blowing it out with a can of compressed air.

sushiglobster

Jan 29, 2010
Visit site
I've tried :(

I posted a thread over at reddit.com/r/lgg2 and a couple of people have chimed in with the same exact issue as me. I thought it was much more isolated and rare, but so far some 4 people have said they are experiencing the same issue. However, I can't find anyone saying anything on the popular Android forums. Weird.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Sounds like some kind of loose connection. Do you notice if anything changes if you squeeze the chassis of the phone? Like perhaps it might improve with a squeeze, since some loose contact is being made tighter?

sushiglobster

Jan 29, 2010
Visit site
Sounds like some kind of loose connection. Do you notice if anything changes if you squeeze the chassis of the phone? Like perhaps it might improve with a squeeze, since some loose contact is being made tighter?

Good question. Let me try it out and see.

Okay, so here's what I found and it gets more weird. Tapping the sides during Google Music playback doesn't have an effect. Tapping the top and back of the phone doesn't have an effect. HOWEVER, tapping the lower left part of the phone, right to the left of the LG logo causes the problem to occur and what's really weird about it is that Google Now launches. Even when I squeeze that area. Probably because there is a mic next to the headphone jack. I don't know...weird.

EDIT 2: Squeezing it while playing music and tapping the back of my headphone plug doesn't change anything. Still get the same problem. Jack seems to be completely messed up, but I haven't done anything to cause it.

EDIT: So can confirm that squeezing the lower left area to the right of the LG logo causes the problem. Sometimes it launches Google Now. Sometimes squeezing it causes the speaker phone to kick in and I can hear Google Music playing on it. Seems to be the general area of where the problem is coming from. Tapping that area doesn't seem to be nearly as consistent as squeezing it does.

Last edited:

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Good question. Let me try it out and see.

Okay, so here's what I found and it gets more weird. Tapping the sides during Google Music playback doesn't have an effect. Tapping the top and back of the phone doesn't have an effect. HOWEVER, tapping the lower left part of the phone, right to the left of the LG logo causes the problem to occur and what's really weird about it is that Google Now launches. Even when I squeeze that area. Probably because there is a mic next to the headphone jack. I don't know...weird.

EDIT 2: Squeezing it while playing music and tapping the back of my headphone plug doesn't change anything. Still get the same problem. Jack seems to be completely messed up, but I haven't done anything to cause it.

EDIT: So can confirm that squeezing the lower left area to the right of the LG logo causes the problem. Sometimes it launches Google Now. Sometimes squeezing it causes the speaker phone to kick in and I can hear Google Music playing on it. Seems to be the general area of where the problem is coming from. Tapping that area doesn't seem to be nearly as consistent as squeezing it does.

How annoying! How old is your G2? I suggest talking to your wireless provider and seeing if they'll give you a replacement due to a defect. Ideally, bring the phone into a store and show them. It would be best if there weren't any obvious scuff marks or other damage to the phone so that they can't blame you for causing the problem. If they won't help, then contact LG support: LG Direct Service by | LG USA

I'm having the same problem. I tried cleaning out the lint but it seems to be a hardware problem. Still looking for a solution.
Welcome to Android Central! Same suggestions for you as well. :)

kevinmesser2

Jan 19, 2014
Visit site
Hey I may have a solution that I was having exact same problem as you.. found my solution on LGG2 forum... the solution is that the male plug on my headphone jack was not pushed in far enough... please try it.. push the plug in all the way then just a bit more of a push til you hear a click.. then its in all the way.. solved my problem. :)

user242

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
This is not a "wierd" problem because from what I'm hearing it's obvious to me knowing a little about electronics that you have a faulty female headphone connecter. When you have your headphone jack plugged in and wiggle the jack it creates a on/off switching function in the phone that activates or affects any associated phone calling functions or music apps in your case Google music. If I were you I would call up Verizon tell them what the issue is and there is not much trouble shooting they'll be able to walk you through over the phone so if your one year manufacturers is still in effect which I believe it is since the G2 hasn't been out for a year yet right? Or if you have the Verizon protection plan they should be able to ship a replacement G2 super fast. In the past I've actually had a similar issue with my HTC Thunderbolt and they shipped me a replacement the very next day. Don't try and trouble shoot your phone anymore this will just drive you into more and more frustration. Oh, and if you have "rooted" your phone try and put it back to the original stock setting or else Verizon and or LG will detect this not honor you a free replacement G2. Good luck and let us know how it goes.

Sent from my VS980 4G using AC Forums mobile app

Jeffk23

Sep 20, 2013
Visit site
I used to have the same "problem." Just push in the male piece harder than you think you have too. It will snap in. Trust me. Just try it. Push it in harder. Your male piece will almost be flush with the phone. Try it. Your problem will be solved. Promise

Posted via Android Central App

Jeft356

Apr 25, 2014
Visit site
Seriously... it's called Bluetooth. I haven't corded in years. And you don't have to pay an outrageous sum. I own a pair called Joggerz that are outstanfing and paid $25 for on Amazon.

Posted via Android Central App

PhilBullen

May 27, 2014
Visit site
The headphone jack has to be pushed ** ALL THE WAY IN **, (push HARDER than you would think is prudent, until there is a FIRM CLICK.
i.e. so that NONE of the metal part of the headphone jack is showing.

This worked for me. What a relief....I've got my music back. :)

- Phil

skooter16

May 16, 2011
Visit site
I'm having the same issue. And have literally pushed with both hands to get the Jack to pop into place....it doesn't work.

What a pitty I was hoping to get a phone that didn't have to make me deal with constant Verizon Refurbs that are junk.

Tall Whitemail

Dec 7, 2015
Visit site
I am having the exact same problem. Exactly as you describe. I have an LG3 new, mint condition, never dropped, and always encased.
The plug is bad, OK Google has been turned off in all places including my Google profile disallows voice search, yet it still comes on when I try to get the plug to work, stopping my music! So frustrating.
My plan is through Fido, it has nothing to do with the provider, its the cell.
I have found no solution yet, and am in the early stages of researching this.
Help?

Apr 14, 2017
Visit site
I know this is an old post. But i have found a 100% fix for this. Mine kept registering my audio cable as a mic input if i even moved it ever so slightly from being parallel to the audio cable, triggering the google voice search app.

Disclaimer: i do not work on cellular devices, i just dont let them defeat me. You should proceed at your own risk with my advice!

What was happening was the cable would move inside the port and lose contact with one of the miniature connectors. The google voice app would pop up and drive me nuts. I mean i was literally swearing at the app cuz it had a female voice, like she could hear me. But she kept just asking what i was saying with no regard to the nasty things i would say back to her. Damn her.

What i did was take a needle (once again... Try at your own risk) i scraped at the connectorcorrosio to remove any corrosion. Being in my pocket, sweating on hot days, good idea to clean the connectors.

Im sure u should be very careful not to touch 2 of them at the same time as it would probably short out your audio port rendering it useless. Maybe causing other damage.

Carefully clean the connectors. Next i bent, ever so slightly upwards, the last connector closest to the opening. Barely moving it. Do not use your full hulk rage to move it.

I plugged my phone in and it did not do it anymore. It was honestly such an orgasmic release of good feelings to defeat this problem. I mean it. It was plaguing my driving/working listening to music. I said so many words that would make my mother blush, and she was a sailor.

All the menu options on google app and voice search settings cannot fix the botched port. Good luck to everyone. Please do not break your phones more. I hope this helps.

evo_valle

Jul 11, 2017
Visit site
I know this is an old post. But i have found a 100% fix for this. Mine kept registering my audio cable as a mic input if i even moved it ever so slightly from being parallel to the audio cable, triggering the google voice search app.

Disclaimer: i do not work on cellular devices, i just dont let them defeat me. You should proceed at your own risk with my advice!

What was happening was the cable would move inside the port and lose contact with one of the miniature connectors. The google voice app would pop up and drive me nuts. I mean i was literally swearing at the app cuz it had a female voice, like she could hear me. But she kept just asking what i was saying with no regard to the nasty things i would say back to her. Damn her.

What i did was take a needle (once again... Try at your own risk) i scraped at the connectorcorrosio to remove any corrosion. Being in my pocket, sweating on hot days, good idea to clean the connectors.

Im sure u should be very careful not to touch 2 of them at the same time as it would probably short out your audio port rendering it useless. Maybe causing other damage.

Carefully clean the connectors. Next i bent, ever so slightly upwards, the last connector closest to the opening. Barely moving it. Do not use your full hulk rage to move it.

I plugged my phone in and it did not do it anymore. It was honestly such an orgasmic release of good feelings to defeat this problem. I mean it. It was plaguing my driving/working listening to music. I said so many words that would make my mother blush, and she was a sailor.

All the menu options on google app and voice search settings cannot fix the botched port. Good luck to everyone. Please do not break your phones more. I hope this helps.

Thank you! I was looking for a solution to this problem for my nexus 5. I tried everything: from apps deactivating handsfree function to messing around with the google options. The only thing that worked were tweezers inside the plug. There was a lot of filth inside the audio plug, nothing more. Now the headphones work as always. Thank you for sharing your solution!!:D