G2 ranked the best battery monster of all, killing all competition

RobotHeaven

Nov 29, 2013
Visit site
It didn't surprise me about the G2 because it's well known for superby battery life, but i'm shocked at how well the HTC One has performed. I expected that to be way down the list

The LG G2 has passed through our exhausting battery life test and we now have the results. A huge 3000mAh stacked battery, efficient Snapdragon 800 and few other tricks do wonders for the 5.2-inch LG G2 flagship, and it ranks above all the competition. That’s right, the G2 is the longest lasting top-shelf smartphone we’ve ever tested so far.

The LG G2 battery scored an impressive 6 hours and 48 minutes. This means that you can expect the G2 to last nearly 7 hours when you are using it non-stop, without putting it down. In real life, this translates to being able to use the LG flagship a full work day even under extreme stress and practically without putting it down.

For most people, however, even the heaviest of use actually comes with a few breaks, so even in your busier days, the G2 is still likely to last you a full 24 hours. With moderate use (but still without limiting yourself), we expect most users to get a good two days on a single charge. Those who are rarely touching their smartphones can expect three. Impressive

Needless to say, the LG G2 lasts much longer than the Samsung Galaxy S4, the HTC One or Apple iPhone 5s. It's in a league of its own when looking at smartphones with screens of around 5 inches. It even outlasts most phablets. One phone that comes close to it is the Samsung Galaxy Note 3 battery (but it still lasts less), and there is also the humongous HTC One max that actually lasts even longer, but both belong to the large-screen “phablet” category, unlike the G2.

How did LG manage to pull this out? First, the 3000mAh, or 11.4 watt-hour, 3.8V battery is stacked to fit inside the relatively compact body of the G2. We’re talking about a battery that is the size of what most phablets offer in a package that’s much smaller. Second, the Snapdragon 800 system chip brings big power efficiencies in comparison with the earlier 600 chip, especially in standby (low-power) situations. Plus, it’s built on a new and more efficient 28nm HK-MG process. Next, LG uses GRAM (Graphics RAM) that allows the display to refresh less frequently and draw less power - the savings could be up to 26%. Last but not least, the handset can draw an impressive 2A of power from its wall charger, and that significantly quickens recharge speed.

We are wowed with LG G2’s battery longevity. It’s a phone that’s not just powerful - it’s reliable and it will never fail you with a dead battery on a busy day (at least, it won’t ask you to charge until the evening). Batteries are still one area where we feel a sore need for more and faster, but the LG G2 is a nice peek into the future. Let’s see what 2014 brings!
LG G2 battery life test: long live the king

Last edited:

betty_boop245

Jan 26, 2013
Visit site
I'm a moderate user, and I easily get 2 days out of my G2 with about 10% left when I charge. Excellent battery life, best I've had on a smartphone

Posted via Android Central App

undulose

Jan 3, 2014
Visit site
It didn't surprise me about the G2 because it's well known for superby battery life, but i'm shocked at how well the HTC One has performed. I expected that to be way down the list

LG G2 battery life test: long live the king

You'll reduce bias if you don't only refer to one battery test. GSMArena battery results didn't make LG G2 as the battery king of smartphones, and it has a rating of 63h only. LG G Flex has 87h rating, I think, and the Nokia Lumia 1520 has a 107h rating. Check their websites or Google-search for confirmation.

I read the link you've posted and I saw that the G Flex and Lumia 1520 aren't on the list, and Note 3 is the only phablet contestant there.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

conan1071

Jun 10, 2012
Visit site
Had a G2 with Verizon, good battery life. Then switched to maxx and am amazed. Beats the g2 all day.

Sent from my XT1080 using AC Forums mobile app

Attachments

• 1388851901325.jpg
    1388851901325.jpg
    46.3 KB · Views: 106
  • 1388851912451.jpg
    1388851912451.jpg
    66.5 KB · Views: 106

srkmagnus

Retired Moderator
May 23, 2010
Visit site
The G2 is a great device. Definitely shouldn't be taken lightly when it comes to comparing it to the other top devices.

undulose

Jan 3, 2014
Visit site
The G2 is a great device. Definitely shouldn't be taken lightly when it comes to comparing it to the other top devices.

Yes, but I really think PhoneArena's analysis is a bit biased, if not incomplete. See my previous comment.

Sent from my Nokia Lumia 1520 (RM-937 Malaysia) using Tapatalk

RobotHeaven

Nov 29, 2013
Visit site
You'll reduce bias if you don't only refer to one battery test. GSMArena battery results didn't make LG G2 as the battery king of smartphones, and it has a rating of 63h only. LG G Flex has 87h rating, I think, and the Nokia Lumia 1520 has a 107h rating.
The review did mention in the 4th paragraph that it's talking about smartphones. The Flex and lumia 1520 are phablets

undulose

Jan 3, 2014
Visit site
The review did mention in the 4th paragraph that it's talking about smartphones. The Flex and lumia 1520 are phablets

Phablets are included since the Note 3 is there... And Note 3 has a higher endurance rating than G2. That's why both websites' claims are ambiguous.

Or Note 3 shouldn't be on PhoneArena's site since it is the only phablet there?

ffejjj

May 14, 2012
Visit site
I don't have a Note 3 so I wouldn't comment against it

LGG2 I do have and battery life is fantastic. Best I've ever seen in a phone

My Evo lte Filling the shoes of my HTC One

donm527#IM

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
well, i'm not gonna really care if the difference between the best is 40 minutes... i think the main thing the article shows what many have posted about battery and wondering if it's real or a rare occurance or if the meter is correct when it stays 100% for 4 hours after a full charge... and that this is a damn good battery on this phone and its no fluke. almost all reviews have commented on the battery so thats cool too. and LG makes the battery in the Moto X that's been getting positive comments on the battery.

i would have liked to see other comparisons like the often claimed king motorola maxx but again, it definitely makes me feel it's up there.

for me my previous phone was a nexus 4 and before that iphone 4s, iphone 3gs, iphone 1... and this phone feels it goes 2x my nexus 4 and 4s. it's nice to unplug at 7am and after a work day and home see at 8pm i still have 50+% left and not hunt for a charger during the day.

Yes, but I really think PhoneArena's analysis is a bit biased, if not incomplete. See my previous comment.

undulose

Jan 3, 2014
Visit site
And according to GSMArena, Note 3 has a higher endurance than G2. I'm not against LG G2, but I'm against heavy bias, inaccuracy or clinging to only one reference.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

undulose

Jan 3, 2014
Visit site
They didn't even compare the new Maxx, and the old RAZR Maxx beat the G2.

See? Their article is incomplete. Labelling something as a 'battery king' or monster can confuse a lot of readers and could also serve as an advertisement for the LG G2.

I admit that G2's battery life is excellent, but the article truly sounded biased and/or incomplete.

ffejjj

May 14, 2012
Visit site
Regardless if it's the best or not the G2 has outstanding battery life. It's among the top devices in my opinion

My Evo lte Filling the shoes of my HTC One

Adawg1203

Jan 30, 2010
Visit site
++1^^^^....G2 is a top device for battery and trying to dissect an article to prove bias is senseless. If the G2 had poor or even moderate battery life then point taken. However it has outstanding battery life compared to other devices on the market (new and old) including phablets....let it go at that...

Sent from my VS980 4G using AC Forums mobile app

Dirty-Bird

Nov 14, 2011
Visit site
If you read the article, it clearly states that they aren't including "phablets" because they are larger, niche phone which can naturally (and do) have much bigger batteries.

It also clearly states that there are a few "phablets" that have better battery life than the G2, including the Note 3.

If they haven't tested the Razr Maxx yet, fair enough. I wouldn't say that's a bias though.