Huge problems with this phone, Just voicing my problems.

Brandon Shea

Nov 27, 2013
Visit site
Hey guys. I'm going to warn ya'll right now this is going to be a rant. I'm brand new to this forum, and really only posting to see what people think and if i'm alone. If i'm posting in the wrong section i'm sorry, I don't mean to be 'one of those' people.

Let me start off by saying this. I love this phone. (D803, Telus Canadian). The idea of a big screen, amazing battery and almost no bezels is just..wow. I came from an iPhone 4 and if my device worked PROPERLY I would never regret it.

Now, here comes the bad part(s).

So. I buy this device from Telus a few months back. I walk in with my iPhone 4. I wanted a black HTC One. Went into the store, told him I was brand new to Android, That I had an iPhone 4 and to surprise me.

The salesman directs me to the LG G2 and within 5 minutes i'm ready to buy one. It's amazing. The salesman goes out back, and says he has ' just one left in the store, and that i'm really lucky.'

He asks me if I want the LG Quickwindow and showed me how they worked. Hell yes I want that. 10 minutes later i'm out of the store and playing with this beautiful device crafted by god. I had the device for about 3/4 weeks with no hitches at all. The phone was awesome.

Then the problems started. I'll list them all now because I feel like i'm just rambling.

1) Insanely sporadic battery life. I literally go from 2/3 days of not having to charge the device, to 3 hours and it's dead. On a full charge and no different in amounts of use.

2) Air pockets on the back of the device next to the bottom power button. I could literally ' bend ' the phone and hear it creak and crack. When I say bend I don't mean mercilessly bend it, I mean just flex it a little bit to test it's build quality. The same as just holding it firm I guess.

3) CRAZY wonky touchscreen. Now I know this is a semi common issue. But it still sucks. Swiftkey is a nightmare when it acts up as it strings 40 letters when I swipe.

4) Not converting to 4G when LTE goes down. Snow storm yesterday, House full of people with iPhones and smartphones and my dad actually has a G2 too. Snowstorm knocked out the power grid and our LTE went down. My dads phone converted to 4G but mine didn't. Leaving me with a huge texting phone more or less.

I know this is getting long and writing this I feel that i'll get flamed for it. I'm sorry if I'm pushing away potential buyers, or if you guys are sick of my bad grammar or whatever else. But im'a continue. :)

I take my device into Telus, and of course it's been more than a month so they can't swap it out for another device. I tell the nice lady excatly what's wrong and she says excatly this " it's all normal. I had the device, it sucks. I'll write it all in the report and send it to LG for you. "

They send the device off to LG and give me an HTC One as a loaner.

I get a call 4 days later saying my device is back. I go there super excited. But my dreams are crushed as the lady tells me LG said it 'passed inspection.'

I notice the back isnt creaky anyone so that's a plus right? I say whatever man and go home. Upon getting home and closer examination I realize that the reason for the non creaky back is because LG DIDN'T PUT THE BACK PLATE ON ALL THE WAY. It's literally hanging off on the corner. I snap it back into place and the creaks are back.

So. In short, now I have a device with weird battery, bad network problems, wonky touchscreen and I actually had to get a spudger and pull the back off and put a few pieces of tape by the volume button to fix the creak problem.

I'm reall dissapointed because i'm stuck with this phone for 2 years and I'm paying 70 dollars A month. I'm half minded to send excatly this to LG, but I doubt they'll do anything.

in closing; I'm sorry if this pushes away buyers of this phone. It's not my intention, as when this phone works I LOVE it. But i've been silent about my problems for too long.

What do you guys think I should/can do? Any one else getting these problems? Sorry again for the length/formatting. Our power could go any minute again and I want to get this out asap as i'm pretty frustrated.

Thanks for listening.
-Brandon Shea.

EDIT: Just a bit more information on the battery problem. We are talking about the device being 100% charged, I had 2x battery app installed for a while but this has been happening before and after that. Some weeks I'll have the phone off the charger for days, 30/40 hour battery use. 6/7hours screen on time. (never any games. I don't game on my phone ever.) And other times it'l be 2/3 hours screen on time and it's on 15%. It's really weird and i've tried restoring it. Twice. I've rooted my phone and be bloated using titanium backup. It made it a bit better but not much.

EDIT 2: I said Problems twice in the title. I'm not drunk, Promise.

Last edited:

Euan Tan

Feb 7, 2013
Visit site
weird battery... maybe a rogue app causing wakelocks? try restoring then just have the basic things for a day or two and see if the battery life is any different... Or try a full battery drain to reset it..(drain it to 0 and charge it to 100% while off)
As for the touchscreen I had the LG G2 for three months and I had like 4 occasions of wonky touchscreen (one time was cuz there was water on the screen and other one with dog hair) I turn the screen off then on and its back to usual. Idk about ur situation. sorry =/
The creaky backplate...umm try a case? I hope that helps..i dont hear mine do that..
I believe you got a lemon :( Does your dad's G2 do the same things?

Brandon Shea

Nov 27, 2013
Visit site
Thanks for the reply. No my dad's G2 performs perfectly will try to power drain it. It's just really frustrating that it 'passed inspection.' So even if I got a lemon, i'll never be able to...un-lemon it, haha.

anon(826501)

Jun 21, 2012
Visit site
Go to settings, Backup and reset, Factory data reset ? check out the screen shots? . When you download apps do it one at a time, check out if the app is running good, no lag, in your G2. If is good keep it, if it freaks the phone uninstall it. I'm sorry that you got all this problems with your G2.uploadfromtaptalk1388983795242.jpguploadfromtaptalk1388983820998.jpg

Sent from my LG-D800 using Tapatalk

Quis89

Q&A Team
Oct 15, 2009
Visit site
That sounds like some of the worst customer service I've ever heard. Why wouldn't they just exchange it under insurance for free? Or does Telus not offer insurance or something. You definitely got a lemon.

Brandon Shea

Nov 27, 2013
Visit site
Thanks for the answer man, but i've already factory reset it twice now. :/

- - - Updated - - -

It was over a month Quis89, so I had to go through LG. And they insisted it passed inspection. T_T

GibMcFragger

Dec 26, 2010
Visit site
You got a defective phone. I came from the iPhone 5s, and other than the camera being better on the 5s......I wouldn't go back if I could. The G2 outperforms it in every way (save for the camera).

Sent from my rooted and Xposed LG D803 on Rogers.

Brandon Shea

Nov 27, 2013
Visit site
these reply's are good, now I know My phone is a lemon. My problem is what can I do? LG has already stated it passed inspection and Telus won't do anything after a month. Am I stuck with a lemon for 2 years?

jmarkey77

Mar 16, 2012
Visit site
I learned this the hard way, not all apps are made right. So a factory reset and only add one app every few days until you find the culprit. My culprit on my old phone was a wifi tethering widget that was killing my battery. Odd I know.

Sent from my LG G2

Klotar

Jun 14, 2012
Visit site
For the battery, I lean towards an app also. Some apps, like Facebook, eBay, etc. use a lot of battery power updating themselves, as does Google Maps updating it's position constantly.

I know you have done factory resets previously to no avail. However, as suggested above, make sure that you don't allow previously installed apps to update automatically, or to allow google to restore your settings. Turn off auto updating of apps in the Play Store and turn off auto backup of data on Google servers prior to doing your reset. Don't worry, your contacts and calendar will still be backed up and sync'd. The auto backup referred to is for settings such as remembering Wi-Fi preferences and networks, etc. -- which you can re-do in seconds/minutes anyways.

Why disable auto updating and restore of data from Google servers? If one of those apps or one of the settings on the device is causing your issue, then doing a reset and restoring those apps and settings will restore your issue and you will be right back where you started from. Disable those settings, do a reset, and restore apps and re-do your settings one at a time and carefully.

Auto updating apps and restoring settings from Google servers works well when there are no issues, and you are switching from one device to another of the same model, but there are many instances of problems when switching between devices not of the same type. For example, I switched from a SGS3 to a G2 and although I was saved the inconvenience of setting up my Wi-Fi, among other settings, I had problems (including not being able to get the LED to work). I did a reset and allowed my settings and apps to update themselves, but I was no further ahead. I did another reset, and this time did not allow the settings and apps to update themselves and now the LED (native and using Light Flow) works.

I know it's very tempting after a reset to get your apps installed and be back and running ASAP, but IMO, it's best to take your time and see first if the issue is resolved after a fresh reset; and then if all is okay, set things back up the way you had it. The fact that the battery life is fine for the most part but then not so good occasionally will make this more difficult to troubleshoot, I realize. Good luck.

Brandon Shea

Nov 27, 2013
Visit site
Great answer Klotar, Thanks. I've deleted some things and it's looking better for today at least. 2hours screen on time with 82% left. The other problems still persist of course, but the tape on the back fixed the creaky issue. Does putting 5/6 thin layers of tape over the top of the battery hurt the device? That's what I was forced to do to get rid of the creaks.

TNCattleDog

Dec 21, 2013
Visit site
Bad battery life may be related to the signal issue. Stuck in 3g but trying to lock onto a 4g signal could possibly drain the battery. There is a setting in networks to change from "global" mode to LTE. Try that and see if it helps.

My wife and I both just recently got our G2's and we both get a solid two days battery with room to spare. I use mine more so a little less for me. We did notice the other day that my wife was getting voicemail notifications but not getting any calls. I rebooted the phone and thought that fixed it but it did it again today so were gonna keep an eye on that one.

I had previously used a Razr Maxx and though it got great battery life but the G2 is far superior to the Razr.

David

Brandon Shea

Nov 27, 2013
Visit site
Thanks for the replys everyone. My battery is still acting sporadic but i can deal with it. My question is what to do next? Should i call LG and raise hell or leave it be? Having a 700 dollar phone with tape on its back side just feels.. Sad

Sent from my LG-D803 using Tapatalk

Imarik81

Dec 22, 2013
Visit site
Sucks you are having such an issue with this phone. Personally it's one of the coolest things I've ever owned and I have the brand new AW 17..it's kinda like having a Lil AW that fits in my pocket.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

benhmadison

Mar 30, 2011
Visit site
Telus must do things backwards. Most carriers I have dealt with will just replace the device with a refurbished unit if it's within 1 year and it's still under manufacturers warranty. Take it back to Telus and demand they replace it. Don't let them screw you over. If they won't replace it just keep raising hell. It's the only way to get anywhere with carriers.

dragn4rce

May 27, 2013
Visit site
Telus must do things backwards. Most carriers I have dealt with will just replace the device with a refurbished unit if it's within 1 year and it's still under manufacturers warranty. Take it back to Telus and demand they replace it. Don't let them screw you over. If they won't replace it just keep raising hell. It's the only way to get anywhere with carriers.

↑ true sh*t right there. Don't let the carriers own you. You own them. You pay for their services. I would know being on VZW.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

lexfrancis

May 25, 2013
Visit site
I have the d802 version, yours might be different:

My g2 creeks, but only if I purposely try to bend it. I haven't had to send it back or anything, it's not noticeable.

I haven't had any problems with the battery life. It's been pretty good. It'll last from about 8:00 to 23:00 with heavy use every day (It does sound like you're being a little fussy there. You'd have to be extremely observant to notice sporadic battery life.)

I've seen threads about touch screen issues, but I haven't had any with mine.

My network doesn't even offer 4g yet (UK).

I bought mine off contract. I'll be paying less over 2 years than with a contract with my network. I think everyone should look around to see if it's worth buying outright, stop thinking of contracts as the normal route, because then you get problems like yours where you can't just sell it and buy a different phone.

Posted via Android Central App

Rogue360

Nov 3, 2013
Visit site
I would post your OP on LGs Facebook wall and on the LG forums. (If they have one?)

Nothing like a bit of bad social media to stir the pot and make them stand to attention.

Sent from my LG-D802 using Tapatalk

macbook5

Feb 16, 2013
Visit site
Bad battery life may be related to the signal issue. Stuck in 3g but trying to lock onto a 4g signal could possibly drain the battery. There is a setting in networks to change from "global" mode to LTE. Try that and see if it helps.

My wife and I both just recently got our G2's and we both get a solid two days battery with room to spare. I use mine more so a little less for me. We did notice the other day that my wife was getting voicemail notifications but not getting any calls. I rebooted the phone and thought that fixed it but it did it again today so were gonna keep an eye on that one.

I had previously used a Razr Maxx and though it got great battery life but the G2 is far superior to the Razr.

David

David, you mentioned your wife was having voicemail notifications without receiving phone calls. I have been having the same issues and sent in my phone for repair. It is a Samsung Note 3. While it was in being repaired I bought a brand new LG G2 from someone on kijiji (Canadian verision of Craigslist). (I love getting new phones and often have 4 or 5 of them) The LG G2 is an AWESOME PHONE. I daresay I am liking it better than the Note 3 in a lot of ways, but it I've only had it about 3 days so I am in the new gadget 'honeymoon' stage (LOL).
Anyways, today I had a call go straight to voicemail that I only found out about when my phone notified me of a new voicemail. I also just got my Note 3 back from being 'repaired' which I now am fairly certain really was a software issue or perhaps related to a 'bad app'.
SO, long story short, did you ever figure out what was causing it on your wife's phone? I would really love to know. I just did a factory reset and did not allow google to restore my phone. I have not downloaded any of the previous apps and will reinstall them one by one and wait a week or two in between until I find the problem. This is going to take soooo much time to finally download and be able to use the apps I am used to using. I am hoping your problem was solved and you might be able to give me some info that will help me with mine!
Thanks,
Cathy