car mount

techie5

Nov 26, 2013
Visit site
Looking for recommendations for a good car mount for the lgg2. Preferable the kind that can sit on the dash board. Thanks

Mikey47

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
Try ProClip. It's the best car mounting system ever. Expensive but worth it!
http://www.proclipusa.com

Posted via Android Central App

Yikes those ARE expensive. My suggestion is to buy a cheapo universal mount, a good car charger and away you go! You can get them at Walmart for $10.

My daughter bought me a cheapo one for Christmas last year when I had my HTC EVO 4G LTE, and I didn't need to spend a penny to have it work with my (awesome) G2.

Another big benefit of not having the charger integrated into the dock is that when you have a passenger who needs to charge their device they can just use the charger.

Of course you don't get the advantages of "car dock" mode on your phone, but that's not a big deal for me.

Just my $0.04 (inflation, ya know).

Sent from my LG-LS980 using AC Forums mobile app

Tahoe-Runner

Jan 10, 2014
Visit site
Hello Techie5,

iOttie, $19.95. Got my dashboard/window mount for my G2 online at Walmart, but many places sell them. It shows made to fit the Samsung Galaxy 2, 3 and s4, as well as the iPhone 5's. But I liked the way it looked, so I downloaded the Samsung specs, and low and behold, the dimensions are almost identicle for the LG G2, and it fits perfectly, even with/ or without/ the LG Quick Window Case on the G2.

Works great, had it now four weeks. Solid, adjustable, and you don't loose one of your dashboard air vents as part of the mounting process like some others . Suction cup holds a bowling ball. I have mine mounted on the center console, and has never lost grip to date. Mounting on glass works great also. Easy to insert and remove the G2 with quick insert and release buttons. Bottom adjustable bracket accommodates the micro USB cable into the G2 if charging is desired while in the mount. Tilts, turns horizontal, vertical, any angle you want.

Many styles and models, check out: iOttie.com
or this Link: iPhone 5 Car Mounts Cases Waterproof Skins Samsung Smartphone Stands

The particular model I am using for my LG G2 is shown below at this Amazon link, but many places sell them:

Model/Type: iOttie One Touch XL Windshield Dashboard Car Mount Holder for Galaxy S4/3/2

Amazon.com: iOttie One Touch XL Windshield Dashboard Car Mount Holder for Galaxy S4/3/2 - Retail Packaging - Black: Cell Phones & Accessories

A nice option to other expensive models, if price is a concern.

TahoeRunner
01/16/2014 at 1:30am PST

Last edited:

Tahoe-Runner

Jan 10, 2014
Visit site
When you use the iOttie mount, does the phone automatically switch to "car dock" mode?

Hello qz0xr3,

Not sure what you are identifying as "care dock" mode specifically when it comes to the LG G2, only speaking from my experience with my G2, there is no "car dock" mode within the G2, that I have found.

I see from your profile that you have a S2 Galaxy from Samsung, so maybe the S2 has something identified with that device as "car dock" mode? I can't comment about the S2.

This particular iOttie mount , does not initiate any type of "mode" within my G2 when mounted in this mount, nor are there any electrical connections as part of this mount at all. It is simply a mount for securely holding your device. Any/all "modes" or device activity you may want to initiate with your device while in this iOttie mount must originate from "other than the mount itself". (the physical holding configuration of your device while using this iOttie mount does allow for some external connections to be made to the device while in this mount, such as an external micro USB connection or earbuds, but again, the mount is only "a device mount" that holds your device, nothing more)

This particular iOttie mount is great for my LG G2, I have been using it now for about 2 months. Its mount to my vehicle's center console has never failed once, and the connection method of the mount to the device itself is very secure and easy to insert and remove from.

Price is less at some online retailers such as Amazon or Walmart, versus the manufacturers website listed below.

http://www.iottie.com/Product/ProductDetail.aspx?ProductID=947&ProductType=321

Hope this answers your question.

kindly,

TahoeRunner
2:31pm PST
02/10/2014

Last edited:

Mikey47

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
Quick question on the iOttie. Can you move the "feet" on the bottom so that you can use an Aux cable in the headphone jack?

Also, how does the "gel base" work in cold weather? I'm from Wisconsin and the silly suction cups drop off the glass overnight because it gets so darn cold...and any moisture between the plastic suction cup and the glass freezes and expands.

Tahoe-Runner

Jan 10, 2014
Visit site
Quick question on the iOttie. Can you move the "feet" on the bottom so that you can use an Aux cable in the headphone jack?

Also, how does the "gel base" work in cold weather? I'm from Wisconsin and the silly suction cups drop off the glass overnight because it gets so darn cold...and any moisture between the plastic suction cup and the glass freezes and expands.

Hello Mikey47

Yes, the two little feet at the bottom of the iOttie mount are adjustable, they can be moved "as one piece" from far left to far right, or anywhere in between. (there is a knob you can loosen and tighten to move the feet)

This is a really convenient feature because this adjustability permits the user to plug device compatible components into the bottom of the LG G2, (and I have to presume other brands of similarly sized devices as well such as Samsung), components such as the Aux cable for the headphone jack port, and the micro-USB cable end for the connect port used for charging and/or data transfer while using this iOttie mount in your vehicle.

Regarding the "gel base" you noted. I have mine mounted on the plastic center console of my vehicle. It has not broken loose yet, even while traveling in cold weather such as at Lake Tahoe. (maybe not as cold as Wisconsin, don't know about that, but Tahoe gets cold, had the winter Olympics here in 1960 :cool:). I tried removing the suction cup once initially to a better location on my console, and it is really hard to get it to release. Even using the release lever, it was an incredible hold, the best I've ever experienced with a suction cup hold. This isn't just a suction cup, it's some kind of "gel based cup" that really holds well. (I cleaned the mounting area beforehand with some rubbing alcohol to be safe, "not the suction cup itself", but the location where I wanted to mount the suction cup is where I cleaned) When they say it can hold a bowling ball, they mean it.

I experimented with an above dashboard windshield mount beforehand to get a feel for the strength of hold, and it appeared to me to hold just as great as where I ultimately ended up mounting the iOttie on my center console........however unfortunately I cannot report to you results of "overnight and long term use" of this mount on glass in "Wisconsin weather" as you noted.

However, again, I can say this is no typical suction cup. It is some kind of "gel based suction cup" that so far has proven to be superman strong. (as part of the kit, iOttie, the manufacturer, details how to clean the gel based suction cup with water as needed when remounting to maintain a strong grip each time)

see link for more details:

Ultimately because of this iOttie mount utilizing a "gel based suction cup", it is quite possible that the issue of trace amounts of moisture accumulating between the suction cup and the mounting surface is negated, and a strong seal will remain? I cannot confirm this one way or the other, since I have not experienced failure of the suction cup to date. I am in some cold damp weather at times, no failure as of yet.

There is a warranty that allows you to return the mount if not satisfied with its performance. (iOttie notes that this warranty applies if purchased from them, and not a "third party site", whatever that might be?) I bought mine through Walmart online, for "in-store" pickup, and it came with the manufacturer warranty included in the box. I believe Walmart would honor a return to their store if I was not completely satisfied with the purchase, and would probably return my money to me at the Walmart store directly, instead of me having to ship the product back to the manufacturer. That's my experience with Walmart purchases where I've made online purchases for "in-store" pickups, you get your money refunded from Walmart immediately and you don't have to mess around with shipping things back to manufacturers.

I hope this all helps you.

best regards,

TahoeRunner,
9:58pm PST
02/10/2014

Last edited:

qz0xr3

Jul 26, 2012
Visit site
Hi Tahoe-Runner,

Thanks for the response and my apologies if my question wasn't clear. You're right, currently, I have a Galaxy S2, but am looking at buying the LG G2 phone. With my Samsung phone, I use a Samsung mount. When the phone is mounted, it automatically launches "car mode", which among other things means that incoming text messages are read back to you, instead of the driver having to physically access the message to read it. I had seen on LG's website that they offer a navigation mount Navigation Mount for the Verizon LG G2, (VS980) | LG USA and according to the website, the phone "Automatically Launches Car mode When the Handset is Attached". My assumption was that meant that the G2 had a similar feature when mounted.

In any event, thanks again for the reply. The G2 sounds like a great phone.

Hello qz0xr3,

Not sure what you are identifying as "care dock" mode specifically when it comes to the LG G2, only speaking from my experience with my G2, there is no "car dock" mode within the G2, that I have found.

I see from your profile that you have a S2 Galaxy from Samsung, so maybe the S2 has something identified with that device as "car dock" mode? I can't comment about the S2.

This particular iOttie mount , does not initiate any type of "mode" within my G2 when mounted in this mount, nor are there any electrical connections as part of this mount at all. It is simply a mount for securely holding your device. Any/all "modes" or device activity you may want to initiate with your device while in this iOttie mount must originate from "other than the mount itself". (the physical holding configuration of your device while using this iOttie mount does allow for some external connections to be made to the device while in this mount, such as an external micro USB connection or earbuds, but again, the mount is only "a device mount" that holds your device, nothing more)

This particular iOttie mount is great for my LG G2, I have been using it now for about 2 months. Its mount to my vehicle's center console has never failed once, and the connection method of the mount to the device itself is very secure and easy to insert and remove from.

Price is less at some online retailers such as Amazon or Walmart, versus the manufacturers website listed below.

iOttie Easy One Touch XL Car Mount Holder for Galaxy Note 2

Hope this answers your question.

kindly,

TahoeRunner
2:31pm PST
02/10/2014

Mikey47

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
Thanks Tahoe-runner. I just ordered so, I'll report back on those questions you couldn't answer!

Tahoe-Runner

Jan 10, 2014
Visit site
Hi Tahoe-Runner,

Thanks for the response and my apologies if my question wasn't clear. You're right, currently, I have a Galaxy S2, but am looking at buying the LG G2 phone. With my Samsung phone, I use a Samsung mount. When the phone is mounted, it automatically launches "car mode", which among other things means that incoming text messages are read back to you, instead of the driver having to physically access the message to read it. I had seen on LG's website that they offer a navigation mount Navigation Mount for the Verizon LG G2, (VS980) | LG USA and according to the website, the phone "Automatically Launches Car mode When the Handset is Attached". My assumption was that meant that the G2 had a similar feature when mounted.

In any event, thanks again for the reply. The G2 sounds like a great phone.

Hey there qz0xr3 ,

Thanks for your update and info about the "car mode" that your Samsung activates when you place your device in the car mount. As you note, the "Verizon" version of the LG G2 apparently has software installed that provides a "car mode activation feature" when placed in the car mount Verizon offers (which I believe is made by LG itself).

However it appears (someone please correct me if wrong on this) that Verizon's version of the G2 is the only G2 in the USA that has this "car mode" feature. I have Sprint, and no car mode is available. I've googled others, Tmobile and AT&T also do not have "car mode". And there appears to be some issue with the Verizon "car mode" with some versions of the operating system 4.2.2 and/or earlier (pre KitKat os versions).....so please do yourself a favor and research "car mode" with current day versions of the Verizon LG G2 before you buy a G2, if "car mode" is an important feature for you. Also, if you find more current day info about "car mode", such as which carriers provide its feature, and how it works with various operating systems, please report back.........I'd like to know more about it, I'm sure other would too. Thanks.

Regarding the car mount I presented in this string previously from iOttie, it's a great mount for only about $19.95 when bought online at Walmart or Amazon, or for a few bucks more directly from iOttie.

(yep, and it fits the LG G2 with or without the G2 "quick view" case in use) see link:

(It most likely will not activate the "Verizon car mode" since it appears that "car mode" is activated on the requisite G2 by the placement of a small magnet located in the actual car mount itself during the manufacturing process)

I see other car mounts out there that may be equally as good as this iOttie, and relatively close in price. As well as some others out there that are four times more expensive. The old adage that says "You get what you pay for" is one I believe in, and rarely do you get something really good for a lessor amount of money. This iOttie mount is one of those situations.

And following up on your last statement about the G2, yep, it is a really great device.

The only thing I do not like about the G2 is, (and shame on the manufacturers, carriers, and OS developers at Google for this) is the fact that as "new" and "modern" as the G2 is, to date you cannot use the "Tap & Pay" system introduced by Google Wallet and ISIS. (at least not until the OS update "KitKat" is provided to the G2, and to date nobody can specifically state when that will be).

best regards,

TahoeRunner
3:35pm PST
02/11/2014

Last edited:

Tahoe-Runner

Jan 10, 2014
Visit site
Thanks Tahoe-runner. I just ordered so, I'll report back on those questions you couldn't answer!

Hi Mikey47,

Yep, please report back what you experience when you get your new iOttie car mount for your G2.

Curious if this iOttie "gel based suction cup" will hold up to the rigors of "Wisconsin weather" and the issue you experience of "super cold window glass", and "slight moisture build up" between previous car mount suction cups and the window glass, causing mounting failures.

Thanks......

TahoeRunner
3:20pm PST
02/11/2014

scottcraft

Jan 30, 2013
Visit site
@Tahoe-Runner slightly off topic, but the Verizon G2 does support Isis tap and pay. Also thanks for the link, that looks like a good car dock.

Tahoe-Runner

Jan 10, 2014
Visit site
@Tahoe-Runner slightly off topic, but the Verizon G2 does support Isis tap and pay. Also thanks for the link, that looks like a good car dock.

Hi scottcraft,

(yep, off topic here, but worthwhile info)

Thanks for your post regarding the Verizon G2 supporting ISIS and Tap & Pay.
(lots of speculation, theory, and wrong information out there, also lots of people out there who are reporting on this subject who don't have personal experience with the G2 and the Tap & Pay system, and therefore please, only accurate information and clarification is needed for "all" G2 users)

Some Questions:

1- Are you positively confirming, beyond the shadow of a doubt, through your own personal experience with your Verizon LG G2, that the current Verizon USA version of the LG G2, "today", does in fact work with the Tap & Pay system of ISIS?

2 - If "yes" to number 1, What version OS does your Verizon G2 currently have installed that works with ISIS?

3 - What is your experience like with ISIS and the Tap & Pay system on your personal Verizon LG G2?

Since we are off-subject with this topic at this string,
Please, only answers that are specific and relevant to these three questions are very much appreciated.

No speculation please, we've seen enough of that with "this" topic of Tap & Pay and the LG G2.

Cheers,

TahoeRunner
6:00pm PST
02/11/2014

Last edited:

scottcraft

Jan 30, 2013
Visit site

Hi scottcraft,

(yep, off topic here, but worthwhile info)

Thanks for your post regarding the Verizon G2 supporting ISIS and Tap & Pay.
(lots of speculation, theory, and wrong information out there, also lots of people out there who are reporting on this subject who don't have personal experience with the G2 and the Tap & Pay system, and therefore please, only accurate information and clarification is needed for "all" G2 users)

Some Questions:

1- Are you positively confirming, beyond the shadow of a doubt, through your own personal experience with your Verizon LG G2, that the current Verizon USA version of the LG G2, "today", does in fact work with the Tap & Pay system of ISIS?

2 - If "yes" to number 1, What version OS does your Verizon G2 currently have installed that works with ISIS?

3 - What is your experience like with ISIS and the Tap & Pay system on your personal Verizon LG G2?

Since we are off-subject with this topic at this string,
Please, only answers that are specific and relevant to these three questions are very much appreciated.

No speculation please, we've seen enough of that with "this" topic of Tap & Pay and the LG G2.

Cheers,

TahoeRunner
6:00pm PST
02/11/2014

Yes, I've used Isis to tap and pay at McDonald's and CVS with my G2. I'll attach a screenshot of my os version.

It seems fairly easy to use. I wish Isis supported more debit cards though. Also tap to pay terminals are limited here in southwest Louisiana.
hutyseby.jpg

Tahoe-Runner

Jan 10, 2014
Visit site
Yes, I've used Isis to tap and pay at McDonald's and CVS with my G2. I'll attach a screenshot of my os version.

It seems fairly easy to use. I wish Isis supported more debit cards though. Also tap to pay terminals are limited here in southwest Louisiana. http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/02/12/hutyseby.jpg

Hi scottcraft,

Thanks for your info regarding your Verizon G2 and using it with ISIS Tap and Pay. This is good news.

However you did not post what "software Android version operating system" are you running on your G2 that uses Tap and Pay?

I think you posted your "hardware" info by mistake.

thanks,

TahoeRunner
10:42pm PST
2/11/2014

Last edited:

scottcraft

Jan 30, 2013
Visit site

Hi scottcraft,

Thanks for your info regarding your Verizon G2 and using it with ISIS Tap and Pay. This is good news.

However you did not post what "software Android version operating system" are you running on your G2 that uses Tap and Pay?

I think you posted your "hardware" info by mistake.

thanks,

TahoeRunner
10:42pm PST
2/11/2014

Here's the right picture.
3e6y4e8a.jpg

qz0xr3

Jul 26, 2012
Visit site
TahoeRunner,

Thanks for the reply and additional information. I'm also on Sprint, so your input is even more appreciated. Not a big deal, but have to say that I do find it convenient at times to have car mode enabled. Oh well.