Using icon packs without using 3rd party launcher?

Brandon Shea

Nov 27, 2013
Visit site
Hey guys, title pretty much says it all, i want to install an icon pack but the ones i have downloaded only let me use them with launchers. Is there a way without a launcher?

Sent from my LG-D803 using Tapatalk

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Nope, you either need root and manually replace the icons (or a modified launcher) or a third party launcher that allows you to install icon packs.

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
OK, if you're rooted, then you could modify the icon files manually (not an overly complicated process, but not easy or quick...it's basically 'brute force'). However, I'm not sure which files contain the icons or if you need to modify each icon. I'm sure others could help with this? Or try searching the forums for 'manually changing icon files' or something, maybe? Sorry I can't be of much help :( (I'm holding off on rooting until my warranty expires :p hehe)

dlh

Sep 6, 2010
Visit site
No need to root. Download ThemeX from the play store. Download the icon pack you want, open the pack using Themes. Save the icons you want to use.

On your g2, long press an icon on your home screen until you get the edit icon. Tap the edit icon. Choose photo, size, and choice of icon.

Simple.

Posted via Android Central App

momohenri

Jun 22, 2014
Visit site
You can also use Awesome Icons (free) from the play store to use icon packs without 3rd party launcher or rooting.

Using the app is quite simple; just download the icon packs you want to use, then open the app and click on whichever icons you want to create as shortcuts. Since it works without root, this only affects shortcuts on your home screen, not in the app drawer.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akbarramadhani12