Retrieving pictures and data from phone with broken screen?

jfdrums

Jan 22, 2014
Visit site
Hi,
I have an LG G2 with a cracked screen. I have my replacement phone, but before I send this broken one back I'd like to retrieve my pictures and voice memos and such. The problem is the screen is unresponsive and I can't get past the lock screen to put the phone in the correct mode to transfer files, so my computer won't see it. Any suggestions?
Thanks.

jfdrums

Jan 22, 2014
Visit site
When I brought it to the store, the machine they have won't bypass the lock screen either. When I connect to my cpu, it doesn't read anything because I need to put the phone is storage mode, and since I can't get past the lock screen, I can't do that.
I'm hoping someone knows a way to either have my computer read the contents of the phone without needing the phone to be in a certain mode, or if someone knows how to reboot the phone to factory settings, without erasing the contents of the internal memory. A long shot, I know, but I figure it is worth a try.

LGElectronics

Mar 1, 2013
Visit site
Hello,

Sorry to hear of your dilemma; unfortunately, there would not be another way to retrieve the contents on your phone without you having backed the device up either via Google, Dropbox, etc.

Sorry we could not help any further.

^CL

Gunnyman

Apr 10, 2010
Visit site
If you have adb access : adb /sdcard/* will pull everything stored in internal storage from the phone.

Posted via Android Central App

Paddy Landau

Apr 9, 2013
Visit site
Did you enable Android Device Manager?

Alternatively, look at Android Lost from the Play Store. I believe that you can install it remotely from your PC and recover your data. I've not tried it in that mode, so I can't promise that it will work, but it's worth a try.

Last edited:

heading4tomorrow

May 21, 2013
Visit site
Wow, amazing example of the usefulness of SD card / removable storage, and would be a whole lot stronger argument compared to google's "app compatibility, security and oh well just because we feel like it" argument.....

I guess the best thing for everyone to do is to make sure your phone is set to USB MTP or USB PTP and Ask Upon Connection is unchecked.
Oh while you guys are at it, I strongly recommend using Dropbox and having all pictures uploaded to DB. I have this, and all my videos & pictures get sent to my laptop immediately.

I know this is too late, but I hope everyone can learn a bit from your unfortunate example.

Gekko

Banned
May 15, 2010
Visit site
Wow, amazing example of the usefulness of SD card / removable storage, and would be a whole lot stronger argument compared to google's "app compatibility, security and oh well just because we feel like it" argument.....

I guess the best thing for everyone to do is to make sure your phone is set to USB MTP or USB PTP and Ask Upon Connection is unchecked.
Oh while you guys are at it, I strongly recommend using Dropbox and having all pictures uploaded to DB. I have this, and all my videos & pictures get sent to my laptop immediately.

I know this is too late, but I hope everyone can learn a bit from your unfortunate example.

Internal RAM is much, much faster and secure than SD Cards. i'll take speed and security over idi0t-proofing.

heading4tomorrow

May 21, 2013
Visit site
Internal RAM is much, much faster and secure than SD Cards. i'll take speed and security over idi0t-proofing.

Sure, it makes a lot of difference when you are taking cellphone pictures and listening to music.

And you can always encrypt the SD if you are worried someone is going to steal your SD and look at the pictures of your cats and listen to your music.

Your apps can stay on internal STORAGE not RAM by the way.
Most phones have only 1 GB RAM. More recent ones 2GB.

Sent from my LG-D800

Gekko

Banned
May 15, 2010
Visit site
Sure, it makes a lot of difference when you are taking cellphone pictures and listening to music.

And you can always encrypt the SD if you are worried someone is going to steal your SD and look at the pictures of your cats and listen to your music.

Your apps can stay on internal STORAGE not RAM by the way.
Most phones have only 1 GB RAM. More recent ones 2GB.

Sent from my LG-D800

1. to be clearer i should have said Internal STORAGE and not Internal RAM.
2. my experience is that the phone and Apps operate faster when there is no slow SD Card bottleneck to have to access.
3. i'm not worried about picture and music. i'm worried about confidential documents and information and the SD Card as a SECURITY HOLE.
4. Encrypt an SD Card? does that slow things down even more? hassle? no thanks.
5. my Nexus 5 has 16GB with about 12GB free of Internal Storage. plenty for me but there's a 32GB if not.

i'll stick with Internal Storage.

powell_bd

Apr 14, 2011
Visit site
1. to be clearer i should have said Internal STORAGE and not Internal RAM.
Yes.

2. my experience is that the phone and Apps operate faster when there is no slow SD Card bottleneck to have to access.
This is not true for my tablet (Asus TF300T) that has very slow internal storage, but SD card reader is pretty fast.

3. i'm not worried about picture and music. i'm worried about confidential documents and information and the SD Card as a SECURITY HOLE.
So how would you deal with the problem the OP has - your phone's screen is broken, you cannot access (and delete) your sensitive data and you must give the phone to somebody. In theory, someone can easilly pull your data from the broken phone.

Gekko

Banned
May 15, 2010
Visit site
So how would you deal with the problem the OP has - your phone's screen is broken, you cannot access (and delete) your sensitive data and you must give the phone to somebody. In theory, someone can easilly pull your data from the broken phone.

Android Device Manager-->Erase

heading4tomorrow

May 21, 2013
Visit site
Android Device Manager-->Erase
--> Lose all your data.

Solution: Back up everything to the cloud (What google wants everyone to do)
Better Solution: Keep the damn SD card support in place.

Encryption does not cause anything to slow down, and once again we are talking about pictures, videos, documents, etc.. Not apps.
But it seems like you are convinced that nobody should use SD or nobody needs removable storage.. while we merely suggest that manufacturers keep the SD card in there. People who don't like, don't have to use it.

Gekko

Banned
May 15, 2010
Visit site
--> Lose all your data.

Solution: Back up everything to the cloud (What google wants everyone to do)
Better Solution: Keep the damn SD card support in place.

Encryption does not cause anything to slow down, and once again we are talking about pictures, videos, documents, etc.. Not apps.
But it seems like you are convinced that nobody should use SD or nobody needs removable storage.. while we merely suggest that manufacturers keep the SD card in there. People who don't like, don't have to use it.

NO - "I" don't lose my data because i'm smart enough to use Google Services and Dropbox.

people can use whatever they want - SD Cards, Floppy Disks, Cassette Tapes - i don't care. i don't cling to old paradigms. in the end - the free market will ultimately decide what is offered.

Paddy Landau

Apr 9, 2013
Visit site
Speaking only for me (YMMV), I would encrypt all data, ensure that I always had backups, and set Android Device as a device administrator.

That makes the data secure against theft, loss and damage. Of course, it is entirely my responsibility to hold up-to-date backups.

Android 4.4 currently allows encryption, but at a large cost to convenience; I have read that Google is already working on making it more convenient. When that is solved, I shall encrypt the phone.

To me, this is the best compromise between tight security and convenience.

heading4tomorrow

May 21, 2013
Visit site
NO - "I" don't lose my data because i'm smart enough to use Google Services and Dropbox.
people can use whatever they want - SD Cards, Floppy Disks, Cassette Tapes - i don't care. i don't cling to old paradigms. in the end - the free market will ultimately decide what is offered.

People cannot use whatever they want if it is not an option on their device, sadly.
You are not just being "smart enough" to use cloud storage, you are being forced to use them, there is a difference. If you had removable storage and still used google, that would make it "by choice".

If your Nexus had two models, exact same price, exact same specs, one with removable battery, removable storage and one without, and you bought the one without, than that would make you the fighter of the cause to go cloud. Since they marketed nexus well below market price to attract people, most people suddenly became a fan of cloud storage..

Paddy Landau

Apr 9, 2013
Visit site
Since they marketed nexus well below market price to attract people, most people suddenly became a fan of cloud storage..
True words, although "fan" may not be quite the right word.

But remember that you can connect your Nexus to your computer with a USB cord or, if you install the right apps, Bluetooth or WiFi, and back up like that. So, there are non-cloud options even without removable storage.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chelrie