Problematic Battery Life... or better said HORRIBLE!?!

Shotgun.4

Jan 26, 2012
Visit site
Hey,

Ok so first things first, ive had my G2 for about 2 months now. Battery was never the best, im not sure why but ill tell you what i think may be a few factors in the battery life in a bit. I Usually get 3.5 MAYBE 4 hours of screen time if im lucky! Some times i get less the 3 with moderate use.... Now this morning i got up and i unpluged the phone from the charger. Obviously it was at 100%... for a lil anyways... I had a few push notifications when i turned my data on, opened my clash of clans aha got a nice raid in ... i was on that for 15 min... Now i open my empire four kingdoms.. was on that for 4 min 15 seconds... In total my device told me i had the screen on for 21 min after checking emails ... 50 min on battery... IT HAD DROPPED 21%!!!! From 100% to 79%...

I dont know why in 40 min of screen time the battery is gone ... where it go ... i sure dont know...

Now i normally have to charge my phone 3-4 times a day because it wont make it threw out the day , not even from 8am-2pm... Normally i take it off charge at 8, its at about 30% by 11, so i charge it then... after that it goes till about 2:30-3 where again its down to 30%, i charge it again where it will sometimes make it till 8pm, charge again, where then it goes till about 10:30 where it then sits to charge for the night. And it starts all over again , and this is with moderate use , 0% brightness and following features listed below...

I Always have off -------- brightness down to 0% 24/7 , Wi/Fi ALWAYS off, Bluetooth off, Slide Aside feature, NFC, QSlide, Quick Memo, GPS
I Always Have On -------- 4G Data, Vibration, Auto-rotate screen, Auto sync, Snapdragons Battery Guru ( which i think dose crap all for the phone) and Steam ( run in ongoing services )

A problem that may be draining the battery... Im with Wind and i dont always have the best service, i normally have 1 to 3 bars, maybe 2-3 times it has to research for a signal, would this drain the battery a lot??

Anyways looking for some answers to why this may be happening?? i will update this thread with pics as the day goes on so you guys can see....

Any help would be greatly appreciated...Thanks

dancing-bass

Jan 3, 2011
Visit site
Switch to to 2G when you're not actively using your phone for data. Use Wifi whenever possible. (Turn it on when you need it, but if it's off you won't know when you've picked up an open wifi available to use). Turn off vibration unless you absolutely need it. Check all your apps - if a lot of them push notifications to your phone, that will be a big draw as they poll the servers for updates. Social media apps and weather apps are usually the worst, but games can also do this. Turn the time between updates down. For example - AccuWeather by default polls every 15 minutes. The max you can set it to is 60 minutes, but really 2 hours would be fine too. Same with Facebook and Twitter - turn down the notification interval to 2 hours or more if you can.

The biggest thing from what I can gather is your signal strength - the weaker the signal your phone sees, the more juice it will draw. The radio stack inside your phone will draw more current from the battery as it desperately tries to pull in a weak signal. Which is why if you can use Wifi, do it. Same thing for switching to 2G whenever you can. 2G is generally less crowded plus has a better transmission level (it's easier for your phone to pull in 2G then 4G) which will help your battery.

Turn off location services completely unless you rely on apps that use geo-location. In which case, turn off the phone's GPS and just allow the network to use your general location (sounds like you do this, but I'll repeat it)

As well screen on time is an indicator of what is using your battery, but it's not everything. 10 minutes of screen on in an online game that uses a lot of graphics and CPU will drain your battery life a LOT more then 10 minutes of reading emails - simply because not only is the screen on but the phone is working hard to keep the games running smoothly.

Also, when you're done with an app, close it out completely. Use your app switcher and swipe them away when you're done - just so there's less stuff sitting in the background using juice when you're not using it. The possible exceptions are apps you'll be going back to often - but if is something you check once or twice during the day, close it completely and swipe it away.

If you're rooted (you didn't say one way or the other) there are a number of apps to help you with controlling your device. Greenify forces apps that you specify to hibernate - basically sleep and not use processor or data - until you use them. Once you are done with an app and close it completely, it will go back into hibernation until you use it again.

ES Task Manager also has a start-up manager that will prevent apps from even starting up when you power up the phone. They will remain completely closed, not doing anything until, you open it. There is some argument to doing this but I use it for apps that I rarely use - as in once a week or less - and have found it helps my battery life.

disney4life2005

Oct 2, 2012
Visit site
I agree with everything dancing bass said. I also suggest using the wake lock app. Also when charging your phone at least every other time, turn it off to charge. I get 14 hours out of a day with 3.5 hours of screen time average on my G2.

Posted from my Lg G2 over Sprint in Orlando

Shotgun.4

Jan 26, 2012
Visit site
Thank you so much on the great input , a few problems here... I am unable to find the settings where to change the time of push sync , and also im not sure my G2 version is able to root otherwise i would... i would loveto be able to install a few aps that i know of that disable quite a few things that save battery life. ... also its its model # LG-D801 im not sure it has root, or dose it??

thanks

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! Here's a guide on battery saving tips: http://forums.androidcentral.com/am...how-tos/298919-guide-battery-saving-tips.html

You can see what your signal has been like by going to Settings>Battery and looking at the graph--if you see a lot of red, signal has been bad, which can sap battery. Also tap "Cell Standby", which will tell you the percent time without signal--the higher the number, the more battery drain.

I would caution against trying to kill apps constantly, because many apps will restart on their own--that's just how Android works. Killing apps and having them automatically restart can take battery in itself. Check out this article: RAM: What it is, how it's used, and why you shouldn't care | Android Central

dancing-bass

Jan 3, 2011
Visit site
Thank you so much on the great input , a few problems here... I am unable to find the settings where to change the time of push sync , and also im not sure my G2 version is able to root otherwise i would... i would loveto be able to install a few aps that i know of that disable quite a few things that save battery life. ... also its its model # LG-D801 im not sure it has root, or dose it??

thanks

a few seconds with Google search tells me that it's possible to root your phone, and there's a guide to it to help you through it:

[ROOT] Root your G2 [ATT|VZW|TMO|KT|RGS|BELL|TELUS|OPEN] [Yay!] - xda-developers

NOW HOLD ON!

Before you go clicking and doing stuff to your phone, STOP! B.Diddy posted some excellent links and I HIGHLY RECOMMEND reading through those and trying everything in those guides before doing anything else.

ALSO here are some more articles to read:

Editorial: Sometimes, root isn’t the answer | Android Central
and
Rooting - is it for me? Some Q&A | Android Central

Just in case you didn't get the picture, rooting your phone allows you to "brick" it - or turn it into a very expensive piece of plastic and glass. It WILL void your warranty - meaning if you experience problems, the phone doesn't boot, something doesn't work properly afterword - you have no warranty, and trying to claim warranty is fraudulent activity. Let me be clear, if you are still not sure if it's worth the risks - just don't do it.

Summary: read, read, read some more. ask questions, and then read some more. Study the rooting guides fully before even attempting it. Read them over and over and over, know what stuff you need to do on your computer, and what stuff you need to do on your phone. Know which menus you need. And finally - (IF you decide to root) give yourself a lot of time. If you're not comfortable with computers and digging into menus on your phone, just stop. If you insist on rooting your phone give yourself a LOT of time. Hours. Why? because chances are something won't go right the first time and you'll need to get help or time to figure it out on your own.

That being said, if you're comfortable, rooting can be a very good thing. It does really open up a lot of functionality, but there are risks - and the first time rooting a device can be time consuming.

Good luck (again) and have fun

roneill

Oct 14, 2012
Visit site
I am a long time HTC ONE user and just got the LG G2. I noticed that the battery was amazing until I installed the Snapdragon BattergyGuru app. I read through some of the reviews for the app and found several people who have problems with the LG G2 and BatteryGuru. I just uninstalled it.

Mikey47

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
I am a long time HTC ONE user and just got the LG G2. I noticed that the battery was amazing until I installed the Snapdragon BattergyGuru app. I read through some of the reviews for the app and found several people who have problems with the LG G2 and BatteryGuru. I just uninstalled it.

Tried using that app, but found it seemed to be using more battery than it saved - I uninstalled as well and my battery life went back K to what it was previously.

I now have a foolproof method for when my G2 starts eating through my battery really fast - just restart the phone. I've tried using battery monitors to look at wake locks, etc. 95% of the time I was unable to find anything, but a simple restart would fix it.

Sent from my LG-LS980 using AC Forums mobile app