LG G2: How bad is the UI really?

IdemanEric

Jan 27, 2014
Visit site
I am using an HTC One and have been thinking about the G2 for a little bigger screen, however most of the reviews and my own brief time playing with the UI seem to suggest that it is "bloated" and full of junk. Anyone have an opinion or is anyone using a third party launcher to solve the cluttered UI issue? If so, does it slow down your experience?

Last edited by a moderator:

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site
Re: How bad is the UI really?

I am using an HTC One and have been thinking about the G2 for a little bigger screen, however most of the reviews and my own brief time playing with the UI seem to suggest that it is "bloated" and full of junk. Anyone have an opinion or is anyone using a third party launcher to solve the cluttered UI issue? If so, does it slow down your experience?

It's similar to Samsung's TouchWiz, but with a different color scheme.
Most people just use a launcher to cover up the home screens and app drawer. It shouldn't slow anything down :)

Posted via Android Central App

six8

Apr 28, 2012
Visit site

Better than touch wiz imo. Liking this thing way better than my Note 3 or S4. Screen ans battery are awesome!

Sent from my LG-D801 using Tapatalk

mike31082

Jul 26, 2010
Visit site

I switched from an EVO LTE about a week ago and the UI is probably the worst part about the phone. Not that the phone is actually suffers performance wise from it, but there are just so many things that are changed and different coming from Sense, that feels so awkward. Like the fact you can't long press the home button to bring up Google Now (press and swipe up from the home button), or the fact that the Menu button is actually on the bottom navigation bar, it makes it really odd when in apps.

Otherwise it's a great phone.

SactoKingsFan

Nov 1, 2013
Visit site

I also think the LG skin is better than TouchWiz. Not quite as bloated and looks nicer. And most of the things people complain about (notification area, status bar, bloatware, lack of recent soft key, etc.) can be easily modified if you end up rooting the phone.

Sent from my rooted LG-G2 using Tapatalk

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site

I switched from an EVO LTE about a week ago and the UI is probably the worst part about the phone. Not that the phone is actually suffers performance wise from it, but there are just so many things that are changed and different coming from Sense, that feels so awkward. Like the fact you can't long press the home button to bring up Google Now (press and swipe up from the home button), or the fact that the Menu button is actually on the bottom navigation bar, it makes it really odd when in apps.

Otherwise it's a great phone.

That doesn't make it odd, that makes it different. Menu button, and swiping up from home to get GNow is like that on stock android. So it's really the HTC phones that Barr odd :p

anon(826501)

Jun 21, 2012
Visit site

Former HTC ONE owner, current phone LG G2 stock on AT&T. I use Holo Launcher HD on my LG G2, by far the fastest launcher on a SpeedDragon 800 processor.

Sent from my LG-D800 using Tapatalk

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site

Former HTC ONE owner, current phone LG G2 stock on AT&T. I use Holo Launcher HD on my LG G2, by far the fastest launcher on a SpeedDragon 800 processor.

Just for future reference. It's SnapDragon 800 :)

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site

You're right and and this SnapDragon 800 is pure speed. Go for the G2 it's a great phone.

I'm assuming that was meant for OP :p
I already have a phone. Only has the SD600 :(

anon(826501)

Jun 21, 2012
Visit site

That means it's not a G2. Its the S4 :p

Ok, I see, you know I used to be a Blackberry Bold fan, 9700, 9780, 9800 and 9900 then I go for Android; HTC ONE X, HTC ONE X+, HTC ONE and now the G2. Maybe this year I'am going to buy the Samsung Galaxy S5 or just buy the LG G3. I'am going to read very carefully about those two. No more HTC for me.

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site

Ok, I see, you know I used to be a Blackberry Bold fan, 9700, 9780, 9800 and 9900 then I go for Android; HTC ONE X, HTC ONE X+, HTC ONE and now the G2. Maybe this year I'am going to buy the Samsung Galaxy S5 or just buy the LG G3. I'am going to read very carefully about those two. No more HTC for me.

And no more Samsung for me. I love this phone, but I'd much rather have stock android out of the box. I'm sticking with Moto or the nexus line from now on

anon(826501)

Jun 21, 2012
Visit site

And no more Samsung for me. I love this phone, but I'd much rather have stock android out of the box. I'm sticking with Moto or the nexus line from now on

Nexus 5 is made by LG. A friend got the Moto X, you just talk and that phone make things.

rclifton

Feb 4, 2012
Visit site

I would say use it for a couple days and you might be surprised. In the last 8 months I've had a S4, Note 3, Nexus 5 and now the G2. I have always in the past rooted and loaded a custom rom soon after purchase. This is the first phone in a long time that I haven't even bothered to root yet, as I can do just about everything I want right out of the box. In my opinion the overlay on the G2 is much more thought out then touchwiz and other similar overlays. You can use themes with the stock launcher, theme the keyboard and some of the inbuilt apps. There are to many little features built into everything to list them all but if you head over to this post and read up you will see just how many useful little touches there are in the stock rom. LG G2 delightful discoveries - xda-developers

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site

Nexus 5 is made by LG. A friend got the Moto X, you just talk and that phone make things.

Yeah I know. A lot of people think Moto is making the next Nexus though, which should be interesting :eek:

anon(826501)

Jun 21, 2012
Visit site

Yeah I know. A lot of people think Moto is making the next Nexus though, which should be interesting :eek:

I read that Google bought Moto, so that's explain that Nexus 6 is going to be a Moto made Nexus. That's good.

rclifton

Feb 4, 2012
Visit site

I read that Google bought Moto, so that's explain that Nexus 6 is going to be a Moto made Nexus. That's good.

Google bought Motorola well over 2 years ago, there hasn't been a Moto made Nexus yet and I don't see that changing in the foreseeable future.

anon(826501)

Jun 21, 2012
Visit site

Google bought Motorola well over 2 years ago, there hasn't been a Moto made Nexus yet and I don't see that changing in the foreseeable future.

2 years ago, wao I'am late on this Google Motorola thing. So maybe we can expect the next Nexus 6 is going to be a LG as Nexus 5. Thanks for the information. I got the LG G2 and this year I'am thinking to go with the Samsung Galaxy S5 or the LG G3. Let's see when this two arrives at AT&T. Thanks again.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MarcosVo