Data sync causing lag??

Sincs

Oct 25, 2012
Visit site
I've noticed that whenever my G2 starts data syncing (i.e. the little circular arrows icon appears in the notification bar) my phone slows down.

It's most noticeable when returning from an app to my home screen with 4 or 5 widgets on it... It takes about a second to redraw/load the widgets. Also, while the sync is taking place the phone is generally slower doing most things, especially typing... words appear a second or so after typing them.
As soon as the data sync has finished and the icon has gone the phone returns to its normal speed as is lag free again.

Anyone else experiencing this?? And what is it even syncing?? I don't use the stock email, calendar etc.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
You can see what Google apps are set to sync by going to Settings>Accounts-Google>[your Google account]. Things can slow down during syncing with lesser hardware (my Asus TF300 really slows to a crawl when a sync is occurring) , but you're right, I would have guessed that the G2's hardware could handle it without a hitch.

Sincs

Oct 25, 2012
Visit site
You can see what Google apps are set to sync by going to Settings>Accounts-Google>[your Google account]. Things can slow down during syncing with lesser hardware (my Asus TF300 really slows to a crawl when a sync is occurring) , but you're right, I would have guessed that the G2's hardware could handle it without a hitch.

Ah thanks for this. Didn't realise you could drill down like that. Loads of stuff syncing for me... about 15 apps. I'll switch some off and see how it goes.

Thanks again.

Sincs

Oct 25, 2012
Visit site
Ok, the problem isn't fully solved. Things are definitely better but the auto sync process has lengthened out again, up to approx. 5 mins, which is draining a good 5%.

I've gone into Settings - Accounts and turned off Auto sync totally but the data sync icon stayed in the notification bar. It did disappear after a couple of minutes.

Is there anything else that causes this sync icon to appear.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
To see if it's a Google app that's taking that long to sync, you could open up that same Settings>Accounts-Google>[your Google account] screen, and watch the sync as it's happening. There should be an animated sync icon next to the component that is currently syncing. That might help you narrow down which Google app seems to be taking so long to sync, or otherwise figure out if there is some other non-Google app that is taking a while to sync.

Sincs

Oct 25, 2012
Visit site
I've only left sync app data ticked in Google apps, everything else is unchecked.

For non Google apps.. I've only got Exchange contacts and Touchdown contacts ticked.

It's a weird one, seems as though my phone is working very hard even though its only syncing a couple of apps.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Maybe it's some kind of backup software. What wireless provider do you have? Verizon always throws in their annoying Backup Assistant Plus software onto all of their phones, so if you unwittingly set it up earlier, that sync icon might represent Backup Assistant working.

Sincs

Oct 25, 2012
Visit site
Maybe it's some kind of backup software. What wireless provider do you have? Verizon always throws in their annoying Backup Assistant Plus software onto all of their phones, so if you unwittingly set it up earlier, that sync icon might represent Backup Assistant working.

Backup my data was checked in Backup & Reset. This is backing up to Google, and I've switched it off now. Can't find anything that is backing up to my network provider, only other option is LG's offering which was already off.

Did consider backup being the problem but doubted it as this data sync seems to be happening quite frequently i.e. 4-5 times a day, maybe even more. Would backup be performing so frequently?

Not sure if it's coincidence but sync seems to happen mainly after making a call or when arriving in a signal area from a non signal area. Although maybe I'm just noticing it more in those scenarios as I tend to look at my phone more at those times.

Do you have. Keep synced?

What's that? Is that a setting or an app?

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Strange. Shouldn't be taking that long to sync for a Nexus 5. My older devices (like my Asus Transformer TF300) can take a while to sync, but my Nexus 5 and Nexus 7 sync lickety-split. Wish I could give you a better solution. Maybe the Exchange or Touchdown Contacts are the culprit--can you try disabling those?

greyhd was referring to Google Keep, but I doubt that's the culprit either.

Sincs

Oct 25, 2012
Visit site
Think I may have narrowed it down to play store background data. Just noticed that background data usage for play store over the past couple of days has been at almost 500mb.
I don't have auto update of apps enabled so not sure why it's been using that amount.

Today has been by far the phone's worst performance. Battery drain has been shocking, slow charge time, stupid amounts of lag across most of the phone, and it's been running very hot.

Anyway, I cleared play store's cache and data, and removed and reinstalled the play store update and things seemed to have improved again. No lags, normal temp etc.

Fingers crossed problem solved.

Sincs

Oct 25, 2012
Visit site
Signs are looking good. Went to bed (I'm in the UK) with a fully charged battery... 7.5 hours later... battery is still at 100%!

Sincs

Oct 25, 2012
Visit site
The problem is back, and it's definitely Play Store causing it.

For the past 45 mins the phone has been lagging, heating up and lost 30% battery. Checked data stats and play store used 56mb of background data during this 45mins.

I guess I could block it from using background data, but what effect would this have... No update notifications etc??

Hmmmm... any other suggestions???

greyhd

Sep 1, 2011
Visit site
Keep is Google's version of Evernote. It's also one of the main apps that can cause lag if you have it synced.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
The problem is back, and it's definitely Play Store causing it.

For the past 45 mins the phone has been lagging, heating up and lost 30% battery. Checked data stats and play store used 56mb of background data during this 45mins.

I guess I could block it from using background data, but what effect would this have... No update notifications etc??

Hmmmm... any other suggestions???

Try turning off the automatic things in the Play Store--i.e., Notifications and Auto-Update apps. Maybe those functions are making it work inappropriately overtime checking for updated apps. Also, have you tried Force Closing the Play Store in the Settings>Apps​ menu? Then open the Play Store again, and see if this "reset" does anything.

Sincs

Oct 25, 2012
Visit site
Try turning off the automatic things in the Play Store--i.e., Notifications and Auto-Update apps. Maybe those functions are making it work inappropriately overtime checking for updated apps. Also, have you tried Force Closing the Play Store in the Settings>Apps​ menu? Then open the Play Store again, and see if this "reset" does anything.

I've tried all of that. Nothing works.

Think I'm on the verge of a factory reset.

Thanks for your help/suggestions though.

Last edited:

Sincs

Oct 25, 2012
Visit site
Hopefully a final update....

Noticed that the heating up and constant syncing/play store data use seemed to always take place after making or receiving a phone call. Not sure why the dialer would kick this off... But anyway, last night I removed all updates from everything 'Google' I could find on this phone. Allowed them all to auto update again, rebooted, and prayed.

So far today everything seems fine. Keep me in your prayers.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akbarramadhani12