LG G2: Should I take the plunge?

iN8ter

Banned
Jan 23, 2012
Visit site
Some of us actually factor in the Software features of the phone. I don't buy chips. Like I said, if I was just buying hardware then I probably would have made a difference choice, but the software features and the quality of the software on the device is a major factor - as is support and reliable/timely FW updates - something LG is not necessarily known for...

I've not heard any complaints so far. I see you're using the 5S. If i were you i'd be significantly more worried about the build quality of your own phone than the g2.
Apple products dominate list of 'most breakable gadgets'

Probably because you do not know the difference between build quality and durability.

And that button placement is not a selling point to many people, from what I've heard people saying about this device in the carrier stores. Me, personally, could never use it because I'd never be able to keep a comfortable grip and still operate the device's volume or power buttons - something that is trivial on devices like the One, GS4, iPhone, etc.

I don't care what the OP buys. Everyone has opinions and you're free to disagree with mine...

iN8ter

Banned
Jan 23, 2012
Visit site
What other hardware can I get with a 5.2 in. IPS LCD screen and rear mounted buttons? I already purchased the phone anyways.

If you're looking specifically for rear mounted buttons, no where else.

Cause no other OEM is going to forcefully limit their own sales potential by designing a device in such a discriminating fashion :)

Illustrator Joe

Apr 16, 2012
Visit site
If you're looking specifically for rear mounted buttons, no where else.

Cause no other OEM is going to forcefully limit their own sales potential by designing a device in such a discriminating fashion :)

I get that you don't like it, which is fine. You are entitled to you opinion. But you aren't adding anything constructive to the conversation. Like I said I already purchased the phone. Coming from the Nexus 4 I am sure it will be a huge upgrade to me. The rear mounted buttons will be hit or miss, which is fine.

iN8ter

Banned
Jan 23, 2012
Visit site
I get that you don't like it, which is fine. You are entitled to you opinion. But you aren't adding anything constructive to the conversation. Like I said I already purchased the phone. Coming from the Nexus 4 I am sure it will be a huge upgrade to me. The rear mounted buttons will be hit or miss, which is fine.

You asked a question. I answered it.
MY answer is as constructive as the question I was replying to.

Sent from my 🍎 📱 5S using Tapatalk

Illustrator Joe

Apr 16, 2012
Visit site
You asked a question. I answered it.
MY answer is as constructive as the question I was replying to.

Sent from my �� �� 5S using Tapatalk

No, all you said to start was that LG's UI is terrible and that you liked the camera. But the UI is without a doubt the most subjective part of the whole phone. Example Samsung and Touchwiz, at the forefront of Android sales and yet probably the most vocally hated UI. Just saying you like/don't like something is not constructive. In my original post I have concerns about specific parts of the phone, none being UI, Camera, or plastic build.

Also using NOVA on my Note 2 when I had it only affected very minimal software features, like the inability to used a few stock widgets. Everything else was fully functioning.

iN8ter

Banned
Jan 23, 2012
Visit site
No, all you said to start was that LG's UI is terrible and that you liked the camera. But the UI is without a doubt the most subjective part of the whole phone. Example Samsung and Touchwiz, at the forefront of Android sales and yet probably the most vocally hated UI. Just saying you don't like/don't like something is not constructive. In my original post I have concerns about specific parts of the phone, none being UI, Camera, or plastic build.

Also using NOVA on my Note 2 when I had it only affected very minimal software features, like the inability to used a few stock widgets. Everything else was fully functioning.

Not sure why you're crying. You asked a specific question directed to me, specifically. I replies. The end.

Go to post #42 if you don't get it.

RobotHeaven

Nov 29, 2013
Visit site
And that button placement is not a selling point to many people, from what I've heard people saying about this device in the carrier stores.
Are you sure?
Before i bought the phone i read many reviews about it, and one thing i noticed is that the only people who didn't like were some professional reviewers who had only used the phone for review purposes. Maybe because some people don't like change and new ideas (as you're an iphone owner i can truly see why you don't like anything original or new, having become accustomed to buying rehash after rehash after rehash from Apple). Even many professional reviewers updated their opinion favourably after further use.

Also, when you ask people who actually own the phone, only 0.06% of 276 g2 owers in this poll said they prefered standard button placements
Poll: Rear buttons; Love them or Hate them? - xda-developers

Last edited:

iN8ter

Banned
Jan 23, 2012
Visit site
Are you sure?
Before i bought the phone i read many reviews about it, and one thing i noticed is that the only people who didn't like were some professional reviewers who had only used the phone for review purposes. Maybe because some people don't like change and new ideas (as you're an iphone owner i can truly see why you don't like anything original or new, having become accustomed to buying rehash after rehash after rehash from Apple). Even many professional reviewers updated their opinion favourably after further use.

Also, when you ask people who actually own the phone, only 0.06% of 276 g2 owers in this poll said they prefered standard button placements
Poll: Rear buttons; Love them or Hate them? - xda-developers

Small sample size and iirc the devices missed sales projections. Also asking people who already own it biases the results into uselessness. If they didn't. They wouldn't have bought it and most people want to justify their investment .

I said most. Not all.

AZDroid

Jan 3, 2010
Visit site
I was trying to decide between the G2 & the Moto X. I wanted the larger screen of the G2 but the idea of the rear buttons seemed like it would be awful.

But I went to my local VZW store and spent some hands-on time with it and found that it's really quite easy to get used to.

I think we automatically balk at something so different & assume it is a terrible idea. I definitely recommend to anyone to try it out before you buy, but it really was not deal breaker

Sent from my VS980 4G using AC Forums mobile app

Illustrator Joe

Apr 16, 2012
Visit site
I was trying to decide between the G2 & the Moto X. I wanted the larger screen of the G2 but the idea of the rear buttons seemed like it would be awful.

But I went to my local VZW store and spent some hands-on time with it and found that it's really quite easy to get used to.

I think we automatically balk at something so different & assume it is a terrible idea. I definitely recommend to anyone to try it out before you buy, but it really was not deal breaker

Hey AZ. Thank you for your objective and useful post. I agree people tend to reject change in design, or change in general. Personally I am looking forward to trying something new.

AZDroid

Jan 3, 2010
Visit site
The one big possible negative is the fact that the camera is right above the buttons. So when you're first trying to get a feel for the buttons you're inadvertently smearing up your camera. I am a notorious phone dropper so I bought the Incipio DualPro case right away. The case actually makes it easier to use the buttons and makes it harder to accidentally touch the camera.

People who like naked phones might hate that ☺

Illustrator Joe

Apr 16, 2012
Visit site
The one big possible negative is the fact that the camera is right above the buttons. So when you're first trying to get a feel for the buttons you're inadvertently smearing up your camera. I am a notorious phone dropper so I bought the Incipio DualPro case right away. The case actually makes it easier to use the buttons and makes it harder to accidentally touch the camera.

People who like naked phones might hate that ☺

I have heard that exact issue before. The case mine came with is the Spigen Slim Armor so the buttons and camera are set back like the Dual Pro case so I should be good. Honestly I want a better camera than my Nexus 4 (which isn't saying much) but I don't take pictures too often, but when I do it would be nice if they looked better. I have a DSLR for when I need a really good picture.

Illustrator Joe

Apr 16, 2012
Visit site

lexfrancis

May 25, 2013
Visit site
Using third party launchers negates potential reasons for buying the phone.

If you're just buying for hardware then there are other phones with hardware just as good but less glossy plastic build quality.

The stock launcher alone doesn't really offer any features that differentiate the g2 from anything else. The only thing different about it is that you can do the zoom in gesture to move the apps out of the way to view the background. The software features that differentiate the g2 are found pretty much everywhere except for the launcher.

Sent from my LG-D802 using AC Forums mobile app