LG G2: Should I take the plunge?

Illustrator Joe

Apr 16, 2012
Visit site
I have been surfing ebay and other internet retailers for a good deal on an AT&T LG G2. I currently have a Nexus 4 and I am a bit bored of it and would like a bigger better screen (but not overly big). I don't mind a used phone as long as it looks and functions like new. I have some bids going now and I will definitely buy if I can do it for $300 or under (on "new" or "like new"). I don't mind the that the LG G2 has been out for a bit and hasn't been updated yet, I am perfectly content with Jelly Bean, there isn't much new that is a must have in Kit Kat for my needs. So what do you guys think? Is the LG G2 still a good phone to pick up for $300?

Somethings that concern me:
-The size it doesn't seem too much bigger than the Nexus 4. I have held a Samsung Galaxy S4 and didn't mind that size.
-AT&T Battery life. I have heard this phone has great battery life, but on the forums I have read horror stories about the AT&T model battery life.
-New phones are coming out! This doesn't really bother me, new phones are always right around the corner. My contract isn't up for a bit, I just need something to hold me over.

Input! Yours! Appreciated!

Last edited by a moderator:

NoNexus

May 10, 2013
Visit site
Re: Should I take the plunge?

If you had the S4 for a bit then the G2 will not bother you. I think that the, what 1/4 inch, is not a big deal. If you were going to a Note I would tell you to not go there if you worry about size.

I am not sure what the deal is about the battery life. I had the G2 in a really crappy signal area on T mobile (it is the only kind of signal they get here, but i digress) and the battery made it through the day. Unless it is something ATT specific, I would not worry about it. You will at least get the same as the N4. I am not sure if you are a rooter at all, but if so I would freeze all the ATT crap and maybe that will solve your issue.

There are always new phones like you said. Since your contract isnt coming up, they really shouldnt be a concern.

You know me from the comments section and you know I have a Note. I that phone did not exist at all, I would have gotten a G2 without a doubt. You will see vast camera improvements over the N4, some cool features, decent build quality, and a few other neat tricks. When I was looking for the upgrade it was the S4, G2 and One. G2 would have won by distance.

I knwo they do not matter in the case of 4.3 to 4.4 but remember that future updates are going to be just as tough.

Illustrator Joe

Apr 16, 2012
Visit site

If you had the S4 for a bit then the G2 will not bother you. I think that the, what 1/4 inch, is not a big deal. If you were going to a Note I would tell you to not go there if you worry about size.

I am not sure what the deal is about the battery life. I had the G2 in a really crappy signal area on T mobile (it is the only kind of signal they get here, but i digress) and the battery made it through the day. Unless it is something ATT specific, I would not worry about it. You will at least get the same as the N4. I am not sure if you are a rooter at all, but if so I would freeze all the ATT crap and maybe that will solve your issue.

There are always new phones like you said. Since your contract isnt coming up, they really shouldnt be a concern.

You know me from the comments section and you know I have a Note. I that phone did not exist at all, I would have gotten a G2 without a doubt. You will see vast camera improvements over the N4, some cool features, decent build quality, and a few other neat tricks. When I was looking for the upgrade it was the S4, G2 and One. G2 would have won by distance.

I knwo they do not matter in the case of 4.3 to 4.4 but remember that future updates are going to be just as tough.

Hey NoNexus,
Thanks for the response. I had the Note 2 for about 6 months, that is how I know that the size is not for me. I agree 1/4 of an inch isn't a big deal at all. I miss a lot about my Note that I am not getting from the Nexus (though it is a great phone for what I paid). Just bored really. The battery size and camera on the G2 intrigues me. It is good to hear from you that you would be using the G2 if it were not for the Note 3. I trust your personal opinion, you have used a lot of phones. Anyways if you see any good deals on "new" or "like new" G2's send them my way. :D

SactoKingsFan

Nov 1, 2013
Visit site

Get the G2 if you can find one for $300. Anything under 400 for a like new G2 is a good deal.

I've had the AT&T G2 for almost three months. Never had any significant battery issues. After rooting, disabling carrier IQ, removing carrier & LG bloatware, and using Greenify to hibernate unused apps I now get 6-8 hrs. Screen time and charge the phone every other day.

The size of the phone won't be an issue if you can easily hold the S4. It actually feels better holding the G2 since the power and volume buttons are conveniently placed on the back.

If you end up rooting the phone I suggest Xposed framework to tweak the UI.

Sent from my Xposed LG-G2 using Tapatalk

Michaelk0105

Dec 1, 2013
Visit site

I'll second the above. The screen size is very good for the size of the phone though, 5.2" and very thin bezels is great.

I have a euro model (in the uk) and battery life is good. Using otg or playing games drains it but so would any other phone. The camera is good, but has some issues. Have a look around here to see what others have said. At the moment, this is the best overall phone out there (excluding so called phablets like the note 3).

But, ther G3 and SGS5 are around the corner and they are said to be amazing bits of kit. Might be worth seeing if prices for G2 drop significantly as the launches for them draw nearer.

Illustrator Joe

Apr 16, 2012
Visit site

Get the G2 if you can find one for $300. Anything under 400 for a like new G2 is a good deal.

I've had the AT&T G2 for almost three months. Never had any significant battery issues. After rooting, disabling carrier IQ, removing carrier & LG bloatware, and using Greenify to hibernate unused apps I now get 6-8 hrs. Screen time and charge the phone every other day.

The size of the phone won't be an issue if you can easily hold the S4. It actually feels better holding the G2 since the power and volume buttons are conveniently placed on the back.

I do not plan of rooting, but I am curious about the battery life for non-rooted AT&T version. The way I use my phone I tend to get pretty good battery life. With my note 2 I could get like 2 full days on average. With my Nexus 4 I can always get 1 full day, I know that isn't the case for a lot of people.

Illustrator Joe

Apr 16, 2012
Visit site

I'll second the above. The screen size is very good for the size of the phone though, 5.2" and very thin bezels is great.

I have a euro model (in the uk) and battery life is good. Using otg or playing games drains it but so would any other phone. The camera is good, but has some issues. Have a look around here to see what others have said. At the moment, this is the best overall phone out there (excluding so called phablets like the note 3).

But, ther G3 and SGS5 are around the corner and they are said to be amazing bits of kit. Might be worth seeing if prices for G2 drop significantly as the launches for them draw nearer.

I have heard good things about the camera. Just curious what are the cons about the camera in your experience?

SactoKingsFan

Nov 1, 2013
Visit site

I do not plan of rooting, but I am curious about the battery life for non-rooted AT&T version. The way I use my phone I tend to get pretty good battery life. With my note 2 I could get like 2 full days on average. With my Nexus 4 I can always get 1 full day, I know that isn't the case for a lot of people.

I had everything stock without root for the first two weeks. Screen time and overall battery life improved ~20% after rooting and tweaking a few things. Battery life should still be very good on a non-rooted G2. From all the tests I've seen only the Note and Droid Maxx get better battery life.

Illustrator Joe

Apr 16, 2012
Visit site

I had everything stock without root for the first two weeks. Screen time and overall battery life improved ~20% after rooting and tweaking a few things. Battery life should still be very good on a non-rooted G2. From all the tests I've seen only the Note and Droid Maxx get better battery life.

Well it has got to be better than my N4. Honestly if I can go 1 day that is what is important, and it sounds like that is an easy task for the G2.

NoNexus

May 10, 2013
Visit site

Well it has got to be better than my N4. Honestly if I can go 1 day that is what is important, and it sounds like that is an easy task for the G2.

I am not sure what others are talking about with the camera but it is still better than the N4 if it does have issue. I can say that it took better pictures than the SGS3 I had at the time, which I would expect, and looking in my dropbox they look on par with my Note 3 (13MP on both). Maybe a little less but it hard to judge cameras side by side on different images.

If you are just hoping for a full day of moderate/above average battery, you will have it. Pretty easily I would think as well.

i would not expect (but you can always hope!) that the prices will drop with MWC. It only came out in September and will have many of the same specs as the flagships that will be announced.

it would be a steal at around 300$ off contract. $400 might be pushing it considering you can walk into tmo and get it at 499$

Side note: Kinda funny the way that LG is trying to put out the phones on a different cycle as everyone else. Flagships in the fall and "Note" like in the spring. I am not sure that it is a real good idea.

Yeah I am kinda lucky that work lets me get my hands on all these phones. I still need Sony to hit on 3 carriers so I can play with some of them...

Illustrator Joe

Apr 16, 2012
Visit site

I am not sure what others are talking about with the camera but it is still better than the N4 if it does have issue. I can say that it took better pictures than the SGS3 I had at the time, which I would expect, and looking in my dropbox they look on par with my Note 3 (13MP on both). Maybe a little less but it hard to judge cameras side by side on different images.

If you are just hoping for a full day of moderate/above average battery, you will have it. Pretty easily I would think as well.

i would not expect (but you can always hope!) that the prices will drop with MWC. It only came out in September and will have many of the same specs as the flagships that will be announced.

it would be a steal at around 300$ off contract. $400 might be pushing it considering you can walk into tmo and get it at 499$

Side note: Kinda funny the way that LG is trying to put out the phones on a different cycle as everyone else. Flagships in the fall and "Note" like in the spring. I am not sure that it is a real good idea.

Yeah I am kinda lucky that work lets me get my hands on all these phones. I still need Sony to hit on 3 carriers so I can play with some of them...

I agree with the LG cycles part for sure. Yeah, I am having a hard time with my under $300 goal though. Even the slightly used ones seem to be going for $350+ most of the time. I don't usually bid, I almost always do "buy it now" but I am not really on a time frame so trying to get a deal. I have been looking on ebay, swappa, and craigslist (in my city) not really sure of any other reputable places to look.

austriak

May 25, 2011
Visit site
I have been surfing ebay and other internet retailers for a good deal on an AT&T LG G2. I currently have a Nexus 4 and I am a bit bored of it and would like a bigger better screen (but not overly big). I don't mind a used phone as long as it looks and functions like new. I have some bids going now and I will definitely buy if I can do it for $300 or under (on "new" or "like new"). I don't mind the that the LG G2 has been out for a bit and hasn't been updated yet, I am perfectly content with Jelly Bean, there isn't much new that is a must have in Kit Kat for my needs. So what do you guys think? Is the LG G2 still a good phone to pick up for $300?

Somethings that concern me:
-The size it doesn't seem too much bigger than the Nexus 4. I have held a Samsung Galaxy S4 and didn't mind that size.
-AT&T Battery life. I have heard this phone has great battery life, but on the forums I have read horror stories about the AT&T model battery life.
-New phones are coming out! This doesn't really bother me, new phones are always right around the corner. My contract isn't up for a bit, I just need something to hold me over.

Input! Yours! Appreciated!

I know the prices on Ebay really well because I've been watching it a lot lately. I actually just bought a new AT&T LG G2 on ebay two days ago. If you are looking for new to like new for $300 or less, you will be disappointed. New ranges from $390s to $430s+. Used in like new condition usually go from $360s to $380s and sometimes more. You might see them on ebay for $300 or less right now but as they get close to the end, they jump quite a bit. I've seen them go for $350 to $360 on swappa.com but I just checked and they are all asking over $400 right now.

NoNexus

May 10, 2013
Visit site
Just make sure if you get it on Craigslist list you do the swap at the store so they can check the imei (or whatever it is) so you know it isn't stolen. EBay and the others you have protection against it

-------------------------------------------
Kit Kat tastes like Jellybeans. Can't tell them apart...

Illustrator Joe

Apr 16, 2012
Visit site
Just make sure if you get it on Craigslist list you do the swap at the store so they can check the imei (or whatever it is) so you know it isn't stolen. EBay and the others you have protection against it

-------------------------------------------
Kit Kat tastes like Jellybeans. Can't tell them apart...

yeah, I sell on craigslist a lot, but rarely buy. There are no AT&T LG G2s listed in the past week in my town, so doubt that is going to happen anyways. I will most likely do Swappa or Ebay in which I will be protected.

Illustrator Joe

Apr 16, 2012
Visit site
I know the prices on Ebay really well because I've been watching it a lot lately. I actually just bought a new AT&T LG G2 on ebay two days ago. If you are looking for new to like new for $300 or less, you will be disappointed. New ranges from $390s to $430s+. Used in like new condition usually go from $360s to $380s and sometimes more. You might see them on ebay for $300 or less right now but as they get close to the end, they jump quite a bit. I've seen them go for $350 to $360 on swappa.com but I just checked and they are all asking over $400 right now.

Yeah I will keep an eye on swappa. I will adjust my expectation to a more realistic price. I will pay a max of $360. I know I saw one on swappa in good condition sell for that recently, so if I am patient I bet I will find something. Thanks for your input.

erwaso

Mar 11, 2011
Visit site

For the AT&T version: After rooting, what is needed to disable and remove carrier IQ and bloatware? Titanium backup?

I havent rooted/ROM'd in 2 years lol

SactoKingsFan

Nov 1, 2013
Visit site

For the AT&T version: After rooting, what is needed to disable and remove carrier IQ and bloatware? Titanium backup?

I havent rooted/ROM'd in 2 years lol

You could use Titanium, but I used ROM Toolbox to freeze bloatware, then I removed bloatware when I knew everything was working properly.

System Tuner was used to disable Carrier IQ.

System apps>Android system>uncheck all carrier IQ activities (7 boxes)

Then run carrier IQ detector. It will show up as disabled.

NoNexus

May 10, 2013
Visit site

If your not going to ROM it is best just to freeze, makes taking the OTAs easier because your not getting on without the crapware.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Unknown