LG G2 vs Samsung S4

jcochran1977

Sep 30, 2009
Visit site
I am so torn. I have seen pics taken with them both and the LG G2 camera kind of appears to beat out the S4... Any opinions would be very greatly appreciated.

What would I be giving up if I chose the G2 or S4?

Thank you

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
I'm honestly not aware of any downside of choosing the G2 over the S4. As far as I know, it's equal to or better than the S4 in every category (camera, software, UI fluidity, speed, etc).

SactoKingsFan

Nov 1, 2013
Visit site
The G2 and S4 are capable of taking very good pics. My G2 had some issues with low light situations and moving objects. Fixed these issues by installing Xdabebb's camera mod. Now it takes great pics and has HDR video mode.

The G2 also has low headphone and speaker volume. Using a volume mod or Viper4Android can significantly increase the volume. I installed V4A since it has good EQ, volume booster, and other nice sound settings.

Once those issues are addressed, I think the G2 is a better phone than the S4. It has knock on/off, no lag at all, significantly better battery life (6-8 hrs. Screen time) , charges faster, bigger screen and innovative back buttons.

The main reasons to buy the S4 are the SD slot, removable battery, and if you happen to prefer Samsung's AMOLED over the IPS LCD on the G2.

Sent from my Xposed LG-G2 using Tapatalk

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site
Ok I will throw another wrench.. I have a Moto X but hate the camera but love the phone..

What choice would you make there?

I would keep the Moto X. The only downside it has is a worse camera. Software is better than both the GS4 and G2 by far.
As far as your original question.
G2: Battery life, speed, on screen buttons.
S4: No weird button placement, screen, camera and expandable storage

Sent from my Galaxy S4 running SlimKat 4.4.2

SactoKingsFan

Nov 1, 2013
Visit site
I would pick the G2 and some other phones (Nexus 5, Xperia Z1, Z1 compact) over the Moto X. The sub-par camera of the Moto X is one of the main reasons I looked at other phones.

And if you prefer the UI of the Moto X, the G2 is easy to root and install a custom ROM or apply various mods to change the UI.

RobotHeaven

Nov 29, 2013
Visit site
I would say get the g2 unless expandable memory and removable battery is of utmost importance. In most other cases, the g2 is either equal or better.

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site
I would pick the G2 and some other phones (Nexus 5, Xperia Z1, Z1 compact) over the Moto X. The sub-par camera of the Moto X is one of the main reasons I looked at other phones.

And if you prefer the UI of the Moto X, the G2 is easy to root and install a custom ROM or apply various mods to change the UI.

Even with custom ROMs, no phone comes close to the Moto X. Active display and always listening is actually really useful. Using Tasker or Llama profiles to replicate those features will kill the battery. Ergonomics and better radios won't come with ROMs.

SactoKingsFan

Nov 1, 2013
Visit site
Even with custom ROMs, no phone comes close to the Moto X. Active display and always listening is actually really useful. Using Tasker or Llama profiles to replicate those features will kill the battery. Ergonomics and better radios won't come with ROMs.

This is all very subjective. Both are great phones for different reasons. I personally think battery life and camera are more important than the UI or always listening. Dynamic notifications provides a similar experience to active display and I don't really like talking to my phone.

Although the Moto X may be the ideal size for some, the G2 fits in my hands better than the Moto X. I will probably buy LG phones in the future due to battery life, camera and back buttons.

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site
This is all very subjective. Both are great phones for different reasons. I personally think battery life and camera are more important than the UI or always listening. Dynamic notifications provides a similar experience to active display and I don't really like talking to my phone.

Although the Moto X may be the ideal size for some, the G2 fits in my hands better than the Moto X. I will probably buy LG phones in the future due to battery life, camera and back buttons.

Very true. I have no problem using the S4 but one handed use is still a lot better with the Moto X. Camera is definitely not very good in anything other than great lighting.
Battery life is more than good enough.
That being said, it the Moto X2 has a better camera and even better battery life, it will likely be my next phone

lexfrancis

May 25, 2013
Visit site
I am so torn. I have seen pics taken with them both and the LG G2 camera kind of appears to beat out the S4... Any opinions would be very greatly appreciated.

What would I be giving up if I chose the G2 or S4?

Thank you

I'd say the g2 was better hands down. Advantages of the s4 are the removable battery and sd card slot. The buttons on the back of the g2 could be a hit or miss. Personally, I don't think they make much practical difference, other than allowing for thinner bezels, but I don't dislike them. Aside from those things, the g2 is better in pretty much every way. It has a bigger battery, slightly better camera, is faster, and has a better set of software features IMO. Knock on/off for example, I really don't know why every other phone doesn't have that.

Sent from my LG-D802 using AC Forums mobile app

lexfrancis

May 25, 2013
Visit site
Ok I will throw another wrench.. I have a Moto X but hate the camera but love the phone..

What choice would you make there?

I reckon that's a more difficult choice. The g2 has the better camera, battery and screen, but I like the size of the moto x and it has some good software features. I'd probably have still gone with the g2 if I had the choice to get a moto x, because of the camera. But I wouldn't necessarily say it's the better choice for someone else.

lexfrancis

May 25, 2013
Visit site
Other phones don't need it :)

Yeah but still, when the phone's resting on it's back, it's easier to tap the screen to unlock it rather than gripping it to press a button. Also, what if the button breaks? I broke the home button on my ipod, it's possible.

betty_boop245

Jan 26, 2013
Visit site
I had an S4 before my G2, and IMO, the G2 is better in every way. My S4 lagged like hell, it drove me nuts, and the camera on G2 is better, and I prefer the G2 screen. I also prefer LG's skin over Touchwiz, the features included are more useful Knock on/off and quiet time being my 2 favourites. I love my G2, It's so snappy, and most important, no lag!

Posted via Android Central App on my awesome LG G2

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site
Yeah but still, when the phone's resting on it's back, it's easier to tap the screen to unlock it rather than gripping it to press a button. Also, what if the button breaks? I broke the home button on my ipod, it's possible.

I prefer Moto's active display for waking up the phone

lexfrancis

May 25, 2013
Visit site
I prefer Moto's active display for waking up the phone

Idk how that works exactly. I know it comes on when you take the phone out of your pocket, but say the phone is on its back, how would you get the active display to come on?

undulose

Jan 3, 2014
Visit site
Why don't you wait for MWC next week where newer flagships will be announced?

Sent from my Nokia Lumia 1520 (RM-937 Malaysia) using Tapatalk